There was a coo

I think we've been a bit hard done by with the fixtures here.  A 3 week break for us and our players tired towards the end while Berwick have had a game every weekend when we were off.  Sums up how diddy a league the Lowland is!

8 hours ago, Only coo in the village said:

Think the club can put any spin they like on this and make optimistic noises but this has been another truly shit season. The worst in our entire history it goes without saying. 
Cowden are scrabbling about the bottom reaches of a truly dreadful league. Next year is just going to be even harder. 
Ross speaks well but he is ultimately responsible for terrible recruitment and for our league position. Another in the long line of failed managerial appointments we have witnessed for far too long. 

Not so sure about a long line, more a mixed bag ?

Liam Fox didn’t work out.
Gary Locke kept us up then left.

Billy Brown was a disaster

Gary Bollan kept us up but stayed around too long 

Ross, jury still out for me, starting from scratch with a few weeks to get a team together and still building with players going in and out, second half of the season will tell if right appointment.

I think we've been a bit hard done by with the fixtures here.  A 3 week break for us and our players tired towards the end while Berwick have had a game every weekend when we were off.  Sums up how diddy a league the Lowland is!

Three weeks off should have enabled injuries to clear and some decent training to take place. Players shouldn’t be tiring towards the end of games any more than other teams players especially if they are younger.
Wasn’t that long ago we were complaining about too many games!

21 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Three weeks off should have enabled injuries to clear and some decent training to take place. Players shouldn’t be tiring towards the end of games any more than other teams players especially if they are younger.
Wasn’t that long ago we were complaining about too many games!

But you lose match sharpness when you don’t have games - you also tire if you have put more intensity into the earlier part of the game than your opponents.  Hence the subs were required - these 3 week spells without a game are not at all helpful.  

48 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

But you lose match sharpness when you don’t have games - you also tire if you have put more intensity into the earlier part of the game than your opponents.  Hence the subs were required - these 3 week spells without a game are not at all helpful.  

Yep agree, and we now have a spell of 5 games in 15 days before another 3 week break after that (unless any games can be rearranged). Crazy schedule. 🤨

4 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Well we should be sweeping all aside? I don’t think so.

Yeah, I don’t think anyone is expecting that.

As things stand, according to the fixture list on the club’s website, Cowden have the following schedule between 9 October and 2 December;

21 days - zero matches

15 days - 5 matches

21 days - zero matches

It’s absolute madness how the fixture list is made up. Unfair on the players and unfair in the fans.

I appreciate that some of these gaps are due to being out of various cups, but there has to be a better way than this to balance things out.

And you guessed it, at the end of the period I have noted above, we then have 6 matches in December, and 2 more in the first week in January.

30 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

As things stand, according to the fixture list on the club’s website, Cowden have the following schedule between 9 October and 2 December;

21 days - zero matches

15 days - 5 matches

21 days - zero matches

It’s absolute madness how the fixture list is made up. Unfair on the players and unfair in the fans.

I appreciate that some of these gaps are due to being out of various cups, but there has to be a better way than this to balance things out.

And you guessed it, at the end of the period I have noted above, we then have 6 matches in December, and 2 more in the first week in January.

Not too sure why you'd start counting from a Sunday and end on a Friday unless you want to play on back to back dates.

Sat 08/10 @ East Kilbride
m/w
Sat 15/10 (SCC/EoS)
m/w
Sat 22/10 (Scottish/EoS)
m/w
Sat 29/10 @ Berwick Rangers
m/w @ Caledonian Braves
Sat 5/11 v. Cumbernauld Colts
m/w v. Bo'ness United
Sat 12/11 @ Civil Service Strollers

m/w
Sat 19/11 (SCC/EoS)
m/w
Sat 26/11 (Scottish/EoS)
m/w
Sat 03/12 @ Gretna 2008

Bo'ness United should be free for the 26th November. They've got a SCC game on the 19th but their EoS opponent is in the Scottish on the 26th. Could offer to move the game.

10 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Not too sure why you'd start counting from a Sunday and end on a Friday unless you want to play on back to back dates.

Sat 08/10 @ East Kilbride
m/w
Sat 15/10 (SCC/EoS)
m/w
Sat 22/10 (Scottish/EoS)
m/w
Sat 29/10 @ Berwick Rangers
m/w @ Caledonian Braves
Sat 5/11 v. Cumbernauld Colts
m/w v. Bo'ness United
Sat 12/11 @ Civil Service Strollers

m/w
Sat 19/11 (SCC/EoS)
m/w
Sat 26/11 (Scottish/EoS)
m/w
Sat 03/12 @ Gretna 2008

Bo'ness United should be free for the 26th November. They've got a SCC game on the 19th but their EoS opponent is in the Scottish on the 26th. Could offer to move the game.

Just demonstrating the number of days, nothing more than that. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Would seem to make sense to move any midweek games to a free date if possible.

1 hour ago, Cowdenleith said:

21 days - zero matches

15 days - 5 matches

21 days - zero matches

The postponement of South Challenge Cup second round games to the third round date didn't help matters, as that would've increased the chances of more LL teams being available to rearrange games. As it was only, yourselves, Gretna and OG Broomhill (+the B teams) were free on 15th October. Maybe they didn't want to host you? (assuming you asked)

Your midweek December away game at OG Broomhill could move to 19th November if they wanted.

Suppose the other way of doing the fixtures would be to fill all these two cup Saturdays with matches rather than scheduling any in midweek, but then you would likely end up with games being postponed a few weeks beforehand when your opponents progress in the cups. Not great if you sell hospitality and end up having to cancel.

Edited by Ginaro

22 hours ago, Only coo in the village said:

Think the club can put any spin they like on this and make optimistic noises but this has been another truly shit season. The worst in our entire history it goes without saying. 
Cowden are scrabbling about the bottom reaches of a truly dreadful league. Next year is just going to be even harder. 
Ross speaks well but he is ultimately responsible for terrible recruitment and for our league position. Another in the long line of failed managerial appointments we have witnessed for far too long. 

Been reading all the comments on here.

Personally I feel it’s unfair to judge Ross so quickly. I know there’s no patience in football etc. but who is going to sign an entire new squad and get it right? 
Realistically he must need 2/3 years to have a fair chance. He’s also going to need to get lucky with some signings. 

I do agree though that the results have been poor overall so far. 
With the way the LL is, the season is virtually over for Cowden so maybe they can play pressure free and develop throughout the season.

Personally I feel it’s unfair to judge Ross so quickly. I know there’s no patience in football etc. but who is going to sign an entire new squad and get it right? 
Realistically he must need 2/3 years to have a fair chance. He’s also going to need to get lucky with some signings. 
With the way the LL is, the season is virtually over for Cowden so maybe they can play pressure free and develop throughout the season.

At the end of the season we’ll probably lose all the players or at least those that are any good so it’ll be back to square one.
How on earth will we ever get out of this league?

40 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

At the end of the season we’ll probably lose all the players or at least those that are any good so it’ll be back to square one.
How on earth will we ever get out of this league?

A lot of our players are on 18 month or two year deals.

18 hours ago, big al said:

Your spot on.

I was watching MOTD at the weekend and Antonio from West Ham was talking about Notts Forest and how the 20 players they signed will mean the Manager still won’t know his best 11 and then when he does, he will only be able to make one or two changes at a time till he learns about the players.

I know we are not West Ham ! but the lessons will be the same I think.

21 hours ago, big al said:

I get what you are saying and you do make a valid point regarding the time needed to build a team from scratch. There have been a few promising results and the recent lack of games won’t have helped either in maintaining match sharpness. I just wonder how long Ross will be willing to stick around if his teams continue to make little impact in a poor league. It’s not going to enhance his reputation any. Not sure what type of salary he is on but finances are going to be even tighter next season.

progression up the league towards a more respectable position is surely the least we should be able to expect by the end of the season. At least that would demonstrate that there could be something to build upon.