There was a coo

1 minute ago, monthecoo said:

I think it was a decent performance today against the Olympic diving team. I have messaged Tom Daley to ask if he needs a new synchronised diving partner as #7 Dishington and #6 Armstrong showed some beautiful repeated diving techniques tonight.

As I said we looked much better against more competent opposition than we ever have this season. Overall, a win for them was probably a fair result just and no more. We could have easily have had a draw tonight, sadly just did not have the clinical edge that was needed.

I would like to say I thought Danny Farrell was fantastic tonight. He kept us in the match and almost saved the winning goal. The team and the performances have certainly improved so credit to Maurice. We will pick up points against the lower half quite often if we continue this level of performance from the last two games. I feel we are a bit away from grinding out results against more competent teams like tonight on a consistent basis. But I feel we can get to this level with Maurice with time and long-term strategy to fund the club similar to Spartans setup.

Come on the Cowden.

Fingers crossed. Certainly for the club to succeed It's going to require continued hard work both on and off the park. The club has never needed as much support as it does now.

Certainly improvements but unfortunately not the start to the season we would have liked.

6 minutes ago, Cowden316 said:

Fingers crossed. Certainly for the club to succeed It's going to require continued hard work both on and off the park. The club has never needed as much support as it does now.

Certainly improvements but unfortunately not the start to the season we would have liked.

Need to focus on the here and now though and look forward. Continuing to get better each game then some momentum hopefully.

I do think which would come down to finances to fund prize money that the SPFL should create an SPFL National League Conference 5th Tier consisting of 24 clubs with two automatic promotions to League 2 and a playoff place for third. 

Unlikely to be voted through but the more clubs that come down other clubs may accept this as a further cushion as a lot of clubs will be pulled through the trapdoor eventually to the Lowland and Highland 

Edited by Cowden316

53 minutes ago, big al said:

Agree with onecowden, very little between the teams.

Cowden struck the woodwork although Spartans had a few opportunities and the keeper had 2/3 good saves.

Big 5 caught the eye abit , he uses the ball really well with his left foot. 
Don’t understand that every single player is withdrawn in to the 18 yard box for all corners and free kicks, specially when losing and time running out. 
A mid table battle between 2 teams who’s league seasons are almost over already in such a big league. 

There was very little in the game  could easily have stole a point.

Agree with struggling to understand why we withdraw the whole team back when defending free kicks/corners. At one point Ross asked Carlos to get back in the box from being goal side already but outside the box. This resulted in the Spartans player following and 2 further players added to the already crowded box.

There were positives tonight and hopefully results will come soon against the teams above us. As others have said, the threat below is reduced so attacking more could be something we look to do moving forward.

1 hour ago, big al said:

Agree with onecowden, very little between the teams.

Cowden struck the woodwork although Spartans had a few opportunities and the keeper had 2/3 good saves.

Big 5 caught the eye abit , he uses the ball really well with his left foot. 
Don’t understand that every single player is withdrawn in to the 18 yard box for all corners and free kicks, specially when losing and time running out. 
A mid table battle between 2 teams who’s league seasons are almost over already in such a big league. 

Not sure if you're referring to Spartans' 5 or Cowdens.

Spartans' 5 was Kieran Watson. He was a product of Edinburgh City's youths and went to Penicuik. Gary Naysmith signed him on a pre-contract and then got himself sacked and Maybury likely didn't fancy him so Spartans gained a decent player 

Sadly the club are well up against it now. Relegated into a numpy league with little prospect of escape. Even most of  the die hards seem to have given up now. 
Glad to see that there are still great people trying to move things in the right direction.
On the park there are definitely signs of some  progress. Some experience has made a difference but it’s far  too late for this season, I was glad to watch us get such a convincing win on Saturday but in all honesty the standard of football was fairly poor. 
Not sure where the club goes from here tbh. Poor managerial appointments over a number of seasons have contributed to our decline. Don’t think Ross will stick around for long unless he is on decent money next season and I’m not sure he should. 

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Not sure if you're referring to Spartans' 5 or Cowdens.

Spartans' 5 was Kieran Watson. He was a product of Edinburgh City's youths and went to Penicuik. Gary Naysmith signed him on a pre-contract and then got himself sacked and Maybury likely didn't fancy him so Spartans gained a decent player 

Don’t really pay attention to opposition players. Was referring to the Cowden number 5. I only know the names of about half the Cowden team. They have signed about 25 players this season and barely heard of any before they signed so it’s not easy to keep up with who is who! 

49 minutes ago, big al said:

Agree with a previous poster, the goalie had a really good game and kept Cowden in it a few times.

From my angle it looked a poor goal to lose from the GKs perspective, shot seemed to go inside post then he parried it and it trickled into the net.

Frustrating game last night.

Two evenly matched teams.

Frustrating watching the embarrassing diving that was going on and a Ref who just kept falling for it and even more frustrating was the guy in the stand who kept shouting for a foul every single time a Spartans player was tackled. Can we not just chuck these arseholes out ?

I do think we are improving tho but with recent single goal losses to Bo’ness, Spartans and Stirling Uni, we seem to be a fraction short in competing with the top half teams at the moment. Hopefully we continue to improve as the season progresses. 

There was very little in the game  could easily have stole a point.
Agree with struggling to understand why we withdraw the whole team back when defending free kicks/corners. At one point Ross asked Carlos to get back in the box from being goal side already but outside the box. This resulted in the Spartans player following and 2 further players added to the already crowded box.
There were positives tonight and hopefully results will come soon against the teams above us. As others have said, the threat below is reduced so attacking more could be something we look to do moving forward.

Remember Cowden playing Peterhead and when they got a corner Cowden had three players on the centre line. Peterhead didn’t know what to do and the attack was nullified.

Officials were poor last night and easily conned. Spartans boss seemed an even bigger ranter than Maurice. Quite something watching the two of them raving in unison at their players l much preferred it when away fans went to the other stand. Having to listen to some of the rubbish spewed out from some of the Spartans fans was surprisingly really annoying.

Pulling everyone back for a corner is a pretty common tactic nowadays and many teams do it - there are pros and cons re it.  You saw yesterday right at the death when we pushed several players forward (as fans were urging) that Spartans almost scored from that particular corner 

Edited by Cowden Cowboy

Does Cowdenbeath have a link to Blue Brazil youth teams? If not, can that be possibility? This could provide a direct pathway from 5 year olds right up until U20’s

Could look at offering free entry for the youth players at Blue Brazil (giving them an opportunity to be ball boys etc)

Sorry - this might already be happening. But being from Fife I like to see all clubs doing well and thought I would offer some ideas.

Glenrothes have young glens, Dundonald now have a link with Glenrothes Athletic etc.

Having a clear pathway with a community club would be a massive help.

46 minutes ago, Connor7 said:

Does Cowdenbeath have a link to Blue Brazil youth teams? If not, can that be possibility? This could provide a direct pathway from 5 year olds right up until U20’s

Could look at offering free entry for the youth players at Blue Brazil (giving them an opportunity to be ball boys etc)

Sorry - this might already be happening. But being from Fife I like to see all clubs doing well and thought I would offer some ideas.

Glenrothes have young glens, Dundonald now have a link with Glenrothes Athletic etc.

Having a clear pathway with a community club would be a massive help.

We have had a few of their youngsters as guests of the club at a few games.

All under 12s get free entry to LL games.

We used to have a good youth set up but a combination of the SFA cutting grants and the Fife Elite academy seemed to end it all.

1 hour ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Pulling everyone back for a corner is a pretty common tactic nowadays and many teams do it - there are pros and cons re it.  You saw yesterday right at the death when we pushed several players forward (as fans were urging) that Spartans almost scored from that particular corner 

It is a common tactic, especially if you have a lead to hold on to.

Losing a mid table battle in the lowland league though, not sure that’s the time for it. 
Cowden weren’t really breaking them down in open play so a fast attack from the opponents being up the park for a corner is as good a ploy as any to try and nick the goal which they maybe deserved last night. 

7 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Just watched the whole game back as I do after every game.  I notice spartans also had every man back for a corner they were defending even at 0-0.

I think earlier in season we did lose soft goals from set plays and getting extra bodies to defend to ensure we don't concede is priority. You can keep 4 up if you want but if you can't win 1st and 2nd balls then get set into transition you won't set up counter attacks.

Clubs at much higher levels than lowland league have all men back at corners sometimes regardless of the scoreline. Maybe having 2 on edge of our penalty area ready to press the 2nd phase/wave of attack.

Anyhow games about opinions eh.

Disappointing result last night plenty of effort and endeavour and more organised but none the less a poor goal to concede and a shit defeat. We go again Saturday.

19 minutes ago, NELLY 1 said:

Just watched the whole game back as I do after every game.  I notice spartans also had every man back for a corner they were defending even at 0-0.

I think earlier in season we did lose soft goals from set plays and getting extra bodies to defend to ensure we don't concede is priority. You can keep 4 up if you want but if you can't win 1st and 2nd balls then get set into transition you won't set up counter attacks.

Clubs at much higher levels than lowland league have all men back at corners sometimes regardless of the scoreline. Maybe having 2 on edge of our penalty area ready to press the 2nd phase/wave of attack.

Disappointing result last night plenty of effort and endeavour and more organised but none the less a poor goal to concede and a shit defeat. We go again Saturday.

100% that we all have different opinions. That's what makes us all football experts.

I do see the reason for defending corners as we do but feel unlike teams at a higher level, we are unable to play our way out. Often our players are clearing their lines meaning the ball is coming straight back and we are once again under the cosh. 

I will never forget when involved with my son in an under 18 game the opposition leaving 4 on the half way line at a corner and couple outside the box. What a decision that left. BTW, not suggesting we do this 😁

Anyway, I will stick to selling things.

Hopefully get something on Saturday and then go on a run.

8 hours ago, NELLY 1 said:

Spartans were never chasing the game though as they were never behind.

Not creating much from open play only leaves fast breaks and set pieces.

With the size of this league, the season is virtually over as can’t go up or down. Losing at home to mid table team. I feel that’s the time for taking more chances.

Higher level teams take everyone back but then the fashion now is they like to play about at the back and try and entice the opposition up the park to create space to play around or through them to create. This style of play has probably never happened at Central Park.

Anyway it does look like the team is a bit better than earlier in the season.

100% that we all have different opinions. That's what makes us all football experts.
I do see the reason for defending corners as we do but feel unlike teams at a higher level, we are unable to play our way out. Often our players are clearing their lines meaning the ball is coming straight back and we are once again under the cosh. 
I will never forget when involved with my son in an under 18 game the opposition leaving 4 on the half way line at a corner and couple outside the box. What a decision that left. BTW, not suggesting we do this [emoji16]
Anyway, I will stick to selling things.
Hopefully get something on Saturday and then go on a run.

Cowden have done something similar years ago - and it worked.
Opposition totally confused.
Not suggesting this is done at every corner.