There was a coo

1 hour ago, NELLY 1 said:

It's sad that our crowd was 200 at weekend and our crowds are below teams in lower levels like Dunbar and musselburgh amongst many many others.

I actually came up with a potential idea of having a REUNION day game later in season. The idea being that for one game highlighted in the not to distant future we promote a game where we invite all past fans and ex players and family of current fans etc etc to the game with a reduced rate and through word of mouth or social media or simply texting your old cowden friends to say look cowden are having a reunion day where we can all meet again on the terrace and have that nostalgia feeling and meet old faces.

I would look to get 2 or 3 local pubs involved where I would say if they can put on an old game in their boozer for example one pub play cowden vs brechin and one pub put on cowden vs dunfermline pre game and get people into the pub b4 game also. Reduced entry for the game also.

I like the proposal and feeling knowing I could bump into lads who have not been to central park for years either due to work or family life or simply fed up of watching us. They go because they want a little day out with old friends. Life is short and meeting old buddy's is something not to be missed. Through effort and planning it could potentially work. Any thoughts?.

The likes of Dunbar and Musselburgh have similar populations to us so not that much of surprise that both get a reasonable crowd.

I think 200 or so will be our average in this league with not much clubs brining fans.

A reunion day might create a bit interest as you say.

2 hours ago, NELLY 1 said:

It's sad that our crowd was 200 at weekend and our crowds are below teams in lower levels like Dunbar and musselburgh amongst many many others.

I actually came up with a potential idea of having a REUNION day game later in season. The idea being that for one game highlighted in the not to distant future we promote a game where we invite all past fans and ex players and family of current fans etc etc to the game with a reduced rate and through word of mouth or social media or simply texting your old cowden friends to say look cowden are having a reunion day where we can all meet again on the terrace and have that nostalgia feeling and meet old faces.

I would look to get 2 or 3 local pubs involved where I would say if they can put on an old game in their boozer for example one pub play cowden vs brechin and one pub put on cowden vs dunfermline pre game and get people into the pub b4 game also. Reduced entry for the game also.

I like the proposal and feeling knowing I could bump into lads who have not been to central park for years either due to work or family life or simply fed up of watching us. They go because they want a little day out with old friends. Life is short and meeting old buddy's is something not to be missed. Through effort and planning it could potentially work. Any thoughts?.

I'll offer a counter-viewpoint, as much to play the Devil's Advocate as anything else.

As a one-off a "Reunion" might be enjoyable but I don't see much benefit to the club.   Bulk of the spend going to pubs, not the football club.   

Doing it "in house" setting up a marquee in the stock-car car park, with the club profiting from barbecue, bottle bar etc, would bring in more money and focus the event on the club itself.  But I'm not sure if the numbers turning up would justify it and it would need to be after the stock car season ends so weather / light problematical.

Cowden need to attract new supporters.   Just look at the amount of new housing that has been built in recent years all over West Fife.  There's a lot of new people to get involved in watching football.  Unfortunately for Cowden they have a choice of clubs to follow - Dunfermline, Kelty and Cowdenbeath, as well as Crossgates, the Haws etc.  

What can the club do to make Cowden an attractive option for potential new fans to support?   It's difficult with an outdated ground. and the club cannot do anything about that.  But there are things that could be improved.    It's disappointing when individuals are tolerated shouting foul-mouthed abuse both in the stand and from the dugout.  Stewards / club officials seemingly doing nothing about it.  Doesn't bother me but it might well bother parents of young children.    Over-priced poor-quality catering doesn't help either.    Sort things like that out and then get down to Crossgates or up to Kelty and see what their Ultras bring to the game.  How often do you get groups of youngsters turning up at Central Park?

The composition of the support at a club is always evolving.  Some people stop going, some people start going.  Those who stop seldom come back.  Cowden's problem is not that people drift away - that happens for a variety of reasons at every club.    Cowden's problem is that very few newcomers come in to replace them.

Better to focus efforts on the next generation rather than re-living old glories?  What's better - 100 (?) people on the gate for 1 game, or 15 brand new season ticket holders?

26 minutes ago, perthmo said:

I'll offer a counter-viewpoint, as much to play the Devil's Advocate as anything else.

As a one-off a "Reunion" might be enjoyable but I don't see much benefit to the club.   Bulk of the spend going to pubs, not the football club.   

Doing it "in house" setting up a marquee in the stock-car car park, with the club profiting from barbecue, bottle bar etc, would bring in more money and focus the event on the club itself.  But I'm not sure if the numbers turning up would justify it and it would need to be after the stock car season ends so weather / light problematical.

Cowden need to attract new supporters.   Just look at the amount of new housing that has been built in recent years all over West Fife.  There's a lot of new people to get involved in watching football.  Unfortunately for Cowden they have a choice of clubs to follow - Dunfermline, Kelty and Cowdenbeath, as well as Crossgates, the Haws etc.  

What can the club do to make Cowden an attractive option for potential new fans to support?   It's difficult with an outdated ground. and the club cannot do anything about that.  But there are things that could be improved.    It's disappointing when individuals are tolerated shouting foul-mouthed abuse both in the stand and from the dugout.  Stewards / club officials seemingly doing nothing about it.  Doesn't bother me but it might well bother parents of young children.    Over-priced poor-quality catering doesn't help either.    Sort things like that out and then get down to Crossgates or up to Kelty and see what their Ultras bring to the game.  How often do you get groups of youngsters turning up at Central Park?

The composition of the support at a club is always evolving.  Some people stop going, some people start going.  Those who stop seldom come back.  Cowden's problem is not that people drift away - that happens for a variety of reasons at every club.    Cowden's problem is that very few newcomers come in to replace them.

Better to focus efforts on the next generation rather than re-living old glories?  What's better - 100 (?) people on the gate for 1 game, or 15 brand new season ticket holders?

Good valid points. I think my view for this game was to re engage our previous core support or people who may have drifted away. This way to get them back and see friends may entice them back.

Your point about youngsters. I think the cowden matchday experience created last season was hugely successful with every game from November having a minimum of 15 young kids and at one game 30 kids. We need to build on that though and as you say keep young ones coming through. Kids can come free this season.

New supporters as you say is key also and with difficultly due to facilities its a tough one but the club will continue to try and happy to take ideas on board. If people are willing to drive it and own it ahould they come up with a good idea. No idea is wrong if it's trying to benefit the club.

5 hours ago, NELLY 1 said:

Good valid points. I think my view for this game was to re engage our previous core support or people who may have drifted away. This way to get them back and see friends may entice them back.

Your point about youngsters. I think the cowden matchday experience created last season was hugely successful with every game from November having a minimum of 15 young kids and at one game 30 kids. We need to build on that though and as you say keep young ones coming through. Kids can come free this season.

New supporters as you say is key also and with difficultly due to facilities its a tough one but the club will continue to try and happy to take ideas on board. If people are willing to drive it and own it ahould they come up with a good idea. No idea is wrong if it's trying to benefit the club.

You both have good points and it’s good we are starting to be active in getting bums on seats.

A middle ground re Perth Mo’s idea re keeping it in house, can’t we not do more in trying to push the use of the Andy Matthew Lounge both pre and post match.

We just seem to say it’s open at 1.30 and that’s it, very few are enticed by the offer as I’m at the turnstiles from then to kick off and you barely see much folk in the first hour.

I think we should be pushing it a bit more, can’t we get some pies or whatever and have a pie and a bottle deal etc seen that at many other places.

You have good contacts with former players can’t we get one or two coming along to games and having a chat whatever with fans, could entice a few more.

Not everyone wants a drink before the football but if the lounge was more interesting to go to some may take up the offer.

49 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

You both have good points and it’s good we are starting to be active in getting bums on seats.

A middle ground re Perth Mo’s idea re keeping it in house, can’t we not do more in trying to push the use of the Andy Matthew Lounge both pre and post match.

We just seem to say it’s open at 1.30 and that’s it, very few are enticed by the offer as I’m at the turnstiles from then to kick off and you barely see much folk in the first hour.

I think we should be pushing it a bit more, can’t we get some pies or whatever and have a pie and a bottle deal etc seen that at many other places.

You have good contacts with former players can’t we get one or two coming along to games and having a chat whatever with fans, could entice a few more.

Not everyone wants a drink before the football but if the lounge was more interesting to go to some may take up the offer.

Maybe Beath Brewers can offer something as well. Iain always keen to get involved and talked about things at last supporters meeting.

1 hour ago, cowdenbeath said:

Yeah, the lounge could maybe be used to drive some additional income.

I went in for a drink Saturday and was pleasantly surprised that there were a couple of groups enjoying the hospitality, maybe 15-20 people. 

Not sure if that’s typical for a Saturday game, if so, it leaves some room for other fans but not a huge amount of space.

£3 for a bottle of Peroni was more than reasonable (used to Edinburgh prices 😞), and there were quite a few people buying drinks.

Some sort of deal that is priced lower than the regular hospitality, but without taking the risk of taking business away from the existing hospitality  income stream might work.  Say, £20 for entrance, a couple of bottles and a programme (wasn’t impressed with the £3 pie on Saturday from the hut, that’s why I said programme 😁)

If there are games when there are not much in the way of hospitality bookings, you could advertise it in advance, as you know there would be more space to spread out in the lounge. And I agree,  if you could entice a former player along before the game in the lounge now and again, and advertise it, might get some people along.

50 minutes ago, silkybeath said:

Maybe Beath Brewers can offer something as well. Iain always keen to get involved and talked about things at last supporters meeting.

That would be a good option something different, was just thinking of ways to entice people to use the lounge. You have got the shop well on the go it would be good if the lounge could take off as well.

21 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

I went in for a drink Saturday and was pleasantly surprised that there were a couple of groups enjoying the hospitality, maybe 15-20 people. 

Not sure if that’s typical for a Saturday game, if so, it leaves some room for other fans but not a huge amount of space.

£3 for a bottle of Peroni was more than reasonable (used to Edinburgh prices 😞), and there were quite a few people buying drinks.

Some sort of deal that is priced lower than the regular hospitality, but without taking the risk of taking business away from the existing hospitality  income stream might work.  Say, £20 for entrance, a couple of bottles and a programme (wasn’t impressed with the £3 pie on Saturday from the hut, that’s why I said programme 😁)

If there are games when there are not much in the way of hospitality bookings, you could advertise it in advance, as you know there would be more space to spread out in the lounge. And I agree,  if you could entice a former player along before the game in the lounge now and again, and advertise it, might get some people along.

There hasn't been hospitality at all the games my idea was for days it wasn't on although as you say if there was room you could have both.

Pies were the first thing I thought off other food options could be thought off. I remember one time I was at Workington and they had a pie, chips and mushy peas as well as a drink deal, bloody good it was.

12 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

There hasn't been hospitality at all the games my idea was for days it wasn't on although as you say if there was room you could have both.

Pies were the first thing I thought off other food options could be thought off. I remember one time I was at Workington and they had a pie, chips and mushy peas as well as a drink deal, bloody good it was.

Mmmmmm, mushy peas…

Salivating Homer Simpson GIF

1 hour ago, Cowdenleith said:

The pies from the hut aren’t the best. The ones we got at half time as part of hospitality were unbelievable mince and gravy pie couldn’t believe it. They would sell easily if we put them on for sale. As for the lounge for me If it had live sports football early kick off or maybe the horse racing it would bring possibly a few punters in to get into the ground settled with a beverage and watch the sports. Of course all comes down to cost, no idea how dear the mince and gravy pies are and then obviously the cost of sky/bt sport. Horses are normally council tele would imagine the teles have a satellite connection.

2 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

The Club 135 for this season I thought was incredibly good value in addition to season ticket purchase.

£135 and you get a programme, pie/hot drink in the lounge at half time and free admission for all home cup games plus a £25 drink's voucher.

This could grow and develop further probably If there was more interest. 

It needs something that is continually sustainable as you need someone to run the bar etc

The more people that use the bar even if it's just one prior to the game and one after the better matchday experience for fans.

It would be good to see more fans using the bar prior to kickoff and especially at full time where some players come up and can then engage with fans creating that important positive link with fans and players.

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath0-3 said:

The pies from the hut aren’t the best. The ones we got at half time as part of hospitality were unbelievable mince and gravy pie couldn’t believe it. They would sell easily if we put them on for sale. As for the lounge for me If it had live sports football early kick off or maybe the horse racing it would bring possibly a few punters in to get into the ground settled with a beverage and watch the sports. Of course all comes down to cost, no idea how dear the mince and gravy pies are and then obviously the cost of sky/bt sport. Horses are normally council tele would imagine the teles have a satellite connection.

Yeah, noticed there were a couple of tv’s that could have been used, but you’ve probably hit the nail on the head that satellite costs would be way too expensive.

Those pies sound good just thinking about them, wonder if the football club run the food hut or if it’s the stadium owners (guessing the owners)?  

1 hour ago, Cowden316 said:

The Club 135 for this season I thought was incredibly good value in addition to season ticket purchase.

£135 and you get a programme, pie/hot drink in the lounge at half time and free admission for all home cup games plus a £25 drink's voucher.

This could grow and develop further probably If there was more interest. 

It needs something that is continually sustainable as you need someone to run the bar etc

The more people that use the bar even if it's just one prior to the game and one after the better matchday experience for fans.

It would be good to see more fans using the bar prior to kickoff and especially at full time where some players come up and can then engage with fans creating that important positive link with fans and players.

That’s a great deal, I remember reading about that option for season ticket holders.

Is the lounge open as a pay bar to anyone after the game or just for hospitality/Club 135 folk?  If it’s open to anyone could be another thing to publicise, especially if a few players pop in for a chat.

Normally we drive over so a couple of drinks not an option, but if there was something organised every so often might get the train over like did on Saturday and stay for a drink (£8 return from Edinburgh, bargain).

Edited by Cowdenleith

44 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Those pies sound good just thinking about them, wonder if the football club run the food hut or if it’s the stadium owners (guessing the owners)?  

It's an outside caterer that runs the pie hut.

I'm sure when I walked past, they were charging £4/£4.50 for a hot dog which is silly money. Must be some mark up on them.

I've noticed at other grounds this season, they are selling cans and bottles rather than decanting into cups - more relaxed rules in the league I guess.

12 minutes ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

It's an outside caterer that runs the pie hut.

I'm sure when I walked past, they were charging £4/£4.50 for a hot dog which is silly money. Must be some mark up on them.

I've noticed at other grounds this season, they are selling cans and bottles rather than decanting into cups - more relaxed rules in the league I guess.

Yes, noticed the hot dog price was £4.50.

The pie I got was £3 and I like to think I’m not too greedy a boy but it was pretty flimsy and felt like it was gone in about 4 bites. 

A couple of the older boys standing along the end of the terracing brought some rather nice looking stovies in from Stephens bakers, they looked damn good, especially compared to my underwhelming pie. 🤔

5 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Yes, noticed the hot dog price was £4.50.

The pie I got was £3 and I like to think I’m not too greedy a boy but it was pretty flimsy and felt like it was gone in about 4 bites. 

A couple of the older boys standing along the end of the terracing brought some rather nice looking stovies in from Stephens bakers, they looked damn good, especially compared to my underwhelming pie. 🤔

The likes of home made soup, stovies etc are super cheap to make and could be sold on cheaply while still making a decent profit but it would require a committed volunteer to take on the catering on behalf of the club.

Without that, you have outsider caterer charging what they want and I assume the club getting a percentage of sales or a set fee for the pitch. No hassle for the club, potentially less income but also no waste to deal with for example.