There was a coo

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

And the turnstiles were built and paid for by Spartans' tenants at the time.. Who were some obscure franchise who should have taken the block with them when they moved to their new subutteo stadium 

Suppose they needed them more than Spartans at the time Tam.

12 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Ainslie park is little more than a back pitch at a leisure center with a stand a some turnstiles,  

You'd better not go to New Dundas Park in that case.    At L1/L2 level, that's all that is required.

6 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

You'd better not go to New Dundas Park in that case.    At L1/L2 level, that's all that is required.

There's a big difference between what facilities are required to play at a certain level and what is desired in a real football ground.

Just now, virginton said:

There's a big difference between what facilities are required to play at a certain level and what is desired in a real football ground.

What's a "real" football ground for L1/L2 ?

13 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Ainslie Park is a good set up for the LL maybe not so good for the SPFL as Edinburgh City weren’t allowed to use the grass banking.

A small problem which could be overcome if Spartans got promoted.

It’s certainly more than a back pitch at a leisure centre, it has 2 pitches for a start😀

Seriously it’s the model to base a ground on.

I would do the stand different and have some terrace but would have a similar type pavilion and if possible the extra pitch for community stuff.

1 minute ago, cowdenbeath said:

Ainslie Park is a good set up for the LL maybe not so good for the SPFL as Edinburgh City weren’t allowed to use the grass banking.

It’s certainly more than a back pitch at a leisure centre, it has 2 pitches for a start😀

I would do the stand different and have some terrace but would have a similar type pavilion and if possible the extra pitch for community stuff.

With a few tweaks, Ainslie Park is a good template for smaller league clubs (and I suppose Cove Rangers and Kelty Hearts).

I think Bonnyrigg put some concrete terracing down on their grass bank behind the goal, not sure what they have done for the long grass bank down the opposite side behind the dugouts. I'm sure the regulations would allow spectators to stand at the barriers around Ainslie Park (ie 1 person deep), but regulations change all the time.

I note Bonnyrigg had 1,100 on Saturday and they've had well over 2,000 in the last few seasons in Scottish Cup games (and v Hibs in the League Cup), so even basic grounds can accommodate bigger crowds when needed.  What I would say though is that if you're a league club, you should have a seated stand, New Dundas Park lacks this.  

4 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

The extra pitch brings in much needed extra income as its used every night and most days. Ideal model for LL and Spfl clubs in the lower end of things.they also get rent for thier conference room.

7 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

With a few tweaks, Ainslie Park is a good template for smaller league clubs (and I suppose Cove Rangers and Kelty Hearts).

I think Bonnyrigg put some concrete terracing down on their grass bank behind the goal, not sure what they have done for the long grass bank down the opposite side behind the dugouts. I'm sure the regulations would allow spectators to stand at the barriers around Ainslie Park (ie 1 person deep), but regulations change all the time.

I note Bonnyrigg had 1,100 on Saturday and they've had well over 2,000 in the last few seasons in Scottish Cup games (and v Hibs in the League Cup), so even basic grounds can accommodate bigger crowds when needed.  What I would say though is that if you're a league club, you should have a seated stand, New Dundas Park lacks this.  

From what I have seen and heard Bonnyrigg have stepped behind both goals and covered the terrace next to the old shed on the dressing room side.

They have also put new plastic seats on the benches they previously had so quite a lot in a few months.

Maybe a seated stand will eventually come on the banking side.

9 minutes ago, Lowland team said:

The extra pitch brings in much needed extra income as its used every night and most days. Ideal model for LL and Spfl clubs in the lower end of things.they also get rent for thier conference room.

That’s why I mentioned the extra pitch and pavilion which has excellent facilities.

33 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

What's a "real" football ground for L1/L2 ?

Has at least three sides, with mixed terracing/seated options (partially covered), and isn't in a glorified leisure centre about a mile away from adjacent facilities like the pub. 

The archetype of that real football ground being Station Park, Forfar rather than a bus shelter like Dumbarton's ground.  

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

Has at least three sides, with mixed terracing/seated options (partially covered), and isn't in a glorified leisure centre about a mile away from adjacent facilities like the pub. 

The archetype of that real football ground being Station Park, Forfar rather than a bus shelter like Dumbarton's ground.  

Those days have long since past, and the reality is that you don't need too many seats or swathes of empty terracing to accommodate three figure (or low four figure) crowds.  Not sure distance to pubs is a licence requirement, although Bonnyrigg is very close to some.

1 hour ago, cowdenbeath said:

We were discussing this in the pub the other night as I'd noticed the grass terracing being used at New Dundas. 

I think it was a certain Albion Rovers director who was on the League Management committee at the time was a stickler for rules against grass banking. He's off it now and things seem to be a bit more relaxed. 

As for the Ainslie Park turnstiles a couple of them could be 109 years old as they came from Tynecastle's old main stand which was built in 1913. City paid for and built the block and Spartans painted it blue and stuck their badge on it, the rascals. 

1 hour ago, Burnieman said:

Those days have long since past, and the reality is that you don't need too many seats or swathes of empty terracing to accommodate three figure (or low four figure) crowds. 

Forfar and Station Park aren't a relic of the past: they've put a fair amount on investment into improving and maintaining their facilities too. 

Not sure distance to pubs is a licence requirement, although Bonnyrigg is very close to some.

It should be though, as should walking distance to a train station. 

If that punts entities like Livingston and Cove down to the bottom rung of the pyramid then I'm sure we'd cope with the loss. 

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

We were discussing this in the pub the other night as I'd noticed the grass terracing being used at New Dundas. 

I think it was a certain Albion Rovers director who was on the League Management committee at the time was a stickler for rules against grass banking. He's off it now and things seem to be a bit more relaxed. 

As for the Ainslie Park turnstiles a couple of them could be 109 years old as they came from Tynecastle's old main stand which was built in 1913. City paid for and built the block and Spartans painted it blue and stuck their badge on it, the rascals. 

Christ the turnstiles are the same age as you😀

33 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

After the ground debate time to get back on topic and our Lowland League adventure.

See in the Courier today the manager is talking about bringing in some new faces not being happy with the performances of some players.

Don’t blame him, would imagine trialist 10 will get signed, need a cb depending on how long martins is out for. Heard of a striker we’re interested in would take him in a heartbeat but can’t see it happening.

24 minutes ago, cowdenbeath0-3 said:

Don’t blame him, would imagine trialist 10 will get signed, need a cb depending on how long martins is out for. Heard of a striker we’re interested in would take him in a heartbeat but can’t see it happening.

I suppose signing so much players you get a very mixed bag so good some not so good.

Eventually you weed out the good from the bad and them hopefully add more good.