There was a coo

34 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Problem with the council is they have 4 SPFL sides, 1 LL side and multiple EOSL sides in their boundary.

They can’t help everyone. Kelty got their plastic pitch but that would have been deemed for community use and I imagine would have got outside funding as such.

If we had a suitable bit of land we owned we maybe would have got the same.

I would agree in the main the local population never got behind the club.

When I was young it was always the directors don’t want to go up line.

Perhaps the town is just a negative place with no local pride.

This year we never had a Gala after AH retired from organing it obviously no one wanted to step up and take over the task.

So it’s just no the FC they can’t be bothered with.

The gala is a very complicated situation. AH did a pile of work but this was alongside a very hard working committee. AH retiring was not the reason for no gala!

Unfortunately firstly Covid and then following this loads of restrictions and permits being required have resulted in increased difficulty to run. You would not believe the permits that are required to close high street, setup a stage etc etc.

There is also as you touched on a lack of volunteers and the small committee have worked tirelessly for years running galas, xmas events etc. There are plans for events and hopefully a gala again can happen but this needs people. The community like to complain on Facebook etc but despite asking for volunteers, nobody comes forward. 

Edited by silkybeath

13 minutes ago, silkybeath said:

The gala is a very complicated situation. AH did a pile of work but this was alongside a very hard working committee. AH retiring was not the reason for no gala!

Unfortunately firstly Covid and then following this loads of restrictions and permits being required have resulted in increased difficulty to run. You would not believe the permits that are required to close high street, setup a stage etc etc.

There is also as you touched on a lack of volunteers and the small committee have worked tirelessly for years running galas, xmas events etc. There are plans for events and hopefully a gala again can happen but this needs people. The community like to complain on Facebook etc but despite asking for volunteers, nobody comes forward. 

Seems like they have the same problems as the football club plenty complaining but not putting themselves forward to help things.

That was sort of my point in my initial post Cowden folk like a good moan but don’t do anything to make change.

Thanks for clearing up the gala situation.

2 hours ago, NELLY 1 said:

I may be wrong and happy to be clarified if so but I'm sure I was at a meeting where a committee was muted with Donald  findlay suggesting he would support this. As of yet people at that meeting have not put together a committee and although some parties have stepped forward as volunteers to help it's still shy in numbers.

Saying and doing are 2 completely different things.  We must do this and must do that is very easy to say. Putting it into action is another matter.. 

I take my hat off to any volunteer at this club whether they do 2 hours on a match day or some people who do 25 to 30 hours a week on top of their normal working life. That's commitment and should never ever be taken for granted.

Mon the cowden

P.s extra money helps too lol  so anyone with a big win recently u r defo welcome.....lol

Spot on Nelly. 

Thank you to those that are taking part in the junction bar supporters club last man standing. as said previously we will try to give the club as much as possible. We today have gave the club £200 for us to sponsor young cammy graham for the season. We also have a hospitality day booked with the club which hopefully we have 15 to 20 members at paying £30 a head. Lets all continue to support the club through this tough time. The wins will come soon looking forward to Saturday already!

14 minutes ago, cowdenbeath0-3 said:

Thank you to those that are taking part in the junction bar supporters club last man standing. as said previously we will try to give the club as much as possible. We today have gave the club £200 for us to sponsor young cammy graham for the season. We also have a hospitality day booked with the club which hopefully we have 15 to 20 members at paying £30 a head. Lets all continue to support the club through this tough time. The wins will come soon looking forward to Saturday already!

Anymore spaces available for last man standing?

6 hours ago, NELLY 1 said:

I may be wrong and happy to be clarified if so but I'm sure I was at a meeting where a committee was muted with Donald  findlay suggesting he would support this. As of yet people at that meeting have not put together a committee and although some parties have stepped forward as volunteers to help it's still shy in numbers.

Saying and doing are 2 completely different things.  We must do this and must do that is very easy to say. Putting it into action is another matter.. 

I take my hat off to any volunteer at this club whether they do 2 hours on a match day or some people who do 25 to 30 hours a week on top of their normal working life. That's commitment and should never ever be taken for granted.

Mon the cowden

P.s extra money helps too lol  so anyone with a big win recently u r defo welcome.....lol

Clubs like ours at Cowdenbeath volunteers are crucial.

Having done a good share of volunteering in the past I had to take a back seat but have tried to help in other ways . It takes exactly that as you say commitment.

Not easy though as people have other commitments and challenges outside of football and a club of our size makes it more difficult to get the volunteer numbers needed to assist the football club.

A committee would go a long way but needs someone with the time and commitment to drive and lead it. 

The club needs more of the doing rather than suggestions and expecting someone to do them which I suppose we take for granted or talk of the club should do this or do that or should have done this. All easy to say which even I have been guilty of having my own rants over the years but sometimes we might not have all the facts and details of the behind the scenes and need to appreciate everyone's efforts. 

It's not easy but sometimes a good old fashioned informal invitation perhaps at full time in the club bar to chat these things through and see what people can come up with and who can help with what. Could be something as simple of a rota with all the roles needing filled and on what date's but needs someone to oversee and own.

Difficulty with volunteering is it is exactly that and credit to people which do any volunteering whether an an hour of their time right through to those who put in a lot more. These people are crucial to the club 

Fair play to those who don't volunteer too for whatever reason ie they just want to be a football fan watch a game and go home that's still supporting the football club but it's clear the club needs more volunteers for support and probably some volunteers who have new ideas and try to take them forward. No such thing as a silly Idea however small or big  if it's objective is to help the football club then try through the correct channels via the club.

Everyone connected to the club are trying their best no doubt in all different ways where they are able but what's key just now is we build new foundations for the club whilst in the Lowland League to help it survive and to help take the club back to the SPFL. 

I like anyone am really disappointed in how our season has started but now is not the time to lose focus in my opinion and have to put thing's into perspective as someone put it Rome wasn't built in a day and this is a completely new squad, management structure with new challenges and circumstances.

Let's try and keep ourselves upbeat despite the negative results and remind ourselves why we love this crazy football club that feels like a family.

Let's keep supporting the club and help increase it's supporters, try to help further where we can and keep on building what initially attracted me to this club in 2012 a club where you feel you belong and can help play a part in it everyone to help preserve a club with a proud history in the heart of the community whilst meeting and helping new people and friends a long the way.

Come on the Cowden

Edited by Cowden316

14 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Only matter of time before an ex SPFL club ends up in the EoSFL

If by SPFL you mean the League that was founded in 1890 and it's various incarnations down the years then Scottish League members for a couple of seasons in the 1920s, Peebles Rovers, count 

But if not then they don't 

59 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

If by SPFL you mean the League that was founded in 1890 and it's various incarnations down the years then Scottish League members for a couple of seasons in the 1920s, Peebles Rovers, count 

But if not then they don't 

lol

Do you want to tell them or shall I?

There is no return.

Everyone is basically saying the same thing.

There just aren’t enough people in Cowden who give enough of a shit to go to the games. 
This lack of support in turn leaves numbers too low to get as many volunteers as ideally required. And of course not enough income to compete.

The town gets what it deserves then, F all. And for the few who give their heart and soul for free, they don’t get what they deserve. 

I remember just after the townies were dispatched 3-0, was saying with Deek Neilson there’s only 1 way from here, this is the pinnacle.

Was some pinnacle mind you, for arguably the smallest club in the leagues. 

It’s been really interesting and quite sad to read a lot of these posts the last 24 hours.

I didn’t realise that the local politicians were basically apathetic towards the club, probably the sort of people who would make a big song and dance of mock sadness if the club actually disappeared.

As a non-Fifer it looks like quite a few local businesses seem to advertise in the programme and support the club in some way, despite some comments to the contrary.

To me, probably the saddest comments are the ones that most local people don’t really give a shit. No doubt there are buses and car loads of people that head west every Saturday and even to Edinburgh and other places, but not enough can be arsed to support their local team.

Edited by Cowdenleith

It's not just Cowdenbeath that suffers from apathy though. Coatbridge is a big enough place but Albion Rovers just have a small band of dedicated fans.

Twenty five years ago I was a student in Stirling when the Binos were at their peak in what is now the Championship but unless you bought a copy of the Stirling Observer you wouldn't have known there was a team called Stirling Albion. Most Stirling residents seemed more interested in the arsecheeks. 

Even that wonderful experiment in franchising, Livingston FC, hasn't been an unqualified success (pity..)

As one who quite likes Central Park (the old stand actually shelters you from the rain and wind, unlike modern ones) it could be agreed that it is a disadvantage to attracting fans. Even if there was some way of having fences that were lowered for the football and raised for the stock cars that would improve the view for the fans it would be something 

31 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

It's not just Cowdenbeath that suffers from apathy though. Coatbridge is a big enough place but Albion Rovers just have a small band of dedicated fans.

Twenty five years ago I was a student in Stirling when the Binos were at their peak in what is now the Championship but unless you bought a copy of the Stirling Observer you wouldn't have known there was a team called Stirling Albion. Most Stirling residents seemed more interested in the arsecheeks. 

Even that wonderful experiment in franchising, Livingston FC, hasn't been an unqualified success (pity..)

As one who quite likes Central Park (the old stand actually shelters you from the rain and wind, unlike modern ones) it could be agreed that it is a disadvantage to attracting fans. Even if there was some way of having fences that were lowered for the football and raised for the stock cars that would improve the view for the fans it would be something 

The owners barely keep the toilets in working order, so electronic fences won’t be high on the priority list 

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Doesn't need that surely? A bolt that can be slid open to lower them and then secured to put it back up? 

Yes maybe. However there is not the will to do anything to help the football. In fact it’s the opposite.

Still in sunnier climes so keeping everything crossed for a good performance and better result today, regardless keep the heads up lads.

Be good to see another decent crowd today.

One consequence of relegation that I hadn’t thought about was no more updates on OneFootball app as they understandably cover the top 4 leagues only. I will anxiously check Cowden Twitter for updates 😬