There was a coo

5 hours ago, Only coo in the village said:

As long as Central Park hangs around the neck of Cowdenbeath, like the mill stone that it is, then short term survival is probably the most important immediate aim of the board. 
No team at our level can afford to pay increasing rent and afford the running costs of a now decrepit relic of the ground. 

This is the biggest issue for me. We start tens of thousands behind every team in the league with the costs we have. The owners are squeezing and squeezing. It’s my opinion they want rid and quickly. It wasn’t that long ago we started in front of every team when we charged the stock cars rent. It’s completely turned around. The problems on the pitch are obvious but it is caused solely by the bigger problems off it. 

34 minutes ago, onecowden said:

This is the biggest issue for me. We start tens of thousands behind every team in the league with the costs we have. The owners are squeezing and squeezing. It’s my opinion they want rid and quickly. It wasn’t that long ago we started in front of every team when we charged the stock cars rent. It’s completely turned around. The problems on the pitch are obvious but it is caused solely by the bigger problems off it. 

How much rent does it cost Cowdenbeath for the stadium? This was an issue for Airdrie until the new owners took over too, I believe we were paying 5k a game which adds up over the course of the season and the quality on the pitch suffered as a result. 

8 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

How much rent does it cost Cowdenbeath for the stadium? This was an issue for Airdrie until the new owners took over too, I believe we were paying 5k a game which adds up over the course of the season and the quality on the pitch suffered as a result. 

Not sure about the exact figures but I do believe Cowdenbeath FC also pay all the utility bills on top of rent. Also the upkeep of the ground. In today’s inflationary world it’s crippling. 

You have to be brutally honest and realise that we are where we should be, toiling at the bottom end of the table. We were never going to challenge at the top end of the table with the team we now have. Unless there are any significant changes, which is unlikely, then the best we can realistically hope for is finishing third or fourth bottom. If anyone thinks different, then they are in for a rude awakening. I hope we can improve going forward, but you have to be realistic.

We don’t have a playmaker and didn’t have one last season. Someone pulling the strings on the park who can make things happen. Every team has someone like that.
When Colin Cameron came to Cowden, what a difference.
I can’t see us winning a game if things stay the same.

4 minutes ago, onecowden said:

Not sure about the exact figures but I do believe Cowdenbeath FC also pay all the utility bills on top of rent. Also the upkeep of the ground. In today’s inflationary world it’s crippling. 

That is an absolute shocker, hopefully you can get things sorted and get back in the leagues. 

30 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

We don’t have a playmaker and didn’t have one last season. Someone pulling the strings on the park who can make things happen. Every team has someone like that.
When Colin Cameron came to Cowden, what a difference.
I can’t see us winning a game if things stay the same.

Aye you really need a midfield general and an experienced pro at the back to marshall things.

it’s really heart breaking seeming what we have become.

Just been killed financially really imagine this seasons budget would have been impacted by getting rid of a manager last season, imagine we would have been paying two at the same time.

Obviously things are bad if we are only signing what we could afford.

Imagine the directors had the choice of going for broke this season and probably going bust or trying to stabilise things financially.

Certainly a tough gig being on the board I wouldn’t fancy it.

The way football is going at this level you really need a sugar daddy just to challenge never mind win the league.

2 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Took game in last night and thought Cowden were well off the pace and physicality in the game , offered nothing up top which has to be alarming as even the uni teams can pull off results on their day , would be a tad worried at the moment 

There were 4 players missing so had to get 2 trialists to make a small bench of 3/4 , but you’re comment about the game is still fair.

Broomhill were easily superior in most areas and Gary Fraser must have enjoyed playing in that game.

There were 4 players missing so had to get 2 trialists to make a small bench of 3/4 , but you’re comment about the game is still fair.
Broomhill were easily superior in most areas and Gary Fraser must have enjoyed playing in that game.

Would the missing players have made a difference? Doubtful.
Yes it’s early days and the players are really trying but it’s difficult to be optimistic from what I’ve seen.

Im not willing to blame the players tho, very young and inexperienced at senior level, we do look lot easier to break down than i was expecting tho, maurice ross has the right intentions to lead the club and talks a very good game and speaks well but is he a better coach than he is a manager? he said the club is gonna be alright and seemed super confident we would stay up, now hes telling us we have no chance of competing near the top this season, so whats his priority's with the club, is he gonna follow through and try leave us in a better position before he leaves for another job? i still love the club, just worried bout the overall vision and intentions being executed. bringing on 5 players at the same time is not serious in professional terms, seems we are treating the competitive games like a pre season friendly, seeing other teams recruit well and have plans in place, while we are still working out what to do recruitment wise, isnt ideal

1 hour ago, SuperCowden said:

Im not willing to blame the players tho, very young and inexperienced at senior level, we do look lot easier to break down than i was expecting tho, maurice ross has the right intentions to lead the club and talks a very good game and speaks well but is he a better coach than he is a manager? he said the club is gonna be alright and seemed super confident we would stay up, now hes telling us we have no chance of competing near the top this season, so whats his priority's with the club, is he gonna follow through and try leave us in a better position before he leaves for another job? i still love the club, just worried bout the overall vision and intentions being executed. bringing on 5 players at the same time is not serious in professional terms, seems we are treating the competitive games like a pre season friendly, seeing other teams recruit well and have plans in place, while we are still working out what to do recruitment wise, isnt ideal

Re bringing on 5 players - think it was actually 4 - surely that made sense?  3-0 down with guys already having had 5 gruelling fixtures and with some carrying injuries.  The game is lost.  So you put on a lot of fresh legs and at least let some get a bit of rest - you also get to see what the trialists might offer 

12 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Re bringing on 5 players - think it was actually 4 - surely that made sense?  3-0 down with guys already having had 5 gruelling fixtures and with some carrying injuries.  The game is lost.  So you put on a lot of fresh legs and at least let some get a bit of rest - you also get to see what the trialists might offer 

4 at the same time then another 3 minutes later.

As you say as well as giving the 2 trialists a run out to see if they are any good.

I'm no accountant (thankfully) but when the clubs balance sheet says the liabilities are greater than the assets and rely on directors and supporters to sustain the club it's clear how bad it is.

Not sure how unique that situation is across the professional leagues or not but it's a grim thing to read.

There was a fairly stark article in the first programme of the season that mentioned the difficulties with Central Park, some of which surprised me, some didn’t, I meant to come back to it and post about it here, but never got round to it.

Surely the rent for Central Park should be on a fair basis, and there should be no outrageous hikes? If the stock cars try this can local councils and politicians not get involved to make them think again.  Pressure from local politicians can sometimes be more important than you think, especially when the entire future of a beloved institution is at risk.

And why on earth do the football club have to cover all the utilities? Surely in any sane world they would be shared as without electricity (for example), there ain’t no stock cars.  Again, should this be publicly voiced to bring some pressure on the stock car people?

I also don’t understand why they would want the football club out, unless they want to use the pitch for some car related stuff? I get that there is some inconvenience with the crossover period at the end of the football. Could Cowdenbeath not change to a 2pm start time to alleviate this?  Also, surely a fair rent paid by the football club is better than no rent, plus the stocks will be left with all the utility bills that they unfairly get out of at the moment?

As a fan of not that long standing I love Central Park and all it’s crumbling glory, wouldn’t change it for a thing, but I understand it’s a costly beast and a burden to a large extent.

What would long standing Cowden fans think of, for example, being tenants at another club, whether short or long term, Kelty being the obvious one? To me it would rip the heart and soul out the club but it would still be better than no club.

Is there any chance we could get a new stadium in the town/outskirts, I know this has been talked about a number of times over the years?

Personally I hate some of these soulless stadiums that have been built over the last 25 years, Stirling is awful, not a big fan of Falkirk compared to Brockville for example, East Fife. Give me the old stadiums any day of the week.

Sorry for the ramble. 😀

10 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

And why on earth do the football club have to cover all the utilities? Surely in any sane world they would be shared as without electricity (for example), there ain’t no stock cars.  Again, should this be publicly voiced to bring some pressure on the stock car people?

Saw this today in relation to Greenock Morton. A 325% hike in their utility bills. Even if Cowdenbeath weren't covering that directly, if the stadium is facing similar increases it would be passed on in the rent.

The Lowland League has been fairly flexibile on kick-off times. It'd be hard for them to argue against earlier kick-off times. Since they've let some of the guest teams make it up as the go along.

11 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

There was a fairly stark article in the first programme of the season that mentioned the difficulties with Central Park, some of which surprised me, some didn’t, I meant to come back to it and post about it here, but never got round to it.

Surely the rent for Central Park should be on a fair basis, and there should be no outrageous hikes? If the stock cars try this can local councils and politicians not get involved to make them think again.  Pressure from local politicians can sometimes be more important than you think, especially when the entire future of a beloved institution is at risk.

I also don’t understand why they would want the football club out, unless they want to use the pitch for some car related stuff? I get that there is some inconvenience with the crossover period at the end of the football. Could Cowdenbeath not change to a 2pm start time to alleviate this?  Also, surely a fair rent paid by the football club is better than no rent, plus the stocks will be left with all the utility bills that they unfairly get out of at the moment?

As a fan of not that long standing I love Central Park and all it’s crumbling glory, wouldn’t change it for a thing, but I understand it’s a costly beast and a burden to a large extent.

What would long standing Cowden fans think of, for example, being tenants at another club, whether short or long term, Kelty being the obvious one? To me it would rip the heart and soul out the club but it would still be better than no club.

Is there any chance we could get a new stadium in the town/outskirts, I know this has been talked about a number of times over the years?

Personally I hate some of these soulless stadiums that have been built over the last 25 years, Stirling is awful, not a big fan of Falkirk compared to Brockville for example, East Fife. Give me the old stadiums any day of the week.

Sorry for the ramble. 😀

I fear for the future. I think the current situation is unsustainable. If we had to share with another club it would save us short/mid term however it’s also not ideal. Personally I think we need some intervention by someone with bags of cash willing to throw it down a black hole. Wishful thinking I know.  We just need to keep going and see where it takes us. The board and the management team are working their socks off and deserve credit to put it lightly. 

1 minute ago, onecowden said:

We just need to keep going and see where it takes us. The board and the management team are working their socks off and deserve credit to put it lightly. 

Agree completely, while the results are hard to take, I for one am not going to get to lose the plot about the current state of the team, as the people who run the club are doing everything they can to keep it together.

The crowd on Tuesday was more than encouraging, I know there was comments about a lot of neutrals, but we could keep those crowds it would be great. Maybe the cheaper admission costs helps in encouraging people along.