There was a coo

I have been avoiding my Cowdenbeath supporting colleague today as I was at the game and I'm afraid he'll ask me what I thought of it. I knew there would be a dip in standard but I was shocked at how much.
If that is anywhere near Cowden's starting eleven for the season be very, very afraid. The first half was pretty poor all round but Lochore were definitely the better team in the second with the best chances and a good shout for a 2nd penalty. There was virtually no cohesion about the Cowdenbeath team and they badly need a few experienced players to provide a backbone and some guidance on the park to the youngsters.
The more the game went on the more convinced I became that there will be some big defeats - double figures, I reckon - from the better teams in the League. That's two draws against East of Scotland opposition, both playing their first friendly this season, and that is about their level at the moment.

This is so depressing and the season hasn’t even started.

5 hours ago, Dunfermline Jag said:

I have been avoiding my Cowdenbeath supporting colleague today as I was at the game and I'm afraid he'll ask me what I thought of it. I knew there would be a dip in standard but I was shocked at how much.

If that is anywhere near Cowden's starting eleven for the season be very, very afraid. The first half was pretty poor all round but Lochore were definitely the better team in the second with the best chances and a good shout for a 2nd penalty. There was virtually no cohesion about the Cowdenbeath team and they badly need a few experienced players to provide a backbone and some guidance on the park to the youngsters.

The more the game went on the more convinced I became that there will be some big defeats - double figures, I reckon - from the better teams in the League. That's two draws against East of Scotland opposition, both playing their first friendly this season, and that is about their level at the moment.

I’ve always said we need a few experienced guys to guide the youngsters.

14 minutes ago, SilkybeathJr said:

It’s usually false hope we have in pre season… winning games we really shouldn’t be. maybe this isn’t too bad, completely new team will need a few weeks to bounce off each other. let’s keep hope for now

Aye it’s hard starting from scratch, it was needed really.

Could do with a couple of experienced guys to guide the youngsters along in what is a hard league.

Too early to press the panic button. Still a long time to go in the transfer window and pre season means nothing except getting fit. 
If going by budgets then Cowden must surely have 1 of the bigger budgets in the league, so can’t have any complaints there. 
With the parachute payment, play off final gate and the league cup groups this season this is as good as it gets. 
Can’t compete this season then it ain’t going to get any easier. 
Pretty unlikely to get success signing an entire new team of youngsters so as Andy says definitely need a few who have played games in LL or above. 
Early days yet though. 

35 minutes ago, big al said:

Too early to press the panic button. Still a long time to go in the transfer window and pre season means nothing except getting fit. 
If going by budgets then Cowden must surely have 1 of the bigger budgets in the league, so can’t have any complaints there. 
With the parachute payment, play off final gate and the league cup groups this season this is as good as it gets. 
Pretty unlikely to get success signing an entire new team of youngsters so as Andy says definitely need a few who have played games in LL or above. 
Early days yet though. 

I’m afraid my panic button has been pressed. We’re not in any position to play Airdrie on Saturday. Nowhere near it. 

54 minutes ago, onecowden said:

I’m afraid my panic button has been pressed. We’re not in any position to play Airdrie on Saturday. Nowhere near it. 

To be fair, I don’t think it was ever in the plan realistically to be fully ready come the league cup groups. Never going to qualify anyway and an entire squad to sign is a big ordeal that takes time.

13 minutes ago, big al said:

To be fair, I don’t think it was ever in the plan realistically to be fully ready come the league cup groups. Never going to qualify anyway and an entire squad to sign is a big ordeal that takes time.

Bear in mind too that the League Cup is problematic for many part time clubs as it kicks off the season very quickly after a short close season and you can’t field any trialists only signed players.  

Realism and patience and support is what is required not always a trait that any average football fan has.

At any level of football a brand new squad means 1 thing. You need time unless you are throwing money at proven high quality players for the league you are about to play in.

Next few weeks will be tough. Club is trying hard to add 1 or 2 more and for the experience element again 1 or 2 players has been tried for with no luck due to varied reasons.

This is a good group of players and through time I believe a team that supporters can be proud of as well as have a connection with. It's a big thing and someThing in my opinion lacking for a while I know the manager and 3 players will be at the blue brazil gala/event on Saturday before our game to do a signing session etc etc. 

We have the matchday experience which has been hhugely popular and successful. 

I get fans just want to see their team winning football games however this club needed a rebuild and a new freshness. 

I believe 1 or 2 gks will be signed in time for tomorrow... otherwise its cowdenphil in goals...😂.

Keep supporting through this massive transition period.

Mon the cowden.

13 hours ago, big al said:

Early days yet though. 

Cowdenbeath’s budget will be larger than a number of their rivals in terms of income but it is also the same on the cost side.  For example they pay a rent to owners which they have flagged they wish to substantially increase, they pay over £20k for utilities (all the cost for stadium), they insure the stadium, they don’t have a plastic pitch so have to spend on groundsman and pitch plus cope with car damage, cleaner costs for the building, stadium repairs, etc.  Some clubs just rent a stadium for a few hundred quid on a matchday with next to none of those costs. Then you had big wage spend last year plus pay off managerial team and spend more on players in January.  Zoe who raised £15k a year is sadly no longer with us all this has a knock on to 2022/23. So it’s not all just roses re play off, league cup and parachute - plus most of that is gone in all likelihood next season if like Brechin, Berwick and The Shire you don’t just bounce back up

Edited by Cowden Cowboy

1 hour ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Cowdenbeath’s budget will be larger than a number of their rivals in terms of income but it is also the same on the cost side.  For example they pay a rent to owners which they have flagged they wish to substantially increase, they pay over £20k for utilities (all the cost for stadium), they insure the stadium, they don’t have a plastic pitch so have to spend on groundsman and pitch plus cope with car damage, cleaner costs for the building, stadium repairs, etc.  Some clubs just rent a stadium for a few hundred quid on a matchday with next to none of those costs. Then you had big wage spend last year plus pay off managerial team and spend more on players in January.  Zoe who raised £15k a year is sadly no longer with us all this has a knock on to 2022/23. So it’s not all just roses re play off, league cup and parachute - plus most of that is gone in all likelihood next season if like Brechin, Berwick and The Shire you don’t just bounce back up

Cost wise Central Park really is a millstone around our necks.

In an ideal world we would have something like Kelty have, a plastic pitch with a wee stand  and terracing around it.

Cost wise Central Park really is a millstone around our necks.
In an ideal world we would have something like Kelty have, a plastic pitch with a wee stand  and terracing around it.

And some experienced players. We won’t be getting out of the LL for quite some time.

On 07/07/2022 at 11:16, perthmo said:

Not good from a Cowdenbeath perspective.   Trialist goalkeeper and ten signed outfield players started.   A couple more young trialists came on in second half.  One subbed off again after 10 minutes.  May have been injured but didn't look it - he had played pretty decent.  Still no sign of Sinclair or Akhamaneze - presumably both injured.   A few promising looking lads for Cowdenbeath but also some haddies.

Cowden took lead in half an hour - Donaldson from close range.  Lochore equalised with penalty just after half time then hit bar with a free kick.  Robinson of Cowdenbeath booked.

Both teams had chances to win game. .    Lochore well worth a draw.  Couple of really good players in their side.  Cannot help wondering if that might be a better market for Cowdenbeath than SPFL youth cast offs.

Couple of decent young  players at Glenrothes as well , seen them rip Kelty to bits at times in our friendly , would do more than ok at LL level imo 

On 07/07/2022 at 11:16, perthmo said:

Not good from a Cowdenbeath perspective.   Trialist goalkeeper and ten signed outfield players started.   A couple more young trialists came on in second half.  One subbed off again after 10 minutes.  May have been injured but didn't look it - he had played pretty decent.  Still no sign of Sinclair or Akhamaneze - presumably both injured.   A few promising looking lads for Cowdenbeath but also some haddies.

Cowden took lead in half an hour - Donaldson from close range.  Lochore equalised with penalty just after half time then hit bar with a free kick.  Robinson of Cowdenbeath booked.

Both teams had chances to win game. .    Lochore well worth a draw.  Couple of really good players in their side.  Cannot help wondering if that might be a better market for Cowdenbeath than SPFL youth cast offs.

I've enjoyed a wind-up in here but that statement up on the Cowden site really seemed a bit of a mess. Alarm bells must be ringing, surely?

• Beginning with a plethora of excuses as to why you're on your arse, to reveal a 30% budget cut? That's f**k all when dropping down. Costs are rising, but you also have the luxury of parachute payments. Sustainability is the issue - the reality is in this league, you can be competitive with a budget that big. 

• Your chairman seems highly respected amongst fans, but an appeal to avoid playing the blame game for sitting in a position he's ultimately accountable for is all a bit Boris. The rest of it came across as claptrap

• Maurice Ross :lol: What an absolute sham of a guy. Whatever your Chairman says, at least he seems a decent guy and wants the best. I'll genuinely worry for Cowdenbeath FC for as long as Ross is around. Yous better hope his innovative new 'team coordinator' role pays off cause f**k me is he out of his depth himself. Already made his excuses for the cup games. What a w**k.

20 minutes ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

I've enjoyed a wind-up in here but that statement up on the Cowden site really seemed a bit of a mess. Alarm bells must be ringing, surely?

• Beginning with a plethora of excuses as to why you're on your arse, to reveal a 30% budget cut? That's f**k all when dropping down. Costs are rising, but you also have the luxury of parachute payments. Sustainability is the issue - the reality is in this league, you can be competitive with a budget that big. 

• Your chairman seems highly respected amongst fans, but an appeal to avoid playing the blame game for sitting in a position he's ultimately accountable for is all a bit Boris. The rest of it came across as claptrap

• Maurice Ross :lol: What an absolute sham of a guy. Whatever your Chairman says, at least he seems a decent guy and wants the best. I'll genuinely worry for Cowdenbeath FC for as long as Ross is around. Yous better hope his innovative new 'team coordinator' role pays off cause f**k me is he out of his depth himself. Already made his excuses for the cup games. What a w**k.

Away and take your face for a shite.

39 minutes ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

I’ve got some news for you, nobody’s been wound-up by you, everyone just thinks you’re a twat.