Bo'ness United 2022/23

Deanburn Dave

........flashbacks to the Newtongrange Star announcer reminding people not to swear or shout anything offensive, then reading out a very extensive list of products available at the pie hut.  Don't think he mentioned a single item that wasn't available in 99% of pie huts.   

2 hours ago, BonessBWAH_ said:

Well with the remaining games I don’t think it’s going to get much better

Spartans (H)

Celtic (H)

East Kilbride (H)

Gala Fairydean (A)

Linlithgow Cup Match (A) 

Gretna (H)

Tranent (A)

Caledonians Braves (H)

Hearts U21s (A)

And the away match to Podcast United whenever that is.

I think we’ll be lucky to come away with more than 7 points but footballs a funny game so you never know. However knowing us... we’ll end up beating Spartans, Tranent and then lose to Gretna. I really do fear for that cup match too...

I’ve now came to the fact that I wouldn’t trust Max to run a bath. Some of his tactical decisions have been bewildering; the Talbot lineup, the Shire lineup, the ‘experimenting’ with the team after the first 5 games of season when we top and some of the substituions in games; all this have cost us points and cup exits. Not exactly all on him as there’s been a few defensive howlers and we have a discipline problem.

The transfers have been wild too, yeah it probably is difficult to judge a player  off a couple of games in a completely different system, but we’re lucky if a new signing lasts more than 6 months now. Which has led to us basically having a U20s bench in really important games, I’m all for youth development but the average age on the bench yesterday was 19 in an important cup game that we were all looking forward too.                                                       Selling Dan had really confused me, loaning in a striker who can only play what 3 games for us is mental. And I was told Kelty had put in a bid for Jones which I don’t know the outcome off.

Once the league manages to flush out  Gretna, Edi Uni and the Shire ( ;) ) you have to really wonder where we are headed with Linlithgow, Darvel, Pollok, Sauchie or whoever coming to join as the league is going to get way tougher.

I think a gubbing over the flints in the cup could be it for him but at the end of the season I really think it’s best for us to split ways and get a new name in (Chris Geddes would be my pick if we could)and hopefully get the attendances up and start progressing in the League and the Scottish Cup. 

But we’ll wait and see

Plus away fixture at Dalbeattie 

5 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

I look forward to watching and supporting the BU's in every game they play.    Sometimes they get a result and sometimes they don't. Everyone sees a game differently.  Everyone rates individual players differently.  Everyone knows better than the manager.

That is Fitbaw.

So can everyone calm down, stop the petty bickering and we can hopefully enjoy some peace on here  for a bit.

You want to enjoy peace. Well I think this  Forum has went up a few notches today with some serious opinions being expressed, whether you agree with them or not is your concern. Surely this is what a football Forum is all about. I much prefer this to so called banter about pies etc.

2 minutes ago, Standalone said:

You want to enjoy peace. Well I think this  Forum has went up a few notches today with some serious opinions being expressed, whether you agree with them or not is your concern. Surely this is what a football Forum is all about. I much prefer this to so called banter about pies etc.

If you want me to give a serious opinion then I would say that Max was exactly what the club needed when he arrived after the thrashing we received at Tranent.    Alas he has made a number of mistakes in recruitment, player retention, team selection, coaching, discipline and man management in the last few years and this season too many results and performances haven't been good enough with the consequence that our attendances have plummeted.     

The committee appear to be standing behind Max ..............but for how much longer nobody knows.

10 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

If you want me to give a serious opinion then I would say that Max was exactly what the club needed when he arrived after the thrashing we received at Tranent.    Alas he has made a number of mistakes in recruitment, player retention, team selection, coaching, discipline and man management in the last few years and this season too many results and performances haven't been good enough with the consequence that our attendances have plummeted.     

The committee appear to be standing behind Max ..............but for how much longer nobody knows.

Think we need a new guy in a change of direction. It’s all got a bit stale. I think he was lucky to keep his job after last season 

Last season was one of the most difficult in memory on the playing side with supporters turning up at numerous games to find that we had a match day squad of only 11 or 12 players. Despite this, the teams we put out put in some superhuman performances and even managed to reach the League Cup final but fell just short against an East Kilbride team who had a cast of thousands to select from. Last season we finished 11th in the Lowland League.

Today, we find ourselves 11th in the Lowland League. Granted that the league is stronger with Tranent replacing Vale of Leithen (Hearts B seem to blow hot and cold) and there are still 10 games to go but going by the most obvious benchmark we have not improved this season. This is despite the club/committee backing the manager in the transfer market since he arrived only for him to sign some of the most average players I have seen pull on a Bo'ness jersey in recent times. I'm not talking Joe Prince-Wright or Barry Donald levels here but not far off in some cases.

If we finish this season trophyless and in the bottom half of the table again, Christie should do the decent thing and walk and take the decision out of the committee's hands.

21 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

That is much better and not petty bickering as you call it.

Here is my predicted line up for the visit of Spartans on Wednesday:-

4-2-3-1

Musa

McArthur, Ward, McCormack and Todd

Gemmell and Johnston

Alasson, Walker and Grant

Miller.

Hopefully the team shows some bouncebackability after the disappointment of Saturday.

Mon the BU's !!!

5 minutes ago, BonessBWAH_ said:

Would McCormack be available for tomorrow, or does his red card carry over to the league now? 

I’m really hoping it doesn’t as it he’d be a huge miss in a tough game if it does.

Jones was available for a league match after he was sent off in the previous round of that cup.

Red cards for Serious foul play or violent conduct in cup games is a 2 game ban.  That's the next game (irrespective of competition) and the next game in the cup you got the red card in.

Red cards for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity, offensive language/gestures and double yellows is a one game ban  for the next game in the cup you got the red card in.

So Jamie misses the first game next season in the South Challenge Cup.  

Assuming that Heeps  red was serious foul play so he misses the Spartans LL game and the above game.

17 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Red cards for Serious foul play or violent conduct in cup games is a 2 game ban.  That's the next game (irrespective of competition) and the next game in the cup you got the red card in.

Red cards for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity, offensive language/gestures and double yellows is a one game ban  for the next game in the cup you got the red card in.

So Jamie misses the first game next season in the South Challenge Cup.  

Assuming that Heeps  red was serious foul play so he misses the Spartans LL game and the above game.

Forgot it was a straight Red against Thorniewood..

Just to add some stats to the current debate based on the matches played so far ie 32

Season 21-22  W14 DL13

Season 22-23 W15 DL12

No evidence of improvement this season over last and we had a large loan contingent last season.