Bo'ness United 2022/23

Deanburn Dave

Is Macauley injured or just been unavailable for the last 3 matches?

Was listed as sub today and would surely have made more sense to give him and Ward a half each instead of starting Dev at left-back - although he was dependable as ever.

Thought it was a poor game today. Back 4 very flat and square, very little movement in midfield with laboured passing, big centre forward was the main threat but nobody getting close enough to work off him.  2 good goals in 2nd and 3rd but will need more to compete better in League. 
WTF, you're a hard man to please. The BU's are much improved from last season.

Is Macauley injured or just been unavailable for the last 3 matches?
Was listed as sub today and would surely have made more sense to give him and Ward a half each instead of starting Dev at left-back - although he was dependable as ever.
Keir McCauley is I believe just back from holiday so will take a few weeks to get match sharp. Be an interesting battle between him and Ward to make the number 3 jersey their own.

Still not convinced by Grant. He's the managers favourite, clearly, but disappears in games too often. I think we a short of options on the wide right.

What's our strongest 11 ? Well 9 places for me are settled.

Only 2 positions up for grabs.

3- left back ? Ward or McCauley
6- defensive midfield ? Hughes, Gemmell or Johnston

1 Musa
2 McCormack
4 Todd
5 Coll
7 Grant
8 Alasson
9 Watt
10 Hamilton
11 Stevenson

...............what no Nicky Locke I hear you mutter.......fear not Nicky fans I am sure he will force his way back into the team.

The BU's fully expected Tom Grant to pack in football and not return after several months of illness last year. Huge surprise when he turned up for preseason not only illness free but in good condition. Huge boost for Max and the BU's.

Tommo on the right wing works for me. Will he go wide, will he go inside, will he pass, will he dribble or will he shoot ?

With his workrate, great balance and skill Tommo can do it all.

3 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

The BU's fully expected Tom Grant to pack in football and not return after several months of illness last year. Huge surprise when he turned up for preseason not only illness free but in good condition. Huge boost for Max and the BU's.

Tommo on the right wing works for me. Will he go wide, will he go inside, will he pass, will he dribble or will he shoot ?

With his workrate, great balance and skill Tommo can do it all.

Max expected a lot from Galbraith but it never really happened., so here’s hoping that Tom Grant can fill that position with what looks like better players around him eg. Jones.

On 16/07/2022 at 17:31, Deanburn Dave said:

What's our strongest 11 ? Well 9 places for me are settled.

Only 2 positions up for grabs.

3- left back ? Ward or McCauley
6- defensive midfield ? Hughes, Gemmell or Johnston

1 Musa
2 McCormack
4 Todd
5 Coll
7 Grant
8 Alasson
9 Watt
10 Hamilton
11 Stevenson

...............what no Nicky Locke I hear you mutter.......fear not Nicky fans I am sure he will force his way back into the team.

If 6 isn’t Gemmell then it should be the boy who came on wearing 12 against Dunbar. Still dunno his name. 

15 minutes ago, Number seven said:

It’s really sad that keen Bo’ness fans are having to guess who the trialists are. No wonder the interest is dwindling in the club.

I agree partially with that . I understand that if in the process of signing someone they don’t want to name the person in case that alerts other clubs .

My problem is that with all the signings so far we knew weeks before through the local newspaper and social media before BU told us and that is not a good look to fans , especially when there’s only maybe 200 people remotely interested in who we sign .

Anyway , we seem to be in a better place than the start of last season , let’s see how we hold up against clubs in our league .

Was he also No 10 at Broxburn ?
I think it was. The No 10 at Broxburn was Stuart Love a 28 year old striker who was at Oakley after coming through the ranks at Stenhousemuir. He can play either 9 or 10. Looked like he fitted in well in midfield. OK at 9 when big Dan was subbed but by then the game was effectively over.

19 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:
2 hours ago, seenitall said:

I think it was. The No 10 at Broxburn was Stuart Love a 28 year old striker who was at Oakley after coming through the ranks at Stenhousemuir. He can play either 9 or 10. Looked like he fitted in well in midfield. OK at 9 when big Dan was subbed but by then the game was effectively over.

40 goals last year for Stuart Love , so he knows his way to goal .

Harder in the lowland league but he deserves a go .

If it was him against Dunbar then he looked good , a wee bit quieter against Broxburn .

5 hours ago, seenitall said:

I wasn’t at the Broxburn match but by the sounds of Dave’s post below I don’t think it’s the same player we’re talking about. The boy that came on wearing 12 v Dunbar seemed more of a number 6 or 8 box-to-box strong, busy type midfielder. When he came on I heard someone along from me say they wondered “If this is the boy that hasn’t played for a couple of years”. 

3 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:
5 hours ago, seenitall said:

35 minutes ago, MrIrvinePollock said:

Last season Bo'ness fans were cracking up because the team was poor....then it was because there wasn't enough subs.....now it's absolute scenes because the team aren't naming trialists well in advance of the local media!

We supporters are a fickle bunch and what you have highlighted sums up last season. Change of personnel, injuries bringing in loan deals etc, etc. 

Have watched two of the friendlies and from what I have seen Max has put together what looks a decent squad. As regards recent trialists there are alway people at the matches who know who they are - so no real secrets.

My main beef with the club is the failure to update the Website which will surely promote the club and maximise its use to generate income.

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Facebook and Twitter probably get a lot more traffic these days.

Whilst that might be but is all the info on the club available on there? Fixtures, New sponsors, new signings, player sponsorship etc.

The more exposure the club gets the better it is for all concerned.

Agree they should be doing it but suspect Facebook is viewed as the main priority nowadays because that's what people will tend to access from a phone or tablet as opposed to a desktop computer. Think you'll find all the info there about games, signings, kit sponsorships, the Treasure Chest etc on there. Maybe they could put a facebook and/or twitter feed on the website.