Bo'ness United 2022/23

Deanburn Dave

First of all I would like to Thank and wish Max all the best, yes he didn't fair too well over the last season or so but on a personal note I hope he is okay and puts this down to experience.

My own opinion is that a new broom is required and a rebuild is needed. There are still a fair amount of decent players in this squad and with guidance and a few additions could do ok.

11 hours ago, seenitall said:

For me it needs to be someone new not the previous managers assistant , this won’t wash with the support .

Well in hindsight, we started the season on fire with Ian Little in charge of the team. If foresight was possible for how the season would pan out, I’d reckon the majority of the support would’ve wanted Max gone back in August and Ian Little promoted to manager, so I think this will wash and the supporters will see this as the best appointment to see out this season. Also, are there any obvious stronger candidates that are available right now, or any that are likely to jump ship now if they’re currently in a manager role elsewhere? Doubtful.

As for someone new coming in now and deciding who they want to keep and move on - I don’t necessarily disagree with that. However, if Ian has a successful run of results until the end of the season then I see no reason he shouldn’t be considered. Also, Ian will know the current squad and how to get the best out them. Unfortunately I think losing the likes of big Dan might hinder Ian getting us playing exactly as we did at the start of the season.

10 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

Our support does suffer from a degree of over-expectation.  Maybe if we had the financial backing of some of those above us (good luck to them, not bitterness), we would be in a much healthier position.  

With regards financial backing, it makes it all the more curious whether  the other team really are little more than an ego trip for the pair behind them. If there really was any desire to benefit the town on a footballing front, why wouldn’t you just seek to invest and back an already established community club whose senior side are long established, in a higher, stronger league and had better prospects? Certainly in the short term anyway.  

That said, maybe they did approach United with a view to backing and getting involved but got knocked back by the committee? Highly doubtful that happened, but at the same time I really can’t fault their ambition, albeit I think “doing it for the town” was way down (if even part of) their agenda as opposed to seizing an opportunity given the ownership situation with Newtown Park.

Edited by 8MileBU

12 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Well in hindsight, we started the season on fire with Ian Little in charge of the team. If foresight was possible for how the season would pan out, I’d reckon the majority of the support would’ve wanted Max gone back in August and Ian Little promoted to manager, so I think this will wash and the supporters will see this as the best appointment to see out this season. Also, are there any obvious stronger candidates that are available right now, or any that are likely to jump ship now if they’re currently in a manager role elsewhere? Doubtful.

As for someone new coming in now and deciding who they want to keep and move on - I don’t necessarily disagree with that. However, if Ian has a successful run of results until the end of the season then I see no reason he shouldn’t be considered. Also, Ian will know the current squad and how to get the best out them. Unfortunately I think losing the likes of big Dan might hinder Ian getting us playing exactly as we did at the start of the season.

With regards financial backing, it makes it all the more curious whether  the other team really are little more than an ego trip for the pair behind them. If there really was any desire to benefit the town on a footballing front, why wouldn’t you just seek to invest and back an already established community club whose senior side are long established, in a higher, stronger league and had better prospects? Certainly in the short term anyway.  

That said, maybe they did approach United with a view to backing and getting involved but got knocked back by the committee? Highly doubtful that happened, but at the same time I really can’t fault their ambition, albeit I think “doing it for the town” was way down (if even part of) their agenda as opposed to seizing an opportunity given the ownership situation with Newtown Park.

The reality is Boness will go further down the pecking order as darvel, pollock, auchinlech come into the league with there financial clout

2 hours ago, Yodanumber1 said:

The reality is Boness will go further down the pecking order as darvel, pollock, auchinlech come into the league with there financial clout

I honestly would prefer watching the BU's in a competitive LL with those West teams + The 2 Roses and the cream of the East than being in SPFL2 and playing the likes of Albion Rovers 4 times a season.      The BU's future lies by competing in a competitive LL. 

17 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Our ambition should be not to get relegated from the Lowland League for the next 20 years.  Achieve that and I will be a Happy BUnny.

Aim should be go as far as we can there’s no glass ceiling now . I’m looking forward to champion league matches at Newton park 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

22 hours ago, Yodanumber1 said:

Darvel will plummet down the pecking order as soon as the Killie pie man loses interest. Bo'ness United are where they are now with no sugar daddy. Somebody asked on an earlier page what the BUs could offer a managerial candidate like Gary Jardine of Civil Service Strollers. The answer would be a club that could draw in relatively large crowds for this level of the game and potentially shoot for the SPFL if it could get its act together again.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Darvel will plummet down the pecking order as soon as the Killie pie man loses interest. Bo'ness United are where they are now with no sugar daddy. Somebody asked on an earlier page what the BUs could offer a managerial candidate like Brian Jardine of Civil Service Strollers. The answer would be a club that could draw in relatively large crowds for this level of the game and potentially shoot for the SPFL if it could get its act together again.

They might be better going for Gary Jardine 

That would be because I fixed it in the time between when you started typing in your post and when you hit submit reply. Is this supposed to matter in some way? Think people are too downbeat about Bo'ness United's future prospects at the moment. If Linlithgow Rose get promoted courtesy of Beith not being licensed and the next manager does only a marginally better job of building a squad than Max Christie did this season there could soon be an uptick in interest again and at least one low four digit home crowd per season.

Edited by LongTimeLurker