Bo'ness United 2022/23

Deanburn Dave

On 09/02/2023 at 17:30, boheesian said:

Not quick enough from back to front, too many short passes and by that time the front players were closed down.

Not street wise when complaining to the Ref we surround him with 1 - 2 players they did it last night with a group. 

We need a couple of players in the mould of a Philp, Shirra or a Sloan. Gemmell is a defensive midfielder who works his socks of but we need creative players along side him.

I just don't think that quality of player in the same mold is there anymore. 

11 hours ago, alan862 said:

I just don't think that quality of player in the same mold is there anymore. 

As Number seven says they are out there. A few the teams we have played have I just haven’t bothered to note their number and check their names.

11 hours ago, Number seven said:

Philp was/is a completely different type of player to Shirra and Sloan.He is a midfield ball carrier the other two liked to play in small triangles keeping possession .

I disagree that these type of players don’t now exist.Just need to know where to look.

Yes he was but he worked well with Pittman.

On twitter, the attendance for the midweek match against Spartans was quoted as 125. That must be the smallest home crowd at Newtown Park in many a year? Surely the committee must be worried about that? The loss of revenue alone must be a concern for attracting new players/sponsorship alike. 

Casey, I thought the crowd was nearer 170 which is still poor for a game v a team challenging for the title.

I reckon there are multiple reasons why fans not turning up.......

Some fans scunnered that Max is still in charge.

We are boring to watch. Pass,pass pass......lose the ball.

Cost of living crisis. £8 for watching an often underperforming team.

An ageing fan base sees older fans drift away.

Very few LL teams bring more than a dozen fans so the atmosphere is often poor.

The team is making zero progress and worse still hasn't learned from previous mistakes.

....................are the committee bothered ?   We can only hope they are.

It’ll come back. Our crowds were dwindling too until Herd and Millar took over and we got a good young team you can get behind and we started firstly playing good football then winning.

I think you might be seeing fans missing the “big junior” games as you got up to the LL so quickly. Only a matter of time until that returns and you aren’t in danger of going down.

Athletic banging the goals in (albeit in a pub league) are possibly shaving close to a hundred of your gate is a worry. Bo’ness isn’t big enough for two teams imo.

Some weren’t happy when the Rose distanced themselves when the Community Club went rogue a few years ago but you have to protect your Fanbase.

Looking forward to the derby for the first time in 3 years? I know we have a laugh but I want to see a good Rose and Bo’ness in the same league and going toe to toe. That’s what football at this level is all about!

Think Miller’s  presence at Newtown started the current chaos of continual player turn over.Him taking his pals with him to Linlithgow on masse mid season left the club  short of numbers just as they were trying to build a rhythm.

Not that the players that couldn’t wait to leave were very good though to be honest.

Just didn’t think it was great behaviour from those individuals.

What goes around comes around they say.

1 hour ago, Casey Jones said:

On twitter, the attendance for the midweek match against Spartans was quoted as 125. That must be the smallest home crowd at Newtown Park in many a year? Surely the committee must be worried about that? The loss of revenue alone must be a concern for attracting new players/sponsorship alike. 

I went through to the Spartans game and I thought there was a lot more than that in... was too cold to try and do a headcount, though. But must have been well over 100 in the cowshed and still quite a few dotted around behind goals and on the opposite side... possibly a few committee/officials made that look more... so not paying customers...