Bo'ness United 2022/23

Deanburn Dave

On 24/09/2022 at 19:11, Number seven said:

Badly needed win for the BU’s today after four league defeats in a row.

Jones is indeed nice to watch and a good find by the club.Left sided players of his quality are a rare commodity in the game and give teams a good balance.

A more central role for Jones yesterday but he was excellent in the middle. 

Onto something else - Not enough has been said about Hamilton’s through ball for our third goal. Absolutely outstanding pass. 

5 hours ago, John S said:

I've seen comments elsewhere with a few Shire fans believing the early sending off was a harsh decision. I know I'm obviously biased but I thought it was clear cut, the defender preventing a clear goal scoring opportunity.

It’s sheer stupidity really, no two ways about it. The Shire defender would’ve been far better off taking his chances on his goalkeeper making a save, or even maybe going a goal down but keeping 11 men on the pitch and more chance of getting back into the game.

0-0 at halftime.   Not many chances and frustrating for both teams as the referee is blowing the whistle far far too often.   

Gemmell, Todd and Hawkeye (all defensive players) the BU star players first half.

Hamilton, Alasson and Walker (offensive) not getting into the game.

The game is there to be won.

Final score:-  Fitbaw 0 Whistle 1.  

That's how it feels after watching the 0-0 game tonight.   The game never got going as the whistle happy referee broke the game up at every opportunity.  Frustrating for both teams.   The red card fir the strollers defender saw the visitors slowing down the game which you would expect.   The BU's had more chances to score and almost nicked it at the death but alas it was not to be.

Saturday we head South to invade England. (Berwick to be exact).

4-4-2 tonight.

Musa made one error tonight but generally is a good keeper.

Defensively the BU's back 4 look good.

Gemmell was as usual solid in Midfield. 

Hamilton and Alassan were OK in wee flashes but needed to do far more.

Walker looked good and troubled the opposition defence when driving forward.

Our problem is up front where Big Dan and Zander are not clicking as a front 2.    When Dan came off and Smith came on things didn't really  improve.   

Grant and Hughes didn't make any noticeable impact when they came on.

We really need to do more work on set pieces as we are hugely ineffective.  I have lost track this season of how many times the BU's have missed the goal with headers from 3 to 5 yards out. 

The players also need to shoot when they have the chance . Too many times there's an extra touch or an extra pass.  Ugly goals count the same as wonder goals.  

Max needs to get it sorted.

Not much of a match at Newtown tonight.

Far too frantic first half hour meant little quality and led to two worn out teams in second period.

United’s second half subs added nothing of note even with a man advantage and a good opportunity to follow up Saturday’s victory with another three points was passed up.

4-4-2 tonight.
Our problem is up front where Big Dan and Zander are not clicking as a front 2.    When Dan came off and Smith came on things didn't really  improve.   
We really need to do more work on set pieces as we are hugely ineffective.  I have lost track this season of how many times the BU's have missed the goal with headers from 3 to 5 yards out. 
The players also need to shoot when they have the chance . Too many times there's an extra touch or an extra pass.  Ugly goals count the same as wonder goals.  

Hard to disagree with Dave’s s summary of tonight’s game. Once they went down to ten men we didn’t change our structure and to be honest, didn’t look like scoring. Again after they took off their big striker we could have put Hawkins to centre half and pushed Jamie down the right where we didn’t carry any threat
We ended up playing with two strikers who have both been absent with bad injuries but neither has got back their pace or sharpness back to the required level yet and that’s costing us points.

9 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

4-4-2 tonight.

As you say at our set pieces players are not moving to get involved. At corner kicks  players are standing still virtually 2 yds from goal instead of running in. It’s all very well knocking the ball about and looking good but you don’t get 3pts for style only goals count.

No mention of the foul on Walker in the box which looked like a penalty.

Why did Dan get taken off .

Physical central defence and we bring on a wee guy . Don’t get it .

Zander in centre with Dan on right didn’t work so why not swap them , after all Zander was on right in second half .

To me , that’s why we haven’t got the 3 points .

10 hours ago, seenitall said:

Why did Dan get taken off .

Physical central defence and we bring on a wee guy . Don’t get it .

Zander in centre with Dan on right didn’t work so why not swap them , after all Zander was on right in second half .

To me , that’s why we haven’t got the 3 points .

Max should’ve taken Zander off for Stevenson in second half and went 4-3-3 with Stevenson and Walker wide with big Dan through the middle. Dan as the centre forward would’ve gave Balatoni a job to do and a tougher game because the Strollers centre half strolled it against Zander. It would’ve also gave a different dimension to our play and someone for Stevenson, Walker and Hamilton to play off and aim at in the box as we were far too narrow first half and reliant on Hawkeye and McCauley for any width.

There was very little between the sides last night though which is encouraging given CSS are up in 4th, but it’s also frustrating as we could have been up in 3rd or 4th if it wasn’t for that wee four game lapse of poor results. The main frustration is that last night was yet another game I think we could have won if there’d been a smarter change of tactics and better substitutions.

Edited by 8MileBU

I agree with the post 8Mile.      I think we play better and look more solid as a 4-2-3-1 as opposed to the (diamond) 4-1-2-1-2 we play to accommodate a front 2.       

But we are just fans watching the game.    Max is working with the players so maybe his focus is on getting the team and individual players at peak performance levels for the visit of the Banjo boys of Auchinleck.     

#InMaxWeTrust