Champions League Final Liverpool v Real Madrid

Lex

10 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Nah I don’t think so. It’s a different level of scrutiny for a referee and they are already getting it from all sides with basically no one in their corner. To sit in a studio as an ex referee saying a current referee has made a mistake after watching slow motion replays and numerous angles is poor from him. 

Behave 🤣

28 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Are you on an E? Defending Peter Walton, I have literally seen it all now. 

I'm not defending him. I just don't see how an ex-referee giving an opinion on the referees decisions is any different to ex-pros, managers etc giving an opinion.

7 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm not defending him. I just don't see how an ex-referee giving an opinion on the referees decisions is any different to ex-pros, managers etc giving an opinion.

I think it is different as he is there in the position of being an expert referee and they only go to him when they want him to discuss a specific refereeing decision.

Ex pros etc who are on are normally talking throughout the programme and giving lots of opinions on various bits of the game and their opinions aren’t considered to be expert ones when it comes to refereeing decisions. 

I think that might be why Walton just agrees with them quite a lot though, I wonder if he doesn’t want to undermine them by being too critical. 

18 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Screenshot_20220529-130250_Reddit.jpg.6847b10ce380012c6601a218a91776c0.jpg

It’s almost as if people attend games to watch a game of football and not a fucking Camila Cabello concert.

This “opening ceremony” guff ahead of the finals of European tournaments really needs binned by UEFA. It adds nothing, is appreciated by no one and flattens the atmosphere.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

It’s almost as if people attend games to watch a game of football and not a fucking Camila Cabello concert.

This “opening ceremony” guff ahead of the finals of European tournaments really needs binned by UEFA. It adds nothing, is appreciated by no one and flattens the atmosphere.

Aye, it's only a relatively recent thing, first opening cermony before a CL final that i can remember was the 2015 final. 

Obviously there's been the opening cermonies before Euros and World cups which make sense. 

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

I'd happily pay more than double any entrance fee to a football game to see Camilla Cabello strut her stuff.

She might not be a nice individual by fuck me she's absolutely stunning.

3 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I think it is different as he is there in the position of being an expert referee and they only go to him when they want him to discuss a specific refereeing decision.

Ex pros etc who are on are normally talking throughout the programme and giving lots of opinions on various bits of the game and their opinions aren’t considered to be expert ones when it comes to refereeing decisions. 

I think that might be why Walton just agrees with them quite a lot though, I wonder if he doesn’t want to undermine them by being too critical. 

Another difference is most refs do actually know the laws of the game despite what people think. Current and ex-players generally don't have a clue, have made up their own rules and continually spout those as if they are 100% correct. Sycophantic and/or clueless presenters rarely pick them up on it and idiots that listen to current and ex-players believe everything they say so their garbage becomes FACT. 

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The French sports minister has said there was an extra 30,000 people trying to access the Liverpool end without tickets which explains the chaos. 

Also...
The French minister said there were "no problems" regarding Real supporters and the Spanish side had controlled their travelling fans better than Liverpool.

I take it she'll soon be heading to a grossly offended and outraged Liverpool for a public flogging and official apology ceremony. Scousers love an apology. 

8 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

Also...
The French minister said there were "no problems" regarding Real supporters and the Spanish side had controlled their travelling fans better than Liverpool.

I take it she'll soon be heading to a grossly offended and outraged Liverpool for a public flogging and official apology ceremony. Scousers love an apology. 

Except when they have to make one themselves...

If only they'd got Graeme Souness, Ian Rush, Jan Molby and John Aldridge to issue carefully worded wee videos reminding fans of who they represented. Things could've worked out so differently 

The French minister's interview here seems quite reasonable, but I am having a hard time accepting 20 or 30,000 fans without tickets tried to enter the stadium.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61630201

The suggestion that there were no police outside afterwards as the Liverpool fans went back to the metro also seems a shambles.

Edited by O_Kahn

6 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

As well as pre-match entertainment being unwanted by most, if you have to do it, at least make the act relevant.

Its as if she was the only celebrity that had space in her schedule that weekend, or a uefa official took advice from his 12 year old daughter on who would be a cool act ‘these days’.

A Cuban American who sings songs for teenagers was hardly reading your audience Shirley?

The likes of the Italian World Cup having Pavarotti makes sense. Camilla didny.

4 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Except when they have to make one themselves...

To be fair they did say 'Oops, soz bout that' for being one of the major players in the slave trade and it helping build their city so, job done, no need to mention it again.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

As well as pre-match entertainment being unwanted by most, if you have to do it, at least make the act relevant.

Its as if she was the only celebrity that had space in her schedule that weekend, or a uefa official took advice from his 12 year old daughter on who would be a cool act ‘these days’.

A Cuban American who sings songs for teenagers was hardly reading your audience Shirley?

The likes of the Italian World Cup having Pavarotti makes sense. Camilla didny.

The Cuban part shouldn't be brushed off. She'll doubtless be massive in the Spanish speaking world so she'd go down well with that part of the global Real fan base that has no musical taste. Obviously UEFA thought Spanish > English so brought her in rather than reform Atomic Kitten for the night. That's probably what set the Scousers off. 

4 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

The Cuban part shouldn't be brushed off. She'll doubtless be massive in the Spanish speaking world so she'd go down well with that part of the global Real fan base that has no musical taste. Obviously UEFA thought Spanish > English so brought her in rather than reform Atomic Kitten for the night. That's probably what set the Scousers off. 

They should have got a Cilla Black avatar. similar to the Abba concert...

2 hours ago, Charles Stiles said:

The Cuban part shouldn't be brushed off. She'll doubtless be massive in the Spanish speaking world so she'd go down well with that part of the global Real fan base that has no musical taste.

She's mostly viewed as a typical gusano whose hispanicity serves only to exoticise her for the anglophone US audience. So I doubt she was chosen to appeal to Spanish speakers. Rather, it was just your standard US imposition with the Superbowl-inspired concept and the performer used for it. It was heartening to hear it booed.

Nelly furtado doing the opening of euro 2004 was "cool, makes sense i suppose" and Leicester having Andrea Bocelli when they won the league was actually kinda cool. Camilla Cabello made little to no sense. Was funny as rio etc awkwardly went "er yeah, it uh adds to the spectacle like the superbowl in america", got the impression they werent convinced. Gerrard was even more glib about it iirc.

At least it wasnt fucking Ed Sheeran.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

I remember Talks Shite Sport having a discussion on UEFA marketing the CL final to make it more of a spectacle like the Super Bowl.

The reaction was negative. Daft Yanks calling it soccer was a big reason, which makes Camilla Cabello being the bait to bring in American viewers slightly amusing. 

I get the impression that if it was someone like Cilla Black (RIP) then the Liverpool supporting media would have been all over it.