Champions League Final Liverpool v Real Madrid

Lex

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

He’s a complete odd-ball to boot.

Claims to “not like films” and would drive to Madrid airport every morning to pick up an English paper while he was playing for Real.

Oh, and this:

And this

5 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The funny part was when Liverpool got beat.

Was it funnier when 'Trent' inevitably got done at the back post for the goal, or when Keita was sending shots into orbit from 20 yards out though?

The hilarity has more delicious layers to it than a baklava.

26 minutes ago, virginton said:

Was it funnier when 'Trent' inevitably got done at the back post for the goal, or when Keita was sending shots into orbit from 20 yards out though?

The hilarity has more delicious layers to it than a baklava.

I'm not sure who had longer to do the basics of their job properly... Trent to notice and mark Vinicius, the guy who has influenced numerous high profile games already this season by coming in from the left side, or Keita to take 1, 2 or probably even 3 touches before picking his spot, with not a defender anywhere near him.

I'm also not sure of the funnier outcome.... Trent instead not even thinking to glance back even once, and leaving one of the most dangerous players on the park a tap in, or Keita shelling the ball out the park and into the pools of tears and snotters outside

Don't watch English fitba so maybe I'm out of touch.  

Thought the boy Salah was meant to be good.  Was like Cammy Salkeld being chucked into a Championship game.  

3 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The funny part was when Liverpool got beat.

Guy in my work from Kilmarnock is a ‘Liverpool’ supporter, and I can’t wait to see his coupon on Monday morning.

Apparently he had a season ticket at Anfield a few years back and there is a 52 seater supporters bus that leaves from Glasgow every second week, chalk full of Scottish season ticket holders. I say the exact same to Old Firm fans from places like Paisley or Motherwell, but if you need to get a supporters bus to a home game your doing it wrong. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Heard Klopp on the radio basically complaining about the style of Football Madrid played.

This from a manager whos team has played in 3 cup finals this season and not even scored a goal in 330 minutes  ffs

They really are a joke

Edited by BigDoddyKane

This is a good time to remember the punditry on BT from before Madrids QF tie with Chelsea. According to Michael Owen he couldn’t see how Madrids midfield would be able to cope with the pace of Chelsea’s counter attacks, and for the brief time that Chelsea were ahead in that tie you would have thought Real Madrid were a team of competition winners lucky to share the same pitch as Chelsea. They were using examples from a group game against Shakhtar to show how lazy the Real midfield were at tracking runners, and how guys like Havertz and Ziyech were going to have an absolute field day running at Madrids defence. 

That’s a midfield of Kroos, Modric and Casemiro they were talking about, supplemented by guys like Valverde and Camavinga. The sort of players that anyone with the slightest bit of footballing knowledge know are genuinely top level, and have proved it time and time again. Up against a Chelsea midfield of Mason Mount, Loftus-Cheek, Jorginho and Kovacic. I would like to think guys like Savage, Owen, Richards etc. would show a bit of humility after last nights game, but I don’t think it’s forthcoming, or ever will be. 

7 hours ago, Clown Job said:

“What more can you do than have 24 shots on goal?”

Score

I read that Courtois made 9 saves from 24 shots. Maybe the other 15 were blocked?

I only saw the highlights and assuming this was all Liverpool's chances and Courtois' saves, I would say that two were exceptional - Mane's onto the post and the upper arm save from Salah. Every other save (that I saw anyway) would be one you would expect a half decent goalkeeper to make and if they didn't, would be deemed a goalkeeping error. TalkSport said they would be building statues to Courtois in Madrid - yes you would expect hyperbole from thick pundits but this narrative seems to be giving the media here the comfort they most desperately need. 

7 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Very Italy v England vibes here (minus the penalty hilarity of course) with the winners beating actual good teams on the way and the losers getting the easiest path imaginable (including the worst German side in 20 years).

with the same chaos around entering the ground - though this time it was down to typical disorganisation from the French and UEFA. Last time it was solely UEFA I believe. 

Ancelotti got his tactics spot on last night. Liverpool's biggest weakness is the lack of an attacking threat from midfield, so Madrid's back line sat pretty deep to stop any space in behind for the front 3 and allowed Liverpool's midfield to progress into the attacking space knowing full well that Thiago wouldn't want to, that Fabinho might occasionally but wouldn't do very much, and that Henderson is pretty useless in that area. Same for when Keita came on.

The poster who mentioned about Liverpool struggling in big games is spot on, against weaker teams they overcome the above problem by just overwhelming teams with weight of numbers, but better teams can withstand this. I agree with the earlier point about Wijnaldum, he wasn't an especially great player or anything but he played a role in the team that hasn't been replaced. He was a genuine threat arriving from midfield which they don't really have now.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever