Champions League Final Liverpool v Real Madrid

Lex

41 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Nelly furtado doing the opening of euro 2004 was "cool, makes sense i suppose" and Leicester having Andrea Bocelli when they won the league was actually kinda cool. Camilla Cabello made little to no sense. Was funny as rio etc awkwardly went "er yeah, it uh adds to the spectacle like the superbowl in america", got the impression they werent convinced. Gerrard was even more glib about it iirc.

At least it wasnt fucking Ed Sheeran.

I did laugh at Gerrard saying "I know four of her songs now".

I thought he was a knob as a player and as the **** manager, but I don't think he's a good pundit.

No matter what they say, it looks like piss poor organisation. Not sure whether that’s down to UEFA or the people in France who were responsible for the game. Probably a bit of both. 

Liverpool fanzone at night left a bit to be desired too. 

Liverpool fans trying to enter just before kick-off told by police it was closed and had to stand and watch while police let locals in.  Quite a number of unhappy looking fans streaming out the same gates yet still not letting them in. 

Spoke to a couple who said it was not nearly as full as during the afternoon but not worth going in saying a good chance something might kick off as were a lot of locals in the area they were in chanting for PSG and Madrid.

This led to quite a number of fans rushing about trying to find somewhere to watch the game.

Added to that the police allowed the build up of hundreds of local youths to sit around the grassy area next to the entrance so it was no surprise there were a few skirmishes as unhappy Liverpool fans were taunted as they exited after the game. 

Spoke to a few guys in the airport in their 50s who said they all had tickets but we're settled and pepper sprayed trying to get in and pepper sprayed trying to leave for walking in the wrong way as there was no stewards there to tell them which direction they should be going.

Edited by Sugar_Army

If some wee moustachioed scouser has knocked up and shifted 40,000 tickets from his back room in the 3 weeks or so since the final teams were known, then that is some effort.  Whoever has done that should be made uk head of business development, phenomenal effort.

Personally, I'm calling bullshit on that number.

Uefa and the French authorities should have just been non-commital and said there will be an investigation rather than throw out wild statements as they could end up looking a bit silly. Especially when it's Liverpool fans, who will be quick to draw parallels to the authorities wrongly blaming them previously.

14 hours ago, CraigFairlie said:

Aye, it's only a relatively recent thing, first opening cermony before a CL final that i can remember was the 2015 final. 

Obviously there's been the opening cermonies before Euros and World cups which make sense. 

The Proclaimers played at the 2002 Champions League final at Hampden. I'm not sure it was exactly billed as an "opening ceremony", but it was basically the same thing.

I saw one of the Proclaimers in Edinburgh yesterday up Sciennes way. It definitely was one of them, not just a middle-aged man with specs. It lifted my spirits. God bless the Proclaimers.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/liverpool-chairman-demands-apology-french-ministers-comments-2022-05-31/
Liverpool Chairman Tom Werner has demanded an apology from the French sports minister after she said fans with fake tickets and the club's handling of their supporters were responsible for the trouble that marred Saturday's Champions League final.

Well, what a surprise. Apology demanded. Magnificent stuff Amelie. Great work. 😂

22 hours ago, BigDoddyKane said:

Maybe im just getting old but I couldnt be bothered going all the way to some city to watch a game in a fanzone. 

It's the mark of an absolute wrong 'un. Especially when you don't even support any of the clubs.

On 29/05/2022 at 17:32, kennie makevin said:

Wonder what it was that UEFA & the French police did so smoothly at the Real Madrid end of the stadium that they couldn't do at the Liverpool end ?

They didn’t compress the fans into a ridiculously small space - we got there just after 6:30 (2:30 before KO) - after the problems had started where the LFC main crowd were. As Liverpool fans, we were supposed to use the local railway to get there, while Madrid fans were to use the Metro. We were VERY lucky we took the non suggested route, we strolled into the concourse and were through the gates quickly, with no issues encountered and blissfully unaware of what was going on elsewhere. Only once kick off neared and we couldn’t understand why there were so few in the Liverpool end and then heard social media reports. While there probably were fake paper tickets, I doubt that caused the problems - it’s pretty clear from their setup that the police were spoiling for a confrontation with the English. Fortunately the LFC fans didn’t respond to their treatment.

17 hours ago, Ann Dan Otherthing said:

They didn’t compress the fans into a ridiculously small space - we got there just after 6:30 (2:30 before KO) - after the problems had started where the LFC main crowd were. As Liverpool fans, we were supposed to use the local railway to get there, while Madrid fans were to use the Metro. We were VERY lucky we took the non suggested route, we strolled into the concourse and were through the gates quickly, with no issues encountered and blissfully unaware of what was going on elsewhere. Only once kick off neared and we couldn’t understand why there were so few in the Liverpool end and then heard social media reports. While there probably were fake paper tickets, I doubt that caused the problems - it’s pretty clear from their setup that the police were spoiling for a confrontation with the English. Fortunately the LFC fans didn’t respond to their treatment.

Well put @Ann Dan Otherthing 👍

Most unfortunately we arrived slightly later and ended up stuck outside turnstile Z. 

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/liverpool-chairman-demands-apology-french-ministers-comments-2022-05-31/
Liverpool Chairman Tom Werner has demanded an apology from the French sports minister after she said fans with fake tickets and the club's handling of their supporters were responsible for the trouble that marred Saturday's Champions League final.
Well, what a surprise. Apology demanded. Magnificent stuff Amelie. Great work. [emoji23]

Some of the footage taken outside the ground, genuine, well behaved fans ‘held up and penned in’ prodded with batons and pepper sprayed in the face is just awful though. An apology is the least they should expect.
It appears the Police on duty panicked after so many ticketless ‘fans’ breached the security fences at both ends of the ground. It’s hardly an excuse though to then steam into the fans, patiently queuing outside in good time before kick off just as they were told to do.
Imagine spending hundreds of pounds on a ticket, travel and accommodation (feeling so excited that you were lucky enough to be going to the final to see your team), then to be treated like that and miss the game completely, which happened to hundreds of fans.
I think I’d still be spitting feathers now!

Its difficult to tell from that small clip to see whats going on other than 1 small fight which could be over anything , it deosnt look like mobs of 30 locals steaming into individual pool fans but it could be a sign it was happening and they could be trying to mug people.

Id guess videos will come out that will clearly show that if its the case, everything is filmed nowadays like that

6 hours ago, BigDoddyKane said:

Its difficult to tell from that small clip to see whats going on other than 1 small fight which could be over anything , it deosnt look like mobs of 30 locals steaming into individual pool fans but it could be a sign it was happening and they could be trying to mug people.

Id guess videos will come out that will clearly show that if its the case, everything is filmed nowadays like that

Until their phones got nicked!