Champions League Final Liverpool v Real Madrid

Lex

5 hours ago, Charles Stiles said:

You can still tell from the tone, volume and amount of commentary of these broadcasts that the UK coverage is deliberately turned up to 11 for the idiots. Even if you're stuck with English pundits for the likes of US, South Africa or Malaysia, some of the same guys that'd be frothing at the mouth if on a UK channel are quite acceptable. Even Sky Italy or Germany has one guy calmly describing things and doesn't witter away for 90 minutes. Definitely ditch the English and go Johnny foreigner folks. 

I’m almost certain BT choose their co-commentators and pundits as some sort of practical joke against their customers. If they had one complete idiot amongst an otherwise knowledgeable crowd, I would say it’s a mistake and get over it. To employ Michael Owen, Glenn Hoddle, Steve McManaman AND Robbie Savage, and use at least one of them for almost every game they televise, then the only conclusion I can come to is that they are doing it intentionally. There will be a well funded and highly paid team of producers and directors listening to the absolute nonsense these guys speak literally week after week, almost unanimously hated by the watching public, yet they have been in the job for years and don’t look like going anywhere soon. 

2 hours ago, Fratelli said:

That's the point though. Some may have been behaving like arseholes, but the shambles last night was not caused by Liverpool fans. It's now quite clear that UEFA have thrown out, and greatly exaggerated the ticket thing to deflect from their own mismanagement

I don’t think we know that’s true at all though. We don’t know how many fake tickets there were and it doesn't take lots to jam up the turnstiles when they don’t work,

The truth is that the videos only show that there were a lot of problems and actually Liverpool fans as well as the organisers were probably both at fault.

We know that there were fake tickets, Liverpool fans were online bragging about them before the game ffs. We’ve seen footage of them going over fences even if others were as well.

Both Liverpool fans and the organisers are at fault and should be taking responsibility for this - the media need to stop trying to absolve them of blame because the “It’s never our fault” narrative is making it worse for them and losing them sympathy from the the aspects where they should get it, that using tear gas in enclosed spaces is wrong and the fans who couldn’t get in with genuine tickets. 

3 hours ago, velo army said:

Can't agree that this was a bad game. I loved it, and I was surprised by that as I'm no fan of the CL. 

Modric, Carvajal and Courtois were the absolute stand outs for me. The link up and understanding between Benzema and Vinicius was a joy to watch at times. 

Modric's pass into Kroos that started the move that lead to the goal was beautiful. He's the player I want Gilmour to become.

So aye, I thought this was a cracking game. 

I agree with that yeah. I know theres the whole meme about Tactical Chess Battles on #barclays super sundays when the top 4 play out a snoozefest, but that was legit a decent game and a good watch. Liverpool carried enough of a threat to be getting shots off but Real also nearly broke and scored several times too. Some good individual performanes helped keep it interesting, a few to pick for madrid, Kounate was probably liverpools best player. Thiago wasted a fair few passes trying the big expansive ones but thats on Real setting up to make it hard to ping balls about. Thought van dijk was pretty quiet, defended competently but either wasnt instructed to/wasnt able to carry the ball into midfield, actually Kounate did more of it if anything.

Thought Mendy at left back played well too thinking back, caught out a bit by a ball over him for salahs right footed shot (probably courtouis best save of the match) but didnt really look out of place.

37 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I’m almost certain BT choose their co-commentators and pundits as some sort of practical joke against their customers. If they had one complete idiot amongst an otherwise knowledgeable crowd, I would say it’s a mistake and get over it. To employ Michael Owen, Glenn Hoddle, Steve McManaman AND Robbie Savage, and use at least one of them for almost every game they televise, then the only conclusion I can come to is that they are doing it intentionally. There will be a well funded and highly paid team of producers and directors listening to the absolute nonsense these guys speak literally week after week, almost unanimously hated by the watching public, yet they have been in the job for years and don’t look like going anywhere soon. 

Something I never thought I’d say but I genuinely miss Andy Townsend.

3 hours ago, Fratelli said:

That's the point though. Some may have been behaving like arseholes, but the shambles last night was not caused by Liverpool fans. It's now quite clear that UEFA have thrown out, and greatly exaggerated the ticket thing to deflect from their own mismanagement, and loads have swallowed it despite evidence suggesting otherwise. A lot of this automatic rush to assume that it's those scousers at it yet again due to some horrific things that happened 30+ years ago has a real Kelvin MacKenzie vibe to it. Not that you're necessarily doing that, but a lot of the rhetoric from last night has that feel to it. A quick look at some of the trending hashtags on Twitter will tell you that. 

I should point out that i generally despise Liverpool, was quite happy to see them lose and do align with the view of their fans being absolute riddy merchants at times. However UEFA need slaughtered for their continual inability to manage fairly simple events without turning them into absolute chaos, the tribalistic deflection to blame certain sets of fans - and i include the patter from other Celtic fans last week - lets them off the hook. 

Wonder what it was that UEFA & the French police did so smoothly at the Real Madrid end of the stadium that they couldn't do at the Liverpool end ?

Having just come back from a holiday where there were multiple scousers i'm delighted with this result. Also i've got no doubt that theres no smoke without fire and that these utter sorry excuses for humans were to blame. 

Scousers have an incredible ability to seek out and find trouble in almost any occasion. Constant arguments, fights over utterly nothing. There were 2 scouse couples in my block, arguing and slamming doors at 3am almost nightly. Utter scum to a man they are.

This is actual footage of my holiday

Edited by red23

So many folk blaming UEFA for local authority police tear gassing innocents is annoying to read. 

Edit: I don't mean this thread but across social media in general. 

Edited by FreedomFarter

2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I don’t think we know that’s true at all though. We don’t know how many fake tickets there were and it doesn't take lots to jam up the turnstiles when they don’t work,

The truth is that the videos only show that there were a lot of problems and actually Liverpool fans as well as the organisers were probably both at fault.

We know that there were fake tickets, Liverpool fans were online bragging about them before the game ffs. We’ve seen footage of them going over fences even if others were as well.

Both Liverpool fans and the organisers are at fault and should be taking responsibility for this - the media need to stop trying to absolve them of blame because the “It’s never our fault” narrative is making it worse for them and losing them sympathy from the the aspects where they should get it, that using tear gas in enclosed spaces is wrong and the fans who couldn’t get in with genuine tickets. 

We'll have a better idea how many fake tickets were used when they investigate and announce how many arrests they make over it. Or maybe not.

Don't forget Martin Keown.

"Fletch" is also a shocking commentator while Peter Walton steals a wage with his expert input (which involves him just agreeing with whatever decision the referee makes).

6 hours ago, jagfox said:

Aye klopp comes across as a dick here.

All very well being a laughing likeable character when your team is winning all the time, but you have to show a bit of humility and respect when you lose and he couldn’t even manage that.

9 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

"Fletch" is also a shocking commentator while Peter Walton steals a wage with his expert input (which involves him just agreeing with whatever decision the referee makes).

Aye apologies I shouldn’t have forgot Keown. 

Peter Walton is an absolute snake of a man. Imagine spending your career as a referee, a difficult job with a lot of scrutiny from fans and pundits, and have first hand experience of the pressure that referees at that level face. BT wave a few quid in front of his face and he’s sitting in a studio poring over every refereeing decision and giving his instant opinion on any controversial moments. If I was a referee currently officiating in the EPL, I would be absolutely spewing that this clown managed to get through his career without having an ex referee commentating on him, and the minute he retires he’s in doing exactly that to the current crop of officials. He adds absolutely nothing either, the viewers would manage fine without his input. 

17 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

He is an absolute worst c**t

Someone made a great point on Twitter about TAA and Robertson. 

Even though Robbo is 4 years older, he’s had years of experience of playing in teams where they have to actually defend: Queen’s Park, Dundee United and Hull City. So he can do that side of the game. 

TAA broke into the side in the season it clicked for Liverpool - 17/18 so 99% of the teams he plays against in the PL and the CL, he doesn’t have to do any defending, so has never really had the exposure of spending all game having to actually defend, and it clearly shows any time he’s turned and running back towards his own goal. Last night being a prime example. 

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

Aye apologies I shouldn’t have forgot Keown. 

Peter Walton is an absolute snake of a man. Imagine spending your career as a referee, a difficult job with a lot of scrutiny from fans and pundits, and have first hand experience of the pressure that referees at that level face. BT wave a few quid in front of his face and he’s sitting in a studio poring over every refereeing decision and giving his instant opinion on any controversial moments. If I was a referee currently officiating in the EPL, I would be absolutely spewing that this clown managed to get through his career without having an ex referee commentating on him, and the minute he retires he’s in doing exactly that to the current crop of officials. He adds absolutely nothing either, the viewers would manage fine without his input. 

No different to ex-pros and managers surely?

15 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

No different to ex-pros and managers surely?

Nah I don’t think so. It’s a different level of scrutiny for a referee and they are already getting it from all sides with basically no one in their corner. To sit in a studio as an ex referee saying a current referee has made a mistake after watching slow motion replays and numerous angles is poor from him.