EPL 2022/23

12 minutes ago, s_dog said:

They gave him a new 4-year deal in 2019 (with an option for a further year), it expires this summer. He's apparently on £75K per week and has started around nine games in the last two and a bit seasons. He hasn't even made a subs appearance this season.

It would be some of the best scenes imaginable if he got a start in front of slabface tbh

59 minutes ago, s_dog said:

They gave him a new 4-year deal in 2019 (with an option for a further year), it expires this summer. He's apparently on £75K per week and has started around nine games in the last two and a bit seasons. He hasn't even made a subs appearance this season.

Another of the financial guru Woodward's magnificent 'protect the transfer value' contracts that have cost the club numerous millions and contributed in a big way to their current financial situation. They apparently still owe something like £300m in outstanding transfer fees.

When the new owners take over I expect we're in for a good laugh at the stories that'll come out about just how bad the Glazers and their appointed executives were, a lot of it hidden by SAF's success. They'll probably make the Rangers/Kevin Kyle and Leeds/Seth Johnson stuff look small fry.

On 26/01/2023 at 01:40, senorsoupe said:

He's STILL on the books at Man United?  I thought he left in the summer.  What a sad turn his career has taken

Axel Tuanzebe is as well, 25 year 'Man Utds youngest captain' hasn't played for two years and contract expires end of the season.

He has the Guinness world record for hungry hungry hippos achieved on man Utd preseason. So a mixed career so far.

On 26/01/2023 at 04:17, Raidernation said:

There's no way he can play "his style" with the crap they have for a squad right now.

Bielsas skill is in turning no hopers into good players, rather than necessarily signing them. He thrived at Bilbao despite their restrictive singing policy and turned guys like Luke Ayling into a PL player (and fatty Kalvin Phillips into an England and Man City player).

He could turn it around, maybe he just doesn't want to join mid season. Can do whatever he wants tbh.

There are few certainties in football, Gordons career flailing out seems one of them. Doesn't seem to have the mentality for top level football, and he's been signed on the basis on 'potential' like Ross Barkley and Jack Rodwell before him.

The more surprising one is Phil Foden who has managed 90 mins in the league once since October, and was dropped for 'lack of match fitness'. Clearly something behind the scenes going on, boys a notorious daftie. Could end up being another Dele Alli / Jadon Sancho.

7 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Axel Tuanzebe is as well, 25 year 'Man Utds youngest captain' hasn't played for two years and contract expires end of the season.

He has the Guinness world record for hungry hungry hippos achieved on man Utd preseason. So a mixed career so far.

Bielsas skill is in turning no hopers into good players, rather than necessarily signing them. He thrived at Bilbao despite their restrictive singing policy and turned guys like Luke Ayling into a PL player (and fatty Kalvin Phillips into an England and Man City player).

He could turn it around, maybe he just doesn't want to join mid season. Can do whatever he wants tbh.

There are few certainties in football, Gordons career flailing out seems one of them. Doesn't seem to have the mentality for top level football, and he's been signed on the basis on 'potential' like Ross Barkley and Jack Rodwell before him.

The more surprising one is Phil Foden who has managed 90 mins in the league once since October, and was dropped for 'lack of match fitness'. Clearly something behind the scenes going on, boys a notorious daftie. Could end up being another Dele Alli / Jadon Sancho.

Sancho is a warning to Bellingham that the grass isn't always greener in the EPL.

8 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Gordon's shown promise in the mental department in how he rose above a lot of others as a young guy in a rotten club, but this season has been a bit more worrying. It's always a fine balance between the arrogance and determination required to make it at the highest level and the ill-discipline that that could lead to. It's interesting imo. 

15 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Most of Newcastle's signings have made sense, signing Gordon from Everton just baffles me. 

I'd take a stab that getting a 21yo English player with ~100 senior games, most in the EPL, is enough to warrant a high fee in these crazy days.

Presumably they're looking at launching more foreign players into the squad to so need players for the homegrown rule.

Hes clearly got potential and, if he reaches it, they could get a lot from him.

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd take a stab that getting a 21yo English player with ~100 senior games, most in the EPL, is enough to warrant a high fee in these crazy days.

Presumably they're looking at launching more foreign players into the squad to so need players for the homegrown rule.

Hes clearly got potential and, if he reaches it, they could get a lot from him.

I accept he's been surrounded by utter shite at Goodison, but he's flattered to deceive for me. 

Just now, peasy23 said:

I accept he's been surrounded by utter shite at Goodison, but he's flattered to deceive for me. 

Yeah i doubt he'll ever be more than back up for them, but hes young and English so mega money has to be involved. 

15 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Saint-Maximin is a better player. Howe should just play him.

The last few games highlights how much Howe doesn't fancy him with starting Joelinton out in left wing rather than just playing him. Looks like Shelvey and Fraser will be out the door so be interesting to see what centre mid comes in as cover will be needed there.