EPL 2022/23

10 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Newcastle winning in all the important areas - line breaks, touches in the opposition area and xG.

"line breaks" makes me want to vomit. As does "successful pressures" or whatever the f**k working it is they use for that one.

2 minutes ago, The Master said:

It’s not a terrible point for Leicester that. It puts a bit of extra pressure on Everton because they’ll now need to beat Bournemouth if Leicester beat West Ham. 

Yeah. You'd think West Ham will make a good few changes for that match, so if Leicester can get ahead early on it will at least ask the question of Everton. 

I am always a bit skeptical when football managers command huge salaries. Players - fair enough, they have a unique skillset that cannot be replicated by some guy on the street.

Managers less so. EPL managers and paid more than many CEOs of huge companies but manage (only a part) of pretty small/medium sized companies.

However, this EPL season has shown how important the manager is. The relegation battle can be split into two camps based on good / experienced manager Vs inexperienced / crap manager.

The likes of Emery, Lopertegui, Moyes and Hodgson are a clear cut above the others and have guided their team to safety.

The likes of Gerrard, Smith, Selles, Jones and Gracia have failed miserably. Hasenhuttel and Marsch at least have decent experience but were decidedly meh.

Jury's out on Allardyce and Dyche but regardless they are far more in the Dean Smith camp than the Emery/Moyes camp. Steve Cooper is ok and did a decent job with huge investment.

The two outliers are Gary O'Neill who looks inexperienced but good (a huge step up on Scott Parker) and Brendan Rodgers who was at least a good coach once.

Edited by Satoshi

17 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Sam Allardyce has been managing clubs for three decades surely the jury can't still be out

I meant in terms of this season, he hasn't done a particularly good job but at least was good in the past.

Regardless, he's a big step down from guys like Moyes or Lopertegui.

2 hours ago, Satoshi said:

I meant in terms of this season, he hasn't done a particularly good job but at least was good in the past.

Regardless, he's a big step down from guys like Moyes or Lopertegui.

I was speaking partly in jest

But if we're talking solely in terms of this season then it's a fairly limited sample. 

The difference between a good/bad manager and a manager who's had a good/bad season isn't always clear.

Although as Napoleon famously said "I would rather have a general who was lucky than one who was good." so maybe it doesn't matter

15 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

What would you do tonight if you'd just signed a contract worth seventy-five million quid over five years?

I'd probably take the missus out for a Chinese. A nice one, mind.

Almost every answer I can think of would result in immediate termination of said contract.