EPL 2022/23

11 hours ago, Crow said:

They won 5-0 at Old Trafford last season. 

I’m going back further than last season.

I was talking to someone before the game about how the pendulum had swung in Man Utd’s favour since the 4-0 thrashing Liverpool dished out last Easter. Man Utd were on the ascendency they had sorted out their midfields and centre backs, Rashford absolutely flying and they’d beaten Arsenal and city in recent months and knocked Barcelona out of Europe. It was Liverpool who were having all sorts of questions being asked of them and their manager with a major rebuild needed to get challenging again. Literally nobody saw that thrashing coming.

2 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

Yeah, but as @craigkillie pointed out, the run was broken a few years ago in a game where De Gea (and Phil Jones by the way!) didn't play.

Would that be Phil "future England captain" Jones you are referring to ??!!!!     He has made some amount of dosh for a player of his very limited ability.

19 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The way Fernandes, and to a slightly lesser extent Shaw, have downed tools and put more effort in trying to get red carded than play football is disgraceful. If I were a Man United fan I'd be absolutely disgusted by this. 

Can't speak for every fan obviously, but I wouldn't say I was disgusted - I would be disgusted if it was completely out of character, but Fernandes has these types of games in him. I would have him stripped of the captaincy right now. Shaw is just another in a long line of players who has believed the hype around himself when in actual fact, he's no more than average.

19 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Liverpool have been very good, but that's the biggest downing of tools I've seen from an EPL team for a very long time.

This is it for me. I know that Souness and Carragher were giving Neville stick for saying so, but there was definitely an element of Liverpool pushing at an open door yesterday. I suppose it's chicken and egg - Liverpool were ruthless in the second half, because the United players heids were in the spin dryer, so Liverpool were more ruthless etc.

Ten Hag has a job on his hands now. How does he get into the heads of a team of players who have downed tools and shown no personal or team discipline whatsoever, in the most high profile game they could play?  

You can't have a result like that without one team absolutely chucking it in, unless said teams are absolutely levels apart. That's not the case here. There's an X Factor of United players absolutely throwing the towel in that turns it from a 2 goal win to a hounding for the ages and that, I guess is where Neville is coming from in saying it's a freak result. Even when the better team wins in these scenarios, 99/100 don't end up a severe pumping. 

Though Liverpool are due immense credit, that result doesn't happen without the unexpected United mental collapse, which we fortunately got.

16 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

I’m not sure why managers asking their respective supports not to mock mass tragedies is anything hugely controversial…

Unless I am being whooshed of course. 

Ooft I didn't realise that was the song. That's fair enough. I get irked by the increasing sanitisation and gentrification of football and jumped in with two feet. Made a rip roaring arse of it.

Cheers for the clarity.

8 hours ago, Crow said:

4-2 the season before? 

Back when Liverpool were shit and Utd were actually good and Liverpool would pull off results against Man Utd before resorting back to being shit. They’ll lose to Bournmouth on Saturday.