EPL 2022/23

That was a shambles,  

Does the officials audio get recorded? It would be interesting to see what the comms were that resulted in that.   You wouldn’t expect an ‘on field’ red to take so long.    I suspect we’ve had a breach of VAR protocol to an extent.  VAR have suggest a yellow, it’s been awarded ‘on field’ red just so it can reduced to a yellow,  as they can review and downgrade a red to a  yellow but can’t just give a yellow straight away.

8 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

That was a shambles,  

Does the officials audio get recorded? It would be interesting to see what the comms were that resulted in that.   You wouldn’t expect an ‘on field’ red to take so long.    I suspect we’ve had a breach of VAR protocol to an extent.  VAR have suggest a yellow, it’s been awarded ‘on field’ red just so it can reduced to a yellow,  as they can review and downgrade a red to a  yellow but can’t just give a yellow straight away.

It must've been something like that because Atwell clearly didn't arrive at the red card decision without some external prompting. 

18 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

That was a shambles,  

The explanation at half time was that the referee saw the incident and deemed it a red, but (ostensibly) didn’t see whose hand it was. 

VAR then confirmed the identity of the player allowing the red to be shown, but then also recommended a review.

5 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Don't watch much English football but it's good to see former world beating wonderkid Raheem Sterling is still absolutely pish.

Turns out he may as well stay at home unless the entire team is set up to give him 25 back post tap-ins a season.

I think John Motson was similar in some ways to cricket umpire Dickie Bird, someone who really enjoyed the game perhaps a little beyond the point of being eccentric. None the worse for it, and for me anyway, better than listening to the current crop (and Allan Green, who I couldn't stand). 

28 minutes ago, IncomingExile said:

I think John Motson was similar in some ways to cricket umpire Dickie Bird, someone who really enjoyed the game perhaps a little beyond the point of being eccentric. None the worse for it, and for me anyway, better than listening to the current crop (and Allan Green, who I couldn't stand). 

100% agree about Allan Green, he's the worst. Miserable and over opinionated. 

1 hour ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Was Motson knowledgeable though? 

Genuine question as I only know him from the 90s onwards where he always seemed to me to be an irritating slaver. 

It was brought up on OTB (I know) on Saturday from someone who’d met him that he know almost everything there was to know about Scottish football at the time, which surprised me.

The Ev haven't beaten a team who started the day top of the league, away from home, since beating Wimbledon in September 1986.

Doesn't look like changing soon, 2-0 to The Arse...