EPL 2022/23

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

Not even exaggerating when I say that this Arsenal side is the kind that reminds you why you love football. That last 20 minutes was a ridiculously good performance. 

Yes they were absolutely relentless and played with real quality. Hugely impressed by Saka, Zinchenko and Odegaard again.

58 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Losing twice to Man City and going on to lose the league by a point or two wouldn't be a capitulation though, would it?.

No, but losing to Bradford and not winning again for six games is very, very Arsenal and absolutely is, by definition, a capitulation.  

27 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yes they were absolutely relentless and played with real quality. Hugely impressed by Saka, Zinchenko and Odegaard again.

Yeah they combine the relentlessness of Klopp's Liverpool with the quality of Man City (not quite there yet with the latter but a few signings and they will be). 

I was thinking that the two frontrunners (imo) for PotY both being Norwegian is quite a weird novelty, then Saka pinged that one in to remind me that he's up there as well. 

The way Arsenal have built their team is pretty impressive.  A good mix of smart signings (Odegaard), academy products (Saka, NKetiah), and good youth scouting (Martinelli).  Of the 3 main title protagonists this season, Arsenal are the ones I would prefer to win it

28 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

The way Arsenal have built their team is pretty impressive.  A good mix of smart signings (Odegaard), academy products (Saka, NKetiah), and good youth scouting (Martinelli).  Of the 3 main title protagonists this season, Arsenal are the ones I would prefer to win it

Yeah, I agree with this in the main. It's just really difficult to want them to win it with Thomas Partey in their team. 

11 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

"It's not a capitulation. Man City won 18 games in a row four years ago!"

© @throbber

It was 12 games on the trot last season. I’m still not getting this argument that if you’re in a good position but don’t go on to win something then it automatically means your arse has collapsed. Particularly when you’re dealing with Man City who have a track record of winning so many games on the trot and finishing on about 100 points consistently.

39 minutes ago, throbber said:

It was 12 games on the trot last season. I’m still not getting this argument that if you’re in a good position but don’t go on to win something then it automatically means your arse has collapsed. Particularly when you’re dealing with Man City who have a track record of winning so many games on the trot and finishing on about 100 points consistently.

Half a season is too long for it to be a collapse. A collapse has to happen over a shorter period. 

Indeed. Arsenal could match Man City's results barring one - a loss to say Newcastle or Liverpool - and lose both games to City narrowly and end up with about 95 points and still not win the title. 

The thing to remember about this thread (and I'm guilty of forgetting myself) is that it isn't a thread about the football or about any games played in the division, it's a "banter" thread where you post hashtags like pureBarclays or say something to mimic Richard Keys or whatever. I realise it's a bit "old man shouts at clouds" but you have to take the majority of posts on this thread with a massive pinch of salt.

16 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

If anyone is going to capitulate, it’s Arsenal, though. 

I still mostly expect them to bottle this at some point in the 2nd half of the season, but their attitude and reaction to losing the opening goal yesterday was very impressive.

A setback like that in a high pressure game is exactly the sort of thing that would have sent Arsenal of the past 15 or so years into meltdown. Certainly my first thought when Rashford scored was Arsenal were about to blow it yet again.

Man City had a game in hand, and won 18 of their 19 games between then and the end of the season.

Liverpool lost one more game in the whole season, and that was away to Man City, and they won each of their last nine matches. In no way can that be described as a collapse.

EDIT: Liverpool were also only ever nine points clear at the top that season - Spurs were 2nd at the point they were 10 ahead of City.

Edited by craigkillie

Is there a dictionary definition for "the business end" of the season? For me, it starts in March. So if Arsenal still have a significant lead once March comes around and don't go on to win the league, that's a bottling. Not sure it would be if Man City close the gap before then.

6 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Is there a dictionary definition for "the business end" of the season? For me, it starts in March. So if Arsenal still have a significant lead once March comes around and don't go on to win the league, that's a bottling. Not sure it would be if Man City close the gap before then.

Final 1/3 of your matches for me Jeff