EPL 2022/23

41 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

Forest no shirt sponsor?

It's a strange one, their shirt sponsor went bust but before the season started (might even been last season?) but while they said they'd get one in, they haven't despite being in the Premier League. You'd think a small amount would be better than nothing, or stick a charity logo on. Looks odd with the small badge etc.

16 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Couldn't Haaland have already signed for Real Madrid or Barcelona if he was desperate to do so? The release clause was very low, I can't imagine they wouldn't have met it considering the money they have been splashing around.

Not really that simple, Real wouldn't have invested a great sum in him given they were going for Mbappe and he wouldn't really work alongside the excellent, in form Benzema.

Barcelona are cash strapped and not as attractive as City currently but that will revert to normal in a few years. Even in their current state they still, easily, managed to get several players ahead of Chelsea and De Jong insisted on staying rather than slumming it with Man Utd.

City, with their small quiet stadium, scream rich small time. Real is footballing royalty. It's not even close that almost every player would chose Real.

The big two in Spain repeatedly demonstrate they are top dogs, especially for South Americans and southern Europeans.

As for Haaland, it was repeatedly reported in the media over the last two years Real was his preference and he has structured his city contract to leave in a few years.

The result yesterday caps off a disastrous FPL start for me, no Maddison and Ward on the bench for Kepa.

14 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

It's comparable to the likes of Anfield, Stamford Bridge, Emirates etc

And a full 32% less than Real and 45% less than Barcelona.

Kinda proves my point, these clubs are just on a different level.

And also the Etihad seems to shrink given how crap the crowd are. It will be an easy place for players to play, you'll never seen De Bruyne getting boo'ed but I'm sure Haaland will eventually get the white handkerchief treatment at the Bernabeu like Ronaldo and Raul before him. The top players thrive in the big pressure, high expectation environments.

Also on Pep, he came to Man City only after being with Bayern and Barcelona, City effectively hired everyone he wanted and there's no where he can really go from here. Even City indulged him far more than Bayern ever did. He wouldn't go to PSG and any Italian side is a step down. He's comfortable, but it's not a comparable situation to Haaland who has not yet experienced Spain's big two.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63124826

"So, if he can just work on those basic [defensive] things and get consistency, we won't just have one of the best attacking right-backs this country has ever produced, we will probably have the best right-back the world has ever produced."

I like Gary Neville but that has to be some of the most hyperbolic nonsense that has ever been written.

I know the English overhyping their players isn't exactly a new thing, but there is generally at least a bit of basis to their argument.  The fawning over "Trent" is on a new level to anything I've seen before, and is hugely out of proportion to his actual ability.  It's almost as if they made these wild claims about him when he was breaking through, and are willing it to be true by doubling down on them now despite there being no evidence to support the claims.

None of it makes any sense to me and I actually feel sorry for him.