EPL 2022/23

I think it definitely helps your case for "proper club" status if you have had success in the not too distant past, but have since fallen down the pecking order. I suppose we are into #sleepinggiant territory there. 

Some of it is extremely difficult to define, though. I have always perceived Aston Villa as a more middle-class club than Birmingham City, for example, but calling Aston Villa a "proper club" sounds absolutely fine to me.

Fulham get stick for being a bit Tory and middle-class, but I don't know how I would feel about them being called a "proper club". It doesn't actually sound too far-fetched: "I like Fulham, they're a proper club." But if I heard someone call Watford or Reading a "proper club", for instance, I would simply have to laugh in their stupid face. 

Edited by DrewDon

Never heard of this Italian or the clubs he's managed. 

Good, British managers are being locked out of our league. I'm looking at big Dychey and I'm afraid he'll have to dip back into the Champ before coming back into the big one. Shambles.

4 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I think it definitely helps your case for "proper club" status if you have had success in the not too distant past, but have since fallen down the pecking order. I suppose we are into #sleepinggiant territory there. 

Some of it is extremely difficult to define, though. I have always perceived Aston Villa as a more middle-class club than Birmingham City, for example, but calling Aston Villa a "proper club" sounds absolutely fine to me.

Fulham get stick for being a bit Tory and middle-class, but I don't know how I would feel about them being called a "proper club". It doesn't actually sound too far-fetched: "I like Fulham, they're a proper club." But if I heard someone call Watford or Reading a "proper club", for instance, I would simply have to laugh in their stupid face. 

It's about stories and it's about characters. I'm shocked that you've omitted The Chels from this conversation.

44 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

It's about stories and it's about characters. I'm shocked that you've omitted The Chels from this conversation.

The Chels is an excellent shout. A proper club with proper fans and proper football people. The heartbeat of West London. A great British institution. 

8 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Sunderland are a proper football club.

Absolutely shite for years, loyal fan base, having to be rivals with gloating Georgie fucks.

They love their football up there - and what a job Tony Mowbray is doing, by the way. 

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Are Leeds still a Proper Club?

Yes. Leeds are about as proper as it gets.

"Jessie March" or whatever he is called needs to be emptied immediately, though.

Actually, on that note, I was having a quick round of golf with Dychey the other day. He was in typically great form and is looking for an opportunity to get back in the game.

Whisper it quietly, but the Yorkshire outfit could do significantly worse than getting a top, top operator like Dychey through the door to help them out when the Yank is inevitably forced to crawl back off to the "New York Hurricanes" or the "Chicago Earthquakes" by the turn of the year. 

Edited by DrewDon

8 hours ago, DrewDon said:

When I think about what constitutes a 'proper football club', I think first about the supporters. I think the fanbase of a 'proper football club' will have lots of 'salt of the earth' types; probably quite a strong English working-class identity and a high regard for 'tradition', even if I'm not fully sure how this can be measured. It is more of a vibe, I suppose.

It definitely helps if the club is based in a footballing 'hotbed', too. You are primarily looking at London, the north-east, the north-west for this. 

I think it also helps the case if they are perceived as fairly patriotic, although I'm not sure if this is compulsory; I'm thinking a high visibility on #EnglandAway trips for this. 

They probably aren't known for winning a huge amount, either. I definitely think Manchester City have gradually become much less of a 'proper football club' since around 2008, for example. 

When I think about the most obvious 'proper football clubs', I think of your West Hams, your Millwalls, probably the north-east clubs. When I think about the least 'proper football clubs', I'm looking at your Bournemouths, your Brightons, your MK Donses and your Forest Green Roverses of this land. 

That was a long wided way of saying that it all just depends on their firm being proper nawty.

Can't be long for Brendan now. I guess it depends when the owner comes up with a severance package. Has been a success overall but now City have conceded the most goals from the start of Barclays season. Even worse than the Derby County bin fire.

He would go with the best wishes of most Foxes fans as has achieved rekative successes compared to some far bigger clubs over his period in charge.

Recruitment was stunted by the Southampton head of recruitment being on gardening leave resulting on a dearth of incoming players. 

Total lack of plan B on that front though.

Getting linked with Brentford head coach. Something I don't like about him but could be a decent signing. 

Will it be enough for another great escape like the season before the league was won? I'm not too confident but not impossible. 

10 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

You can tell how shite this season has been already and how shite it will continue to be (have Paddy Power paid out on Man City yet?) when the only stuff on this thread is hilarious "Barclays" banter. Only points of interest are if Arsenal will finish top 4 and when Rodgers get empties.

Or because of all the hilarious ''Barclays'' banter there's nothing else on the thread.