EPL 2022/23

Well, he's earned a reputation as a manager so it would make more sense than Gerrard, who was basically just a starfucking "what a good player he was" appointment.

I'd be happy to give him a chance but feel there are possibly more exciting options out there. That said, I've learned not to get my hopes up when it comes to Villa managers. We usually go for someone massively underwhelming. Anyway, Gerrard could always go on a winning run and make this moot... not likely, but still.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

What's the lineage of "properness" over the years, do you think? And who will be next?

When I think about what constitutes a 'proper football club', I think first about the supporters. I think the fanbase of a 'proper football club' will have lots of 'salt of the earth' types; probably quite a strong English working-class identity and a high regard for 'tradition', even if I'm not fully sure how this can be measured. It is more of a vibe, I suppose.

It definitely helps if the club is based in a footballing 'hotbed', too. You are primarily looking at London, the north-east, the north-west for this. 

I think it also helps the case if they are perceived as fairly patriotic, although I'm not sure if this is compulsory; I'm thinking a high visibility on #EnglandAway trips for this. 

They probably aren't known for winning a huge amount, either. I definitely think Manchester City have gradually become much less of a 'proper football club' since around 2008, for example. 

When I think about the most obvious 'proper football clubs', I think of your West Hams, your Millwalls, probably the north-east clubs. When I think about the least 'proper football clubs', I'm looking at your Bournemouths, your Brightons, your MK Donses and your Forest Green Roverses of this land. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, DrewDon said:
There is simply no bigger "proper football club" in the Barclays than West Ham United. 

What's the lineage of "properness" over the years, do you think? And who will be next?

40 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

When I think about what constitutes a 'proper football club', I think first about the supporters. I think the fanbase of a 'proper football club' will have lots of 'salt of the earth' types; probably quite a strong English working-class identity and a high regard for 'tradition', even if I'm not fully sure how this can be measured. It is more of a vibe, I suppose.

It definitely helps if the club is based in a footballing 'hotbed', too. You are primarily looking at London, the north-east, the north-west for this. 

I think it also helps the case if they are perceived as fairly patriotic, although I'm not sure if this is compulsory; I'm thinking a high visibility on #EnglandAway trips for this. 

They probably aren't known for winning a huge amount, either. I definitely think Manchester City have gradually become much less of a 'proper football club' since around 2008, for example. 

When I think about the most obvious 'proper football clubs', I think of your West Hams, your Millwalls, probably the north-east clubs. When I think about the least 'proper football clubs', I'm looking at your Bournemouths, your Brightons, your MK Donses and your Forest Green Roverses of this land. 

Good, well thought answer. Probably can boil it down to "can you picture this club featuring prominently in a Guy Ritchie/Nick Love film about English football hooligans". If yes = proper football club.

Edit: genuinely couldnt think of a West Ham example for a bit there until I remembered Green Street (#standyourground) was a thing that happened

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

19 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

I would like to nominate Sunderland, Forest, Villa and Wednesday as proper clubs.

Yeah. Big crossover between #proper and #sleepinggiant IMO, which is evident in your selections. 

I'm sure Boro see themselves in the proper bracket, but erring more towards the "are country are rules don't like it leave simple as" branch of properness. 

Theres an interesting Venn Diagram in this somewhere, but its hard to decide if the centre should be "proper" or "boos the knee but cos its political"