EPL 2022/23

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

It's not though.

Clear - easy to perceive, understand, or interpret

Obvious - easily perceived or understood; clear, self-evident, or apparent

If the referee is spending ages looking at a challenge, then his 'error' is neither clear nor obvious.

A clear and obvious error is something like Italy's free kick to win the game against Scotland at Hampden in 2007. It's where the referee for some reason has had a momentary lapse of insanity or an impaired view. 

If it requires multiple slo-mo views, then it's not clear and obvious, or clear or obvious.

I was at primary school when this game happened.

Whenever it is referenced now, I immediately recall one of the parents, on the Monday morning after the game, overhearing me and some friends talking about it. They interjected and started insisting that the referee had been spotted in Glasgow Airport post-match wearing an Italy jersey.

At the time, I was utterly outraged. I remember going home after school and telling my parents about this flagrant injustice, but they were sceptical. It still hasn't been conclusively disproven to me, though. 

18 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Whenever it is referenced now, I immediately recall one of the parents, on the Monday morning after the game, overhearing me and some friends talking about it. They interjected and started insisting that the referee had been spotted in Glasgow Airport post-match wearing an Italy jersey.

At the time, I was utterly outraged. I remember going home after school and telling my parents about this flagrant injustice, but they were sceptical. It still hasn't been conclusively disproven to me, though. 

And now it's on the Internet, that makes it true.  The SFA should be seeking reparations.  

33 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Good for a lot of the Liverpool game, could've easily drawn against Southampton, were far from convincing against a dreadful Leicester side and then dominated for much of today. Could look at it two ways: either it's good that they're getting wins while there are teething problems, or this form is just a flash in the pan. Time will tell.

If Ten Hag deliberately sets the team up to score in the first half then allow themselves to get dominated while hitting teams on the break, then he might be the most genius manager in the league.

They can play the way they did today against Liverpool and Arsenal.

Can't play on the counter for the games against the diddies.

23 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

The thought of you being in primary school when this happened has made me feel very old.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The thought of you being in primary school when this happened has made me feel very old.

Same. I thought he was round about my age, I’m 37 next week. 

10 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

It would be a laugh if they go for Postecoglu to replace him. 

I was thinking exactly this earlier. I really wouldn’t be surprised to see an EPL team take a punt on Postecoglu, I think his style of football would suit a middling team in the Premier League too. Only issue would be the amount of time needed for him to build a squad with the players he needs, but he would be working with a vastly improved budget than what he is at Celtic. 

On 03/09/2022 at 22:42, DrewDon said:

Jesse Marsch needs to learn how we conduct ourselves in this country - and fast.

He needs to cut out the curse words, the pitch encroachment, and start showing a bit of bloody respect to the officials. 

Is that not what they teach at Largs? Can't think of a single manager that doesn't tick all 3 boxes during the course of a single match...................

8 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I was thinking exactly this earlier. I really wouldn’t be surprised to see an EPL team take a punt on Postecoglu, I think his style of football would suit a middling team in the Premier League too. Only issue would be the amount of time needed for him to build a squad with the players he needs, but he would be working with a vastly improved budget than what he is at Celtic. 

I think if he can get a decent showing from Celtic in Europe this year that'll definitely happen. 

42 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I think if he can get a decent showing from Celtic in Europe this year that'll definitely happen. 

Even if Celtic put up a good showing in the group stage, any EPL team sacking a manager around the break for the World Cup will surely have him on their radar. He plays with the inverted wingers in a similar fashion to how Guardiola and Arteta are doing. 

I remember saying on here just after Postecoglu got the job that I liked the sound of him, and I thought he would be a success at Celtic just going by his demeanour and attitude. At that point he hadnt won a game yet, and was being pilloried for utilising Anthony Ralston as an inverted wing back, and attempting to start attacks from the goalkeeper. I think it was the Dundee fan Mr Alli who quoted my post and had a good laugh at it when they got put out of Europe, and to be fair they did look hilariously bad; Starfeldt, Ralston and Taylor especially, who all looked like they would never be suited to a high pressing, high tempo system. You can’t argue that he’s not built the exact system that he said he would, and there’s not a team in Scotland that can live with it currently. Celtic fans are going to have kittens when he eventually leaves, which might not be as far away as they hope it is. 

Building a team to win in Scotland when the finances are such a huge disparity isn't that amazing an achievement. Given big Ange can spend more on a single player than the whole of Scottish football combined (excluding the other set of arses) somewhat lowers the level of achievements. Building a team like that in the EPL will take some serious Barlays cash and time which clubs wont afford. Best be a big fish in a wee pond and there may be a lot of EPL club owners that think the same especially after Slippy hardly selling the case!!!

Certainly looks like times have changed at Leicester and they're no longer the well backed, cuddly little underdogs any more. Big losses, players sold, minimal if any replacements, Vardy on his last legs means they're probably heading back to being just another meh club. I doubt they're that big an attraction for ambitious managers now even if it was a foot in the door to the promised land. 

2 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Building a team to win in Scotland when the finances are such a huge disparity isn't that amazing an achievement. Given big Ange can spend more on a single player than the whole of Scottish football combined (excluding the other set of arses) somewhat lowers the level of achievements. Building a team like that in the EPL will take some serious Barlays cash and time which clubs wont afford. Best be a big fish in a wee pond and there may be a lot of EPL club owners that think the same especially after Slippy hardly selling the case!!!

I do agree, with his financial advantage he should be winning almost every domestic game. As much as it hurts me to say, hes got that Celtic team levels above anything in Scotland in a way that I don’t even think Rodgers achieved. It will be interesting to see how they perform in Europe, and if they put up a good showing in the group stages I can see a mid table EPL team taking a punt on him. He had a good reputation even before he joined Celtic, and word will get around in the footballing world. 

Another thing that’s possibly being overlooked because of how easily they are winning just now, is that every single member of the team looks like they are enjoying playing his style of football. Any interviews I’ve heard with players they always mention the attitude that Ange has instilled and they all seem to have bought in to it. If he can replicate that at other clubs like he seems to be able to do, then I think it’s only a matter of time before he ends up at a bigger club. 

James Maddisons performance at the weekend maybe the worst since Ben Gibson shipped two goals for Norwich last season.

A talented but utterly gutless player, regarded as an arrogant w****r even when compared to other footballers.

Ange was a great appointment for Celtic and expect he will make the step up before too long. He's certainly a far better coach / manager than frauds like Gerrard or Lampard.

Leicester are full of utter shite, right down the spine of the team. You have a 35 and a half year old Vardy who never touches the ball, Maddison running about trying to injure people, totally dialing it in (and has been for 2 years) the boy Amartey at centre half who can't control the ball, and some Welsh jobber in goals who lets shots in like they're going out of fashion.