Champions League thread

craigkillie

Question

The Champions League thread seems to have disappeared from the Misc Other Football Chat forum. It was clearly very active on and around the dates of the semi-finals, but everything posted on those dates seems to be gone too - for example I searched for posts about Benzema on 4th May (the date of the Real Madrid v Man City second leg) and was told there was no content, which is clearly not the case.

Has it been deleted for some reason? If so, can the offending content not be removed and the rest of the thread restored?

9 answers to this question

Looks to me like the OP has deleted it. If a mod had been at it for any reason, say someone posted something dodgy on there, we usually hide the thread rather than deleting it. So mods would still be able to see it... but we can't. I suggest you start a new one and if the old one turns up I'll merge them! ☹️

If anyone has the thread in their search history post the link and I will see what error message pops up when I try to access it.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

21 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

We think the OP has recently left the site and asked for all his posts to be deleted. That means any threads he started have gone too, sorry. 

You haven't done a very good job if that is the case tbh and might be doing it completely wrong.

Read the terms of the site.

Deleting Accounts
If any member of the community wishes to have their account removed they should email support [at] pieandbovril.com from the mailbox that is attached to their account. We may remove the username but may maintain previously written content which will be labelled with an anonymous "guest" username. This is to preserve the structure of discussions in the forum but removes any information specifically linked to the author.

Their profile is still fully accessible and still has private information, like their birthday, shared.

I also don't think people should be able to delete threads they create because as the terms say there is a need to preserve the structure of the website. If you want a thread goen you should have to ask a mod  to lock or delete it.

I did have a look for this thread, there's a hidden trash can where deleted threads go, and it's not in there.

It is possible that I have removed it when removing a user who has asked for their content to also be removed, but I do usually anonymise that content so as to preserve the thread.

Do we know the user in question who created this particular thread?

Thanks to the poster who got in touch regarding this, telling us that the thread in question here was started by @Robin.Hood

I've checked the logs and can see that the poster in question was flagged as a spammer by one of the mods. That action kicks in an automatic process where all the posts made by the flagged member are deleted, and these are not simply moved to the trash bin, they are permanently removed.

The poster had indicated that they wished to leave the forum so can only assume that is why they were flagged as a spammer but in this instance that sadly meant the thread was burned.

I'll update the mods on this process as better just to ban a member who wants to leave rather than flag them as a spammer as this is obviously not what we wanted to happen in this case.

Sorry!