2022/23 SLC Group A

2 hours ago, headthebaw said:

I thought we played well enough to beat Peterhead today without being brilliant.

Peterhead we’re very poor and their goalkeeper fluffed his lines on a couple of occasions. I can’t understand why they only brought 14 players.

Nice to see Dale Carrick pick up another hat-trick.

I’m sure we’ll finish second as I expect Aberdeen to win comfortably tomorrow.

We dominated even with 5 regular starters on the bench the players coming in showed up well, Josh Cooper caught the eye.

Peterhead will be better when they get back to full strength, Injury, illness, suspension is taking its toll early doors.  I heard they signed 2 of the 14 only last night.

Even if we do finish 2nd 8 points isn't good enough to be one of the runners up to qualify, better prize money than third though. 

28 minutes ago, AlbionMan said:

Even if we do finish 2nd 8 points isn't good enough to be one of the runners up to qualify, better prize money than third though. 

If Aberdeen win, I reckon we'll be the best placed team that doesn't progress to the last 16.  Great effort but unlucky.

QOS fans (Group F thread) trying to figure out why the Aberdeen/Rovers game (to decide the final best of the runners up places) is being played today and not yesterday along with the other "final" games.  Can any Dons/Rovers fans shed any light on this?

2 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

QOS fans (Group F thread) trying to figure out why the Aberdeen/Rovers game (to decide the final best of the runners up places) is being played today and not yesterday along with the other "final" games.  Can any Dons/Rovers fans shed any light on this?

It's on Premier Sports, who have the broadcast rights and can't show it at 3pm on a Saturday.    

Is this a "fairness" thing?  With an odd number of teams in each group, the final round of fixtures is never going to be 100% fair anyway, as each group has one team who finish their matches before the other four.  

6 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

It’s on the telly

Guest Flash
44 minutes ago, resk said:

It's on Premier Sports, who have the broadcast rights and can't show it at 3pm on a Saturday.    

Is this a "fairness" thing?  With an odd number of teams in each group, the final round of fixtures is never going to be 100% fair anyway, as each group has one team who finish their matches before the other four.  

I think the tv blackout only applies from 30 July. Even if that’s not right, they could have played this one before all the other games, like Friday night or something. Or play all the other games today.
You’re right that some teams finished in mid-week and it is impossible to be 100% fair. But it is only the two teams playing today who know exactly what they need to qualify in second place. We could have had the situation where one team needed a draw to be seeded and one team needed a draw to qualify.
While it is impossible in this format to have all the final round of games played simultaneously, I don’t think they should make the situation worse by scheduling one game on its own after everybody else has finished.
I’m not having a go at either team and I’m sure they’d play to win in any case. Just a situation that the SPFL should try to avoid, imo.

Was hoping for a carve up similar to West Germany v Austria in the 1982 World Cup.

Rovers score early then both teams piss about. Aberdeen go through as group winners and we go through as runners up.

However, the spanner in the works is that if Aberdeen don't get at least two points today, they'll be unseeded in the knockout stages.

1 hour ago, Specky Ginger said:

However, the spanner in the works is that if Aberdeen don't get at least two points today, they'll be unseeded in the knockout stages.

Yep, gotta hope that the "seeding incentive" sufficiently motivates the Dons - so that they avoid the Ugly Sisters in the first knock-out round.

2 hours ago, resk said:

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

It’s on the telly

Cheers - should have spotted that.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

I think the tv blackout only applies from 30 July. Even if that’s not right, they could have played this one before all the other games, like Friday night or something. Or play all the other games today.

Fair enough if the blackout doesn't apply.  Sunday 3pm is probably just where Premier Sports have a slot then.  And if you played the telly game on Friday, then doesn't that just shift the supposed unfairness from Queens or any of the Saturday teams, to Dons/Rovers?  I don't think the fixture scheduling works like Aberdeen (or any other team) lobbying the telly company /SPFL to let them play the last game of the group stage so they can get a slight competitive advantage, that may not even transpire as the earlier rounds of matches progress.  I could be way out with that though!  

Guest Flash
8 minutes ago, resk said:

Fair enough if the blackout doesn't apply.  Sunday 3pm is probably just where Premier Sports have a slot then.  And if you played the telly game on Friday, then doesn't that just shift the supposed unfairness from Queens or any of the Saturday teams, to Dons/Rovers?  I don't think the fixture scheduling works like Aberdeen (or any other team) lobbying the telly company /SPFL to let them play the last game of the group stage so they can get a slight competitive advantage, that may not even transpire as the earlier rounds of matches progress.  I could be way out with that though!  

Aye, playing on Friday night just would shift the unfairness.
I didn’t mean to suggest anybody had asked for the scheduling. I think the SPFL should schedule the last round of fixtures to be played at the same time (as far as they can given the format).
Anyway, Queens could have avoided all this by their own efforts. It is actually a bonus for us to still even be in with a chance. Hopefully Aberdeen do the business today.

15 hours ago, AlbionMan said:

We dominated even with 5 regular starters on the bench the players coming in showed up well, Josh Cooper caught the eye.

Peterhead will be better when they get back to full strength, Injury, illness, suspension is taking its toll early doors.  I heard they signed 2 of the 14 only last night.

You’re correct, Aberdeen will win this match. We have no defenders and have no strikers. But you know what, we’ve done it before. Just a wee pity we don’t have Tade😢

24 minutes ago, Flash said:

Hopefully Aberdeen do the business today.

Me too.  Although, as you guys might be aware, it's not completely unheard of for a heavily-fancied Dons team to completely shit the bed in a televised cup match.... 

2 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

Was hoping for a carve up similar to West Germany v Austria in the 1982 World Cup.

Rovers score early then both teams piss about. Aberdeen go through as group winners and we go through as runners up.

Two points won't do it for us for seeding. County would take it on goal difference, assuming penalties don't count for that.