2022/23 SLC Group A

2 hours ago, betting competition said:

Looking forward to Stirling Albion tonight

Can't go tonight, but recollection from previous visit is a modern ground in an industrial estate. A bit like Cove's new ground without the haar - but I don't think it's astro?

Stirling is a strange mix of some great historical buildings and old streets, with a nice backdrop.  Then you also have fairly ugly road systems/ concrete jungles in the central area too, with the infamous Raploch not too far away.

Their team seems to have punched below its weight in recent times, but Darren Young could do a good job there. Saturday's result in Kirkcaldy may mean this is the big one, rather than Sunday's previously anticipated winner-takes-all match with Raith.  Could be stodgy stuff given temp at kick off is still forecast as 26°.

10 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Can't go tonight, but recollection from previous visit is a modern ground in an industrial estate. A bit like Cove's new ground without the haar - but I don't think it's astro?

Stirling is a strange mix of some great historical buildings and old streets, with a nice backdrop.  Then you also have fairly ugly road systems/ concrete jungles in the central area too, with the infamous Raploch not too far away.

Their team seems to have punched below its weight in recent times, but Darren Young could do a good job there. Saturday's result in Kirkcaldy may mean this is the big one, rather than Sunday's previously anticipated winner-takes-all match with Raith.  Could be stodgy stuff given temp at kick off is still forecast as 26°.

I do hope Darren Young does a good job like he did at Albion Rovers, wasn't following what he did at East Fife but he did get sacked after 4 years. Stirling Albion seem to have issues at Board level going with the thread "A Message to All Stirling Albion Trust Members" which is a shame as I was hoping it would be successful being fan owned. I do want to see Aberdeen in the future go the same way but maybe the German model is the one to follow. 

9 minutes ago, betting competition said:

I do hope Darren Young does a good job like he did at Albion Rovers, wasn't following what he did at East Fife but he did get sacked after 4 years. Stirling Albion seem to have issues at Board level going with the thread "A Message to All Stirling Albion Trust Members" which is a shame as I was hoping it would be successful being fan owned. I do want to see Aberdeen in the future go the same way but maybe the German model is the one to follow. 

The problem is not the Club being fan owned but the people in the Club Board who seem to think they own the Club and ignore the owners of the Club The Supporters Trust. That`s the problem hopefully once the Trust Board gets rid of these people then the Club can improve. 

Rovers win the shootout so they can still top the group.  Chick Young seemed to think we had clinched top spot at half time, but by full time he'd dialled that back to "the Dons have clinched a place in the knockouts".  I'm not convinced he fully understand how points work, so I tried to work out if we actually had but it made my brain hurt.  I think it would be unusual to get nine points and not progress.  

1 hour ago, resk said:

Rovers win the shootout so they can still top the group.  Chick Young seemed to think we had clinched top spot at half time, but by full time he'd dialled that back to "the Dons have clinched a place in the knockouts".  I'm not convinced he fully understand how points work, so I tried to work out if we actually had but it made my brain hurt.  I think it would be unusual to get nine points and not progress.  

I believe we've qualified. Just need to find out whether we're seeded or not.

12 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I believe we've qualified. Just need to find out whether we're seeded or not.

Think in the scenario Raith beat us by two and we were runners-up, then only the three best runners-up get through.  Right now there looks like five groups where the runners-up could end up with 9 points or more.

Enjoyed the first half last night from a Aberdeen point of view, thought again we looked really good and this time we was clinical which we wasn't in the last two games. We are beginning to gel as a team and that is pleasing. 2nd half we took the foot off the gas but still created quite a few chances. 

Stirling Albion is a nice ground and their set-up for pies was fantastic with like the old fashioned boxes coming out and selling pies so people didn't have to go far from their seats. Some clubs in Premiership could learn a thing or two about this although most pleasing was  £2.80 for a steak and gravy pie compared to £4.10 at Pittodrie!!!

I thought we played well enough to beat Peterhead today without being brilliant.

Peterhead we’re very poor and their goalkeeper fluffed his lines on a couple of occasions. I can’t understand why they only brought 14 players.

Nice to see Dale Carrick pick up another hat-trick.

I’m sure we’ll finish second as I expect Aberdeen to win comfortably tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, headthebaw said:

I thought we played well enough to beat Peterhead today without being brilliant.

Peterhead we’re very poor and their goalkeeper fluffed his lines on a couple of occasions. I can’t understand why they only brought 14 players.

Nice to see Dale Carrick pick up another hat-trick.

I’m sure we’ll finish second as I expect Aberdeen to win comfortably tomorrow.

Can you qualify if you’re 2nd? 

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Can you qualify if you’re 2nd? 

Not unless the Hibernian secretary / penpusher / clipboard-carrier has a relative we've yet to hear about at another club.

2 hours ago, headthebaw said:

I can’t understand why they only brought 14 players.

Read the last few posts on the Peterhead thread.

A few suspensions and injuries but besides that deperately short of players.

Trialists not allowed so we had to make 2 emergency signings just to get 11 players on the pitch.