Scottish League Cup - Group F

I have no idea what your talking about but fair enough 
Something thrown at a player. Apparently a minibus was tanned with the wing mirror broken off. (Also heard the driver got thumped but that may well be a story growing arms and legs). Two young lassies in Ayr trackies (possibly worked at the club?) were giving it the "I smell shite" patter when my mate walked past (which is just juvenile banter) but when he never reacted one of them spat at him.

For a game that is in no way a derby for Ayr some of their support seem to get pretty rattled when playing QoS.

Four natural CBs on the books, one injured and one suspended, so what will the new, flexible Callum Davidson do? 

Spoiler: He'll shoehorn players into his 5-2-3.

The decision to start Gilmour over O'Halloran (or Brown) the other night remains staggering.

Cammy MacPherson has his faults but as a ball-playing midfielder should have been starting ahead of Davidson and if Jamie Murphy and Graham Carey are only fit enough to play 30 minutes, there is a lot of work to do with them over the next few weeks. Have seen a few folk saying they thought Ali Crawford was alright but not for me, still live in hope that Accies or Morton will take him on loan. 

I expected the 5-2-3 the other night but hoped to see a selection that would herald something new, primarily a determination to score some actual goals. Instead it looks very much like talk about having a good shape etc... will remain focused on how we are positioned when we didn't have the ball.

Heading to a League One team and fearing the worst. Where Callum Davidson has taken St Johnstone. 

Guest Flash
18 minutes ago, Radford said:

Heading to a League One team and fearing the worst. Where Callum Davidson has taken St Johnstone. 

In the last 3 seasons (plus 1 game from this), in the League Cup and Scottish Cup Queens home record is:

P10 W1 D3 L6

Losses include two teams from League 2, two from League 1 and two Premiership. Only win was against a League 1 side.

11 minutes ago, Flash said:

In the last 3 seasons (plus 1 game from this), in the League Cup and Scottish Cup Queens home record is:

P10 W1 D3 L6

Losses include two teams from League 2, two from League 1 and two Premiership. Only win was against a League 1 side.

Our win record when fans have come into the game proclaiming their own shiteness and "fearing the worst" is even lower 

14 hours ago, athletic 1 said:

Do neither Queens or St Johnstone do highlights anymore?

From a Saints perspectives we've not released our away top, you can't buy our home strip, and we haven't sent out season tickets for games you need them for.

What makes you think the clubs competent enough to be videoing competitive games and putting highlights out?

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

From a Saints perspectives we've not released our away top, you can't buy our home strip, and we haven't sent out season tickets for games you need them for.

What makes you think the clubs competent enough to be videoing competitive games and putting highlights out?

So what's going on here?  Thought Saints were considered a prime example of how a provincial club could be both well run and competitive.  Wind the clock back 12 months and you've two big cups on the shelf and going toe to toe with some "names" from the European leagues with a full stadium.  OK, so you've cashed in on some key assets since then which would be bound to affect results on the park, but the current general malaise (eg your comments above) seems to have more behind it than that.

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

So what's going on here?  Thought Saints were considered a prime example of how a provincial club could be both well run and competitive.  Wind the clock back 12 months and you've two big cups on the shelf and going toe to toe with some "names" from the European leagues with a full stadium.  OK, so you've cashed in on some key assets since then which would be bound to affect results on the park, but the current general malaise (eg your comments above) seems to have more behind it than that.

It's one of those things that isn't pinned down to one thing. Football wise the recruitment has been about 80% disaster since the cup wins. Considerable in Saints terms paid for players, most of them barely kicking a ball after signing. Guys like Ambrose signed, thrown straight into the team then pumped out on loan after 4-5 games. Scout they brought in lasted like 6-7 months in the job. Since then we've signed mostly stop gap players 33+ year olds with injury problems.

When they did sell McCann & Kerr they sold them without any plans of who they'd bring in to replace them and ended up with shambles last minute loan signings who were just not up to the standard.

Many fans are also driven mad with Davidsons interviews. Constant blame directed at the referee and even singling out players in interviews for criticism while never admitting he's to blame for anything. Stubbornly sticking to the same game plan and tactics, despite defeat after defeat. Tommy Wright got stick for his brand of football. Davidson takes it to the next level in terms of 💩

Off the field, the staff do a reasonable job considering there's very few full time employees at the club. It's just small things like they don't seem to learn from their mistakes. Examples, whenever there's a "bigger" crowd the consistently run out of hot food, sometimes before kick off.

The season tickets and strips things are probably out of the clubs control as they're managed by 3rd party suppliers but there's usually complete silence from the club relating to it. For example they could say "we expect strips to be on sale by end of July". "Season tickets be posted out in bulk once the sales window closes" but instead they just don't acknowledge any of it despite the barrage of fans asking what's going on.

Interviews with players behind an additional subscription paywall... They had an interview from a Ukrainian player talking about his family back in Ukrainian when the war started behind a paywall? 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Another example would be the Annan game during the week the club were directing away fans to their own club's website for tickets for the game. Annan weren't selling tickets on their site for the game and apparently don't have any facility to do so.

It's just constantly small things like that which are leading to fan frustration. 

Brown is also apparently not running the club day to day anymore and has appointed someone else to do so but there hasn't really official explanation from the club of what is going on. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

1 hour ago, nelsjfc said:

Assume its not going to be possible to watch Qos vs saints game online via either club?

QoS have stated they will not be streaming any home games this season (to subscribers within the UK at least). This is probably a blessing as, on a sunny day as is being forecast, the glare off our plastic carpet spoils the visual side, and the commentary (which I've not personally heard since the competent guy left) spoils the audio side. A shame as at least the camerawork was usually very good. 

4 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

It's one of those things that isn't pinned down to one thing. Football wise the recruitment has been about 80% disaster since the cup wins. Considerable in Saints terms paid for players, most of them barely kicking a ball after signing. Guys like Ambrose signed, thrown straight into the team then pumped out on loan after 4-5 games. Scout they brought in lasted like 6-7 months in the job. Since then we've signed mostly stop gap players 33+ year olds with injury problems.

When they did sell McCann & Kerr they sold them without any plans of who they'd bring in to replace them and ended up with shambles last minute loan signings who were just not up to the standard.

Many fans are also driven mad with Davidsons interviews. Constant blame directed at the referee and even singling out players in interviews for criticism while never admitting he's to blame for anything. Stubbornly sticking to the same game plan and tactics, despite defeat after defeat. Tommy Wright got stick for his brand of football. Davidson takes it to the next level in terms of 💩

Off the field, the staff do a reasonable job considering there's very few full time employees at the club. It's just small things like they don't seem to learn from their mistakes. Examples, whenever there's a "bigger" crowd the consistently run out of hot food, sometimes before kick off.

The season tickets and strips things are probably out of the clubs control as they're managed by 3rd party suppliers but there's usually complete silence from the club relating to it. For example they could say "we expect strips to be on sale by end of July". "Season tickets be posted out in bulk once the sales window closes" but instead they just don't acknowledge any of it despite the barrage of fans asking what's going on.

Interviews with players behind an additional subscription paywall... They had an interview from a Ukrainian player talking about his family back in Ukrainian when the war started behind a paywall? 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Another example would be the Annan game during the week the club were directing away fans to their own club's website for tickets for the game. Annan weren't selling tickets on their site for the game and apparently don't have any facility to do so.

It's just constantly small things like that which are leading to fan frustration. 

Brown is also apparently not running the club day to day anymore and has appointed someone else to do so but there hasn't really official explanation from the club of what is going on. 

Cheers for the explanation.  I guess quite a bit of that could apply to most Scottish clubs - certainly in the Tier 2 and Tier 3 bracket at least (which won't be any consolation to you).

I've been saying for a while on the QOS thread that a big part of management is about the ability to motivate players.  I used to listen to the moans from our ex manager Johnston in his post match interviews and I'd think to myself ... christ I'm depressed listening to this, what the hell's he like in the dressing room pre-match?  Quite a few managers that I've listened to fit this mould and from the TV interviews I've seen Davidson seems keen on joining that not-so-select club.  It's early days for Gibson at QOS but his initial approach and interviews have been something of a relief - hope I haven't jinxed this now.

It's also amazing how many clubs seem to view the fans as something of an annoying side-show.  They don't seem to get that they're paying customers and all businesses need to put their customers first.  Queens fans often moan on here about the lack of feedback from the club, and eventually this usually prompts a belated statement on the OS which could have avoided all the moans in the first place if it had been proactively issued.

Just shows how easy it is to go from everything in the garden being rosy to something approaching a complete tits up.  Guess most clubs at this level constantly flirt with the risk of impending doom - only takes a few mistakes here and there and the slippery slope awaits.

Still, on a much happier note. you're away to QOS on Saturday (who despise winning at home - @Flash will provide the details) so what's not to like, eh? 🙂

Saintees ... what's the situation with Zander Clark these days - still at the club?  Thought I'd heard that he was in discussions with Jack Ross at Tannadice.

A lot of Queens fans will fondly remember Zander from his loan spell here.

31 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Saintees ... what's the situation with Zander Clark these days - still at the club?  Thought I'd heard that he was in discussions with Jack Ross at Tannadice.

A lot of Queens fans will fondly remember Zander from his loan spell here.

Gone & currently without a club. There was plenty articles about Championship clubs being after him but no deal signed. Makes me wonder whether or not those were nonsense spread by his agent (Jackie Mcnamara 😬) to get a better deal out of United. 

He's been seen in the last few weeks training on his own in his o old Saints gear but hasn't been at training and the club have been trying (some would say woefully) to replace him.

2 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Gone & currently without a club. There was plenty articles about Championship clubs being after him but no deal signed. Makes me wonder whether or not those were nonsense spread by his agent (Jackie Mcnamara 😬) to get a better deal out of United. 

He's been seen in the last few weeks training on his own in his o old Saints gear but hasn't been at training and the club have been trying (some would say woefully) to replace him.

Surely above the level of Championship cubs. Must be squeezing United for the best deal ... dangerous game to play if there's no other offers mind.

For those travelling down to the game tomorrow, the preview on our official site says As far as we are aware there are no ongoing roadworks currently around Dumfries that may affect travel times to Palmerston Park. Fans should check the Traffic Scotland website at http://trafficscotland.org/index.aspx for confirmation of any delays.

That site seems to me to say the A701 is closed between Amisfield  and Parkgate all weekend

Road Closure A701

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Guest Flash
11 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

For those travelling down to the game tomorrow, the preview on our official site says As far as we are aware there are no ongoing roadworks currently around Dumfries that may affect travel times to Palmerston Park. Fans should check the Traffic Scotland website at http://trafficscotland.org/index.aspx for confirmation of any delays.

That site seems to me to say the A701 is closed between Amisfield  and Parkgate all weekend

Road Closure A701

Traffic Scotland website says to use the B7076 (which I think is the old A74) from Beattock to Lockerbie. I would stay on the motorway and leave at the Lockerbie junction then A709 to Dumfries. Or take the B7020 (south of Beattock) to Lochmaben. 

38 minutes ago, Flash said:

Traffic Scotland website says to use the B7076 (which I think is the old A74) from Beattock to Lockerbie. I would stay on the motorway and leave at the Lockerbie junction then A709 to Dumfries. Or take the B7020 (south of Beattock) to Lochmaben. 

Beattock to Lochmaben B7020 was pothole hell the last time I was on it. Continue on A74M to Lockerbie then Dumfries is obvious diversion. Might add at least 20 minutes to journey time than the direct road from Beattock to Dumfries. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs