2022/23 SLC Group H

Good 4-1 victory for QP this evening. Took a while to get going and Forfar were much better than Stranraer at the weekend, much more organised and didn't make any daft mistakes at the back to give us an easy opening. Unlikely goal scoring heroes today with a double for Lee Kilday and an absolute zinger from Lewis Moore, and very glad to see Scott Williamson get a bit more time on the park and cap it off with his first goal for the club. Fingers crossed it's the first of many, there have been some fairytale stories from QP before but to go from the 7th > 2nd tier and keep banging them in would be right up there with the best of them.

Forfar looked a better outfit than Stranraer and 4-1 maybe flattered us a wee bit, but it’s good to see us taking chances. Williamson looked useful when he came on and great to see him on the scoresheet. Pleased for Lewis Moore, couple of nice touches and a great finish for the goal. Saw Coyle with the arm round him and words of encouragement at the end as well. 

Wee bit loose at the back for the goals again, but there’s always going to be dodgy moments at this point. Dundee next week will be a big test for us. Hoping the weather is pish because that sun was absolutely murder.

Not great by any stretch but thought 5-2 flattered Stranraer a bit. Accies should have been 3 or 4 up at half time. Bit surprised to see Luke Watt at Stranraer - surplus to requirements ar Linlithgow not long ago.

Mimnaugh better start showing something (anything) to justify his involvement over the past few seasons.
A neat and tidy player no doubt, but struggles to influence a game in any way.
Tonight would be a good place to start...
Also, Want injured again? FFS
Showed something (anything) tonight tbf.

An enjoyable second half. Best players all got on the ball and made better decisions, plus Stranraer stopped getting in behind our wing-backs quite as much. Smith moving more into the 10 with Ryan + Winter ahead made a difference imo.

For about 15 minutes, Smith was back in 2019 and it was a joy to behold.

Still some really worrying signs defensively though.

An enjoyable night of football; when we pass the ball to feet quickly, we create chances and score goals. It has been sometime since we last scored more than three in consecutive matches.

Ony two points of concern; too often we allow the opposition to get their crosses into our box and can we please learn what to do with our throw-ins. 

Four well worked goals, including Forfar’s, and a wonderful moment of opportunism from Lewis Moore. He wouldn’t have dared take that shot last season. You can see the confidence and belief all around. Coyle and Beuker have really got the Mo-jo going. Thomson, Davidson and Murray all improved on last season. And something badly missed last year, goals from big defenders at set plays. Looking very promising.

43 minutes ago, CathcartSkins said:

Only two points of concern; too often we allow the opposition to get their crosses into our box and can we please learn what to do with our throw-ins. 

The crosses from open play that we are allowing in are usually cleared by Charlie Fox. But the crosses from set pieces we are taking 2 or 3 attempts to clear, which is very unlike us. Better teams than Stranraer and Forfar would have punished us.

However. Kilday took his 2 goals very well. Simon Murray was a machine with the majority of our attacking play going through him. Seriously, the guy was on the left, right and through the middle for 90 minutes. Dropping deep more than once to start another attack. He’s been tremendous. 

Was buzzing for Williamson who took his goal brilliantly (after a lovely touch from Murray again) Left the defender for dead and was very composed to round the keeper. Still very early days in his QP career and it’s some jump from Cambuslang Rangers, but the guy looks to have something. 

Think there’s one guarantee with us to is season. It isn’t going to be boring. 

Even if the last 2 games have been against league 2 opposition, you can’t not enjoy seeing 9 goals scored across them. Coyle seems to have injected so much more life and enthusiasm into our attacking play and overall mentality throughout the team and so far it’s paying off massively. 

We were sloppy in spells, particularly in the early stages of the 2nd half but once we scored the 2nd goal, we were in cruise control. I can’t help but not get excited over the prospect of Williamson up top for us. He took his goal brilliantly and showed a great burst of pace as he was a couple yards behind the defender to begin with. 

MOTM was Murray for me. He lead the line like a proper championship striker and his touches, movement and link up play was levels above anyone on the pitch. Just hoping he doesn’t get injured as I did notice he was holding his leg at the beginning of the 2nd half. Davidson is making a very strong claim to be the starting right back although I’d imagine we’ll see Naismith play against Dundee and Hamilton 

I actually thought Stranraer looked better than Forfar when comparing the teams on the two performances. Forfar I thought were pretty rank. It’s just nice to see us look considerably better as we’ve struggled against lower league opponents in recent times 

Edited by qpfc

It would appear that the usual reason for sponsoring a football competition - to get your brand name out amongst the fans - isn't really taking effect for this.

I bought a ticket for the Hamilton game on Saturday and just bought a ticket to go to Ochilview next week; both have the competition as the "Premiere Sports Cup".

Well done all round...

Delighted with that tbh, part from that wee sloppy spell obviously. We look like scoring every time we go forward these days. So much energy and attacking ability. Some goal by Williamson, great pace and movement to make the defender look like he was towing a tractor and a cool finish. Next Tuesday of course will be a harder test. Then we'll know what level we're at for the Championship.   

No offence intended to the mighty Stranraer, but I get the feeling that most Dees are pretty much looking towards Tuesday as the group decider. 

I mean, going to Stranraer early in the season in the League Cup just after being relegated can't be that difficult, can it... 🤔

No offence intended to the mighty Stranraer, but I get the feeling that most Dees are pretty much looking towards Tuesday as the group decider. 

I mean, going to Stranraer early in the season in the League Cup just after being relegated can't be that difficult, can it... [emoji848]
As both Accies & QP put 5 past them I think you'll be fine!

Sounds like it was coming, but we probably needed a howler from Stranraer to get us going as we have done nothing with all our possession and were just mulling about. Hopefully the second half will be a relaxed affair and we can pick them off a bit more.