The garden wildlife thread

Return of the badger and a first appearance for one of this year's fox cubs. The usual wee vixen came over at the back of 11, scoffed all the best food herself and then brought the cub over later to polish off the scraps. Poor badger got a fright when the milkman came to drop the milk off.

• 3 weeks later...

Badger was back last night, it's possible the dry weather is forcing him/her to look for food further afield as they'd normally be able to dig for earth worms. Seemed to be having a fun time plundering our raspberries and gave one of the fox cubs a fright. 

On 03/06/2022 at 14:45, alta-pete said:

At the start of lockdown I witnessed a Sparrowhawk chase a pigeon into our living room window and execute the stunned bird with a scalpel like slash to its neck artery. Caught the gore on video, I’ll see if I can find it…

We moved house to a more rural position a month or so ago. The milkman delivers eggs with our milk but someone had ripped open the egg box and helped themselves to three, two of which seemed to be shells and all. What’s that likely to be? An enterprising cat (I doubt it, it never happened at the old place) or a fox or badger? 

I had to cancel my eggs order as the foxes (or birds) were eating most of them before I got a chance to take them in.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 20/04/2023 at 00:25, abievoller7 said:

I might be a bit late, but I'm here to share my ideas. Your efforts to make your garden more wildlife-friendly sound amazing! It's fantastic to hear that you've been able to attract a variety of birds and even hedgehogs and foxes! As for tips, I've heard that planting native plants that bloom at different times of the year can help attract and support pollinators. In addition, it's also a great idea to create a space in your garden where you can relax and enjoy the natural surroundings. You can learn this here now by checking out the excellent resource GardenFurniture.co.uk. Quality outdoor furniture can provide a comfortable and stylish place to unwind and appreciate your hard work.

We're hoping to get some more stuff done this year, my plan is to plant a couple more native shrubs like dog rose and maybe some hawthorn. Currently all of the flower beds bar one have stones over weed suppressing fabric so we're hoping to free up a bed or two by removing the stones and fabric to let the soil breathe a bit and get some caterpillar food plants like nettle on the go. 

We're still getting visits from our nocturnal mammals, there are 2 pairs of foxes that are visiting. One pair is made up of the surviving male cub from last year along with a female cub that started coming later on in the year and wasn't part of the original family. The other pair is the older male from last year who's paired up with a new vixen. Both the vixens are currently nursing so we'll hopefully catch some cubs on the camera soon.

We got a female badger showing up a few times in March and the hedgehogs have started coming back in April although there are a pair of them about it's usually just the male I see on camera.

I wound up starting a Facebook blog style thing as well which has been quite fun to do.

• 3 months later...

I bought a house last month, so am now the owner of a small garden.

Can anyone recommend: (i) a good camera to capture overnight wildlife (there are tons of squirrels in the trees and, if nothing else, there seem to be a number of foxes in the area given the amount of scat); and (ii) a bird-feeder camera (or are the aforementioned squirrels going to eat everything that is put out for the birds anyway)?

I am, as is perhaps obvious, not an expert... 

11 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Can anyone recommend: (i) a good camera to capture overnight wildlife (there are tons of squirrels in the trees and, if nothing else, there seem to be a number of foxes in the area given the amount of scat); and (ii) a bird-feeder camera (or are the aforementioned squirrels going to eat everything that is put out for the birds anyway)?

A simple Apeman or similar IR illuminated trail camera served me well for observing wildlife when I had a garden. It’s very easy to overspend for a nighttime camera, but you aren’t getting much extra. Use the money on the daytime unit.

11 hours ago, arab_joe said:

I have a Technaxx TX-117 trail cam that I use to monitor specific areas when needed, the battery life is good, and it only uses 4 AAs. I got it in Costco for about £45.

I also have a Tapo C320WS outdoor webcam fixed to the fence in the top corner of the garden. This records the whole garden 24/7 so I can look back over the last few days to see if there has been anything of interest in the garden. I’ve got it set up to record all the time, but you can set it to only record on motion detection etc. Amazon has them for about £55 as I remember it. My picture of the four hedgehogs a few posts up was from that camera, it's zoomed in a but but it gives you an idea of the nighttime quality. The hedgehogs are probably about 10-12 feet from the camera.

• 3 months later...

Some nice footage from last weekend of 4 of our visiting foxes. First two are this year's cubs, third is a vixen that seems to have suffered some abuse this year as she suddenly appeared with a torn lip and ears, the fourth is the old male that seems to be the big boss man of the area. 

• 3 months later...

First hedgehog of the year in the garden last night. It's currently sleeping in the feeding station. I want to go and make sure there's still food left for it but I don't want to scare it off during daylight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...