The garden wildlife thread

I had a stoat or weasel either living underneath or had been using it as cover to pass through.

If all you see is the head poking out for a second it's not always obvious. But in the open its easy.
Stoats are about 50% bigger than Weasels.
Stoats have long tails with a black tips. Weasels have a wee tail.
Stoats bound along when they run.
Weasels run along much lower to the ground.

If all you see is the head poking out for a second it's not always obvious. But in the open its easy.
So stoatily different and weasily told apart.

Yeah I can usually tell the difference but this one just kept peeking out at me from underneath and wouldn't come out until I was gone.
I had 4 chickens at the time so was a bit worried what it was after but it didn't bother them as far as I'm aware.

This is a comma butterfly I saw in our garden a couple of years ago.  I'd never seen one in our area before. I have read that you can leave a corner of the garden to get scruffy and wild and it's good for butterflies.

For some odd reason (I suspect a neighbour of wildlife crime) we also have plantir newts in our garden. 

IMG_20190901_124533771.thumb.jpg.bf17be02fd18211a3e18eba4fe9e7e42.jpg

5 hours ago, tamthebam said:

This is a comma butterfly I saw in our garden a couple of years ago.  I'd never seen one in our area before. I have read that you can leave a corner of the garden to get scruffy and wild and it's good for butterflies.

For some odd reason (I suspect a neighbour of wildlife crime) we also have plantir newts in our garden. 

IMG_20190901_124533771.thumb.jpg.bf17be02fd18211a3e18eba4fe9e7e42.jpg

I have a buddleia in the garden and last year was covered in butterflys. 

I also have a comfrey plant that the bees love.

On 28/05/2022 at 15:04, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

I have a buddleia in the garden and last year was covered in butterflys. 

I also have a comfrey plant that the bees love.

I'm thinking of planting an area with Hebe for this reason, but not sure if it'll be too cold where we are (Glasgow area).

Anyone had any success with it?

Caught an amusing moment on the garden cam last night. Foxy turned up looking for a feed but hedgehog wasn't for moving.
Hedgehog 1 - 0 fox

Superb.

Get that sent to that Australian lad for some indelibly annoying dubbing

11 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

What's this now?🤣

Some aussie guy that dubs over videos with a really camp voice. 

First came to my attention on a video of a honey badger running about doing honey badger hings. 

Was the first thing that popped into my head when the fox realised he was a jaggy wee fucker 😂

On 28/05/2022 at 12:21, Rizzo said:

Set the camera up in video mode a couple of nights ago and made a wee fox compilation video. "Best of hedgehog" video is currently in production.

Is that the hedgehogs gaff next to the feeding station? Or something else that the fox fancies getting in amongst?

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Is that the hedgehogs gaff next to the feeding station? Or something else that the fox fancies getting in amongst?

There is a wee hedgehog box further back, the bowl is just for water and the hedgehog is sitting in the middle of the food which I've presented on a wee kitchen tray. 🤣

Great idea for a thread! I'm stuck in an apartment building right now but you see some awesome stuff over here in B.C.

Just out of town there are beautiful wild horses running around. The Humming Birds are cool to look at.

Nothing beats seeing an eagle though. It leaves me feeling a little funny every time.

Come to think of it... I fucking love this place.

Here are some customers who dropped in on one of our businesses last week...

image.jpeg

Edited by The Equalizer

At the start of lockdown I witnessed a Sparrowhawk chase a pigeon into our living room window and execute the stunned bird with a scalpel like slash to its neck artery. Caught the gore on video, I’ll see if I can find it…

We moved house to a more rural position a month or so ago. The milkman delivers eggs with our milk but someone had ripped open the egg box and helped themselves to three, two of which seemed to be shells and all. What’s that likely to be? An enterprising cat (I doubt it, it never happened at the old place) or a fox or badger? 

Just now, alta-pete said:

At the start of lockdown I witnessed a Sparrowhawk chase a pigeon into our living room window and execute the stunned bird with a scalpel like slash to its neck artery. Caught the gore on video, I’ll see if I can find it…

We moved house to a more rural position a month or so ago. The milkman delivers eggs with our milk but someone had ripped open the egg box and helped themselves to three, two of which seemed to be shells and all. What’s that likely to be? An enterprising cat (I doubt it, it never happened at the old place) or a fox or badger? 

Our fox has a liking for eggs but so do badgers. Could be either or.

I'm thinking of planting an area with Hebe for this reason, but not sure if it'll be too cold where we are (Glasgow area).
Anyone had any success with it?
Here on the Ayrshire coast I struggle to get Hebe's through the winter even in pots. Best if you have a greenhouse to over winter them.