What's your favourite one of these?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Crossword 

Narrow it down to subjects would be my tip, being as I'm an expert now after doing #47. Science, geography, netflix, scandal, award, music etc.

41 guesses for Redactle today. Just tried Semantle, used "hint" at 136th attempt and got the answer the next go, which was nothing like where my better scoring guesses were taking me. Grrrr.

54 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

41 guesses for Redactle today. Just tried Semantle, used "hint" at 136th attempt and got the answer the next go, which was nothing like where my better scoring guesses were taking me. Grrrr.

That's part of the thing with semantle - you can have words with 'dead end' meanings, because some other meaning has the closer references; for instance if you have 'burn' as the target, then 'river' and 'stream' and so forth will get you quite close to the end word, but there's all the 'scorch' and 'sear' and 'roast' meanings that will take up the closest spots. Even when you're getting some matches in the top 1000, it's still worthwhile to throw a few random words in there to see if there's a bunch of meanings you've missed.

The visualization in pimantle is a neat innovation that shows you if your words are likely to be that kind of  dead end, in that the 'arms' of the outgoing spirals tend to be the closest meanings - e.g. they'll all be names of animals or something, and if the closet dot in the spiral arm is still quite far from the target, you're looking at one of these dead end groups of meanings.

Edited by Aim Here

48 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

That's part of the thing with semantle - you can have words with 'dead end' meanings, because some other meaning has the closer references; for instance if you have 'burn' as the target, then 'river' and 'stream' and so forth will get you quite close to the end word, but there's all the 'scorch' and 'sear' and 'roast' meanings that will take up the closest spots. Even when you're getting some matches in the top 1000, it's still worthwhile to throw a few random words in there to see if there's a bunch of meanings you've missed.

The visualization in pimantle is a neat innovation that shows you if your words are likely to be that kind of  dead end, in that the 'arms' of the outgoing spirals tend to be the closest meanings - e.g. they'll all be names of animals or something, and if the closet dot in the spiral arm is still quite far from the target, you're looking at one of these dead end groups of meanings.

I'll show you my list of words tomorrow, it was getting incredibly gory, which isn't a clue to the answer..:1eye

On 24/05/2022 at 19:53, Miguel Sanchez said:

If it's any consolation after getting the 998/1000 word I used a hint for 999, had no idea how it was related and when I gave up it was just the plural of that.

That tip has just saved my sanity on pimantle, thank you.