Squad announced for June fixtures

Donathan

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

We really don't need another international break of you boring the forum to death about underestimating the opposition but thanks anyway.

Given you have no say over what I post then if you don't want me pointing out that you're underestimating the opposition then stop underestimating the opposition. Thanks anyway.

43 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Ireland won’t be a “gimme” but failing to take at least 4 points from them in the UNL would be very disappointing. We should really be looking to win that section if we harbour ambitions to become regulars at the World Cup/knockout stages of the euros in the coming years 

We will be looking to win the section no doubt, but it's not going to be as straightforward as win 3 points against Ukraine, 4 points against Ireland and 6 points against Armenia. It just doesn't work that way.

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Given you have no say over what I post then if you don't want me pointing out that you're underestimating the opposition then stop underestimating the opposition. Thanks anyway.

We will be looking to win the section no doubt, but it's not going to be as straightforward as win 3 points against Ukraine, 4 points against Ireland and 6 points against Armenia. It just doesn't work that way.

6 against Armenia is the minimum standard. We should be able to roll out an XI of Marshall, Hendry, Cooper, McKenna, SOD, Jack, Ferguson, Hickey, Armstrong, Brown and Christie and still beat Armenia at home. That is the game that will be the rotation game.

2 minutes ago, Donathan said:

6 against Armenia is the minimum standard. We should be able to roll out an XI of Marshall, Hendry, Cooper, McKenna, SOD, Jack, Ferguson, Hickey, Armstrong, Brown and Christie and still beat Armenia at home. That is the game that will be the rotation game.

I don't know anything about the Armenia national team other than that Mkhitaryan has retired, what makes you think we should be getting 6 points against them and when has a Nations League group or otherwise ever worked that way?

On 26/05/2022 at 08:49, 2426255 said:

I don't know anything about the Armenia national team other than that Mkhitaryan has retired, what makes you think we should be getting 6 points against them and when has a Nations League group or otherwise ever worked that way?

Armenia lost 9-0 to Norway in March, and 5-1 to North Macedonia in November.  Their Nations League group to get them promoted to this section was Estonia, North Macedonia, and a very poor Iceland team.

Oh, and outside of Liechtenstein and San Marino, they are the only side to have lost a competitive game against Gibraltar.

Make what you will of that, but they are a very poor side and distinctly the worst in Group B of the UNL.

22 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Armenia lost 9-0 to Norway in March, and 5-1 to North Macedonia in November.  Their Nations League group to get them promoted to this section was Estonia, North Macedonia, and a very poor Iceland team.

Oh, and outside of Liechtenstein and San Marino, they are the only side to have lost a competitive game against Gibraltar.

Make what you will of that, but they are a very poor side and distinctly the worst in Group B of the UNL.

Surely Iceland aren’t down in league C? I know they’ve regressed a bit since 2016/2018 but I’d assume they’re in the same league as us at very worst 

33 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

The context for Armenia's WC 2022 campaign is that they were competitive in 2022 World Cup Qualifying group J and were involved in a three way fight with North Macedonia and Romania to earn a WC playoff spot.

The game against North Macedonia was a winner takes all match 6 months ago for a WC play off spot. While superficially the result is shocking I don't think it's likely to tell the story of the game. I haven't seen the game so I can't say with certainty but I think there is a chance that Armenia decided (having lost two in the first half) to go for it and that losing 5 nil is as bad as losing 2 nil. I don't think it's a good barometer of them as a team.

I'm not so certain it should be a guaranteed six points.

9 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

The context for Armenia's WC 2022 campaign is that they were competitive in 2022 World Cup Qualifying group J and were involved in a three way fight with North Macedonia and Romania to earn a WC playoff spot.

The game against North Macedonia was a winner takes all match 6 months ago for a WC play off spot. While superficially the result is shocking I don't think it's likely to tell the story of the game. I haven't seen the game so I can't say with certainty but I think there is a chance that Armenia decided (having lost two in the first half) to go for it and that losing 5 nil is as bad as losing 2 nil. I don't think it's a good barometer of them as a team.

I'm not so certain it should be a guaranteed six points.

They won 3/10 games.  They beat Iceland and Romania at home, and Liechtenstein away.  They were only competitive in the group because of how poor Romania and Iceland were (and 'competitive' is certainly a push, 10 points is a very poor return in a group with Liechtenstein). 

North Macedonia had the qualification of their lives, and still only had 2 more points than Israel/Austria did in our group.

They are no gimme, but they are a distinctly weaker team than a side like Israel.  They'll be better than Moldova, but similar to how sides like Lithuania and Georgia have setup against us in the past.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

4 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

They are no gimme, but they are a distinctly weaker team than a side like Israel.  They'll be better than Moldova, but similar to how sides like Lithuania and Georgia have setup against us in the past.

I heard that they like to use a reasonably attacking setup. My point is that we don't know enough about them to be stereotyping them as a crap or just a clone of other Eastern European national teams such as Lithuania, Georgia or Kazakhstan. Armenia play Ireland on Saturday which will be informative.

I watched their home game against Liechtenstein back in September. It was v boring and the pitch was shit were my main takeaways. Considering they had about 90% of the ball, it probably/hopefully wasn't a reflection of how our game against them will go.

4 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Has it been confirmed that the previous tickets are still valid?

When you go on to buy tickets on the Scottish FA website it says under the Ukraine, Armenia and ROI home games that the previous tickets are valid. Bloody hope so otherwise I've nae idea how I'll be getting into Hampden tomorrow!

New Bitmap image.bmp

Edited by Big Fifer