Squad announced for June fixtures

Donathan

8 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Why are you posting a picture of a back 5.

oh dear, don't you mean a back 3?  is it a three, is it a four or is it a five? 😂

Edited by 2426255

49 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I think Marshall is again in as a legacy pick to get him to 50 caps due to how much Clark likes him, given injury prevented him playing for QPR towards the end of the season.

If anything happened to Gordon and it was a choice between Marshall, Kelly and Clark, I'd 100% rather Marshall in goals 

If legacy pick you mean a legacy of being a very reliable goalkeeper for us in the past year, then you are correct.

30 minutes ago, greenockraver said:

Its possible taylor could start the ukraine game as robo is playing the CL final.

I don’t see Robertson being rested for such an important game but if he plays the CL final and the Ukraine game, and we do well enough to win that, and he subsequently plays in Cardiff too, there’s a 0% chance he’s playing three UNL games in a week. Taylor or Hickey will 100% start the Armenia game unless we lose to Ukraine and he gets his rest between Ukraine and Armenia. 

Edited by Donathan

1 hour ago, nessies long lost ghost said:

Maybe

I personally think Marshall is better than Zander Clarke and Liam Kelly

22 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

If anything happened to Gordon and it was a choice between Marshall, Kelly and Clark, I'd 100% rather Marshall in goals 

If legacy pick you mean a legacy of being a very reliable goalkeeper for us in the past year, then you are correct.

Totally, I’d also rather him over Kelly or Clark currently. However S. Clark has given off vibes previously that players need to be playing regularly to get in the squad which he hadn’t been doing.

I did state elsewhere on here a while ago that if Marshall could get a starting get at another Championship club or Scottish Premiership side for next season he’d be putting himself right back in contention. Which he has had done as you’d imagine he wouldn’t have signed for hibs without the assurance he’d be their starter. So hopefully he gets atleast 1 of the nation league games. It would be a real shame for him not to break 50 caps for us.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

28 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

oh dear, don't you mean a back 3?  is it a three, is it a four or is it a five? 😂

25 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

We play a back 5 and have done for more than 2 years now.

Back three and back five are entirely synonymous terms. Three centre halves and two wing backs. Some people consider wing backs to be part of the defence and some consider them midfielders but either way, 3-5-2 and 5-3-2 are the exact same formation (or 3-4-3/5-2-3) 

Totally, I’d also rather him over Kelly or Clark currently. However S. Clark has given off vibes previously that players need to be playing regularly to get in the squad which he hadn’t been doing.
I did state elsewhere on here a while ago that if Marshall could get a starting get at another Championship club or Scottish Premiership side for next season he’d be putting himself right back in contention. Which he has had done as you’d imagine he wouldn’t have signed for hibs without the assurance he’d be their starter. So hopefully he gets atleast 1 of the nation league games. It would be a real shame for him not to break 50 caps for us.
Marshall coming on for a couple of penalty shoot-outs would be a better way to push him closer to 50 than an Allan McGregor-esque cameo IMO. Then start him against Armenia.

5 hours ago, nessies long lost ghost said:

Assuming all are fit enough to start against Ukraine - I would go             

Gordon

Hendry Cooper McKenna 

Patterson                                                       Robertson

Gilmour McGregor

McGinn                                    Armstrong / Christie

Adams

If all are fit ( enough ) Souttar RCB

4 hours ago, Donathan said:

I wouldn’t rule out going to a back four. The 3-5-2/3-4-3 was implemented to fit KT and Robertson together so KT being absent could mean 4-3-3 is preferable 

Gordon

Patterson-Hendry-Hanley-Robertson

McTominay-Gilmour-McGregor

McGinn-Dykes-Adams

Of course, playing that lineup could easily switch to the 3-5-2 in game by just asking McTominay to drop back 

Mmmm , with Tierney out SSC might risk McTominay at RCB

4 hours ago, Donathan said:

3 options for what to do about Tierney, do you directly replace him with McKenna/Cooper/Hendry/Souttar, bring Robertson into LCB (with Taylor or Hickey at LWB) or change the formation altogether and have Robertson on the left side of a back four? 

Your first option  - McKenna

On 23/05/2022 at 18:43, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Why are you posting a picture of a back 5.

O'Donnell as the RWB is pushed up ready to engage the number 5 when he gets the ball

Robertson at LWB is tucked in with the ball on the opposite side of the park and sitting a bit deep to stop a dangerous ball being played in behind him to the winger

The 3 centre backs are holding a solid line.

On 23/05/2022 at 18:55, Jacky1990 said:

We play a back 5 and have done for more than 2 years now.

On 23/05/2022 at 19:21, Donathan said:

Back three and back five are entirely synonymous terms. Three centre halves and two wing backs. Some people consider wing backs to be part of the defence and some consider them midfielders but either way, 3-5-2 and 5-3-2 are the exact same formation (or 3-4-3/5-2-3) 

I don't agree. Steve Clarke's team don't hold a fixed shape the whole way through a match - They adjust their shape during a game based around various different factors. Whether you want to label it a 433, 451, 532, 352, 3412, 3421, 343, 523 is not important.

It's like anything, you can't just slap a label on a fairly complicated system and expect it to cover it.

24 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Ireland squad announced today. Tempting fate but their squad looks awful these days.

FTmaLJIXoAEPjZE?format=jpg&name=medium

ROI are in a similar position to where we were in 2018.  Their Luxembourg result was similar to ours in Kazakhstan.

The difference is that our younger and senior players were still at a higher level than their squad.  I suspect their 'recovery' as it were, will be less meteoric.

On the ROI Reddit, there's a post stating that 21-22 was the lowest number of ROI player hours in the English Premier League in living memory.  It rings true when you consider that only Coleman and Doherty have any real profile.  And in the instance of this squad, the former is ageing, and the latter is injured.

It's notable that of their 7 Premier League players, one is a promoted GK, two others are reserve GKs, two others are young squad players, and the other two are Duffy and Coleman.

The rest are Championship and League One players.  That seems to be a fairly low level, but then the Wales squad has a very similar make up, and look how they play.

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Tempting fate but their squad looks awful these days.

1 hour ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

That seems to be a fairly low level, but then the Wales squad has a very similar make up, and look how they play.

People always say this kind of thing. It's all about how well they work as a team. Remember our games against Moldova, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg and Israel if you want to shake yourself out of thinking it will be a gimme.

13 hours ago, 2426255 said:

People always say this kind of thing. It's all about how well they work as a team. Remember our games against Moldova, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg and Israel if you want to shake yourself out of thinking it will be a gimme.

We really don't need another international break of you boring the forum to death about underestimating the opposition but thanks anyway.

Ireland won’t be a “gimme” but failing to take at least 4 points from them in the UNL would be very disappointing. We should really be looking to win that section if we harbour ambitions to become regulars at the World Cup/knockout stages of the euros in the coming years