Squad announced for June fixtures

Donathan

I wouldn’t rule out going to a back four. The 3-5-2/3-4-3 was implemented to fit KT and Robertson together so KT being absent could mean 4-3-3 is preferable 

Gordon

Patterson-Hendry-Hanley-Robertson

McTominay-Gilmour-McGregor

McGinn-Dykes-Adams

Of course, playing that lineup could easily switch to the 3-5-2 in game by just asking McTominay to drop back 

15 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Good squad, makes sense - happy with it given the circumstances. LCB still unsettles me a little, but I've more or less made peace with Liam Cooper and Scott McKenna being the designated replacements.

Yes gutted KT is out, but if the options were him missing these games and being fit for the World Cup or vice versa I'd definitely prefer the former.

7 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I wouldn’t rule out going to a back four.

The team shape changes frequently throughout the game according to changes in the phase of play and so on. I expect the plan going forward will be to continue doing the same sort of things we have been doing over the past 6 - 12 months.

17 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Yes gutted KT is out, but if the options were him missing these games and being fit for the World Cup or vice versa I'd definitely prefer the former.

There's also the very possible option that he's unfit for these playoffs and fighting fit for the World Cup... that we haven't qualified for 😕

Tienry missing is a massive setback, but on the positive side: practically everyone else we'd want there is there.

Makes me wonder what/who I would trade out for KT to be in?

Any/All of these 10, probably:

Zander Clark
Liam Kelly

Stephen O'Donnell
Anthony Ralston
John Souttar
Greg Taylor

Lewis Ferguson
David Turnbull

Jacob Brown
Ross Stewart

No harm to any of them, but they just seem very bobbinsy compared to Tierney in terms of how crucial they are to the way Scotland operate at the moment.

Robbo's still got to get through a game next week too.

Some of the comments on twitter and instagram over O'Donnell are chronic. Few have been a bigger critic of him in the Motherwell thread due to this club form than me but in dark blue he is dependable if nowhere near as classy as the other side of the defence.

When Clarke is taking 4 keepers, having three RB's doesn't seem a mental shout to have all the Scott Wright fans ringing their hands about it. As if it's a direct replacement and SOD is taking his place away from him.

Gordon   

Ralston Hanley Hendry

McTominay                   Robertson

McGinn McGregor

Gilmour

Dykes Adams

Our centre backs gives me the fear however.

6 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Robbo's still got to get through a game next week too.

Some of the comments on twitter and instagram over O'Donnell are chronic. Few have been a bigger critic of him in the Motherwell thread due to this club form than me but in dark blue he is dependable if nowhere near as classy as the other side of the defence.

When Clarke is taking 4 keepers, having three RB's doesn't seem a mental shout to have all the Scott Wright fans ringing their hands about it. As if it's a direct replacement and SOD is taking his place away from him.

Gordon   

Ralston Hanley Hendry

McTominay                   Robertson

McGinn McGregor

Gilmour

Dykes Adams

Our centre backs gives me the fear however.

I assume you have put Ralston and Mctominay the wrong way round in that team?

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

I assume you have put Ralston and Mctominay the wrong way round in that team?

I actually had it the other way and changed it back. I just think McTominay would offer more with is engine however he has played as part of a back three in the past. Just don't think we're getting the best out him playing him there.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

I wouldn’t rule out going to a back four. The 3-5-2/3-4-3 was implemented to fit KT and Robertson together so KT being absent could mean 4-3-3 is preferable 

There is more chance of me waking up tomorrow morning next to Scarlett Johansson than us switching to 4 at the back for the Ukraine game.

We have kept to the general 5-3-2/3-4-3 formation for about two years now, even when Robertson or Tierney havent been playing or when we've played inferior teams. We havent even changed it when we have been chasing games. We are not going to change formation now.

McKenna or Cooper will play in place of Tierney.

10 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

There is more chance of me waking up tomorrow morning next to Scarlett Johansson than us switching to 4 at the back for the Ukraine game.

We have kept to the general 5-3-2/3-4-3 formation for about two years now, even when Robertson or Tierney havent been playing or when we've played inferior teams. We havent even changed it when we have been chasing games. We are not going to change formation now.

McKenna or Cooper will play in place of Tierney.

back4.png.d0e20f131b4bb199bbcca747fe83e093.png

We sometime change to a back four depending on the phase of play. I don't see why people get so hung up over this.

Just now, Donathan said:

By that logic Robertson also won’t play against Ukraine? 

Slightly different. There isn't much difference in quality between Cooper and McKenna who will have virtually no time with the squad before Wednesday. Robertson is the captain, will arrive a day earlier and is much more accustomed to the players around him.

4 minutes ago, TeeMan said:

Slightly different. There isn't much difference in quality between Cooper and McKenna who will have virtually no time with the squad before Wednesday. Robertson is the captain, will arrive a day earlier and is much more accustomed to the players around him.

I like your thinking. 

I probably wouldn't have called up four goalkeepers but I don't understand why folk are so raging about it. Clarke isn't restricted to 28 players, so the goalkeepers aren't blocking someone else getting in the squad. Just feels like The Usual Suspects* wanting to yell about something on Squad Day.

*not on here tbf

The rangers fans are funny. They have been questioning scott wright most of the season. He scored a goal in the Scottish cup final and plays in europa league final and suddenly they want him starting for Scotland

17 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I probably wouldn't have called up four goalkeepers but I don't understand why folk are so raging about it. Clarke isn't restricted to 28 players, so the goalkeepers aren't blocking someone else getting in the squad. Just feels like The Usual Suspects* wanting to yell about something on Squad Day.

*not on here tbf

I think Marshall is again in as a legacy pick to get him to 50 caps due to how much Clark likes him, given injury prevented him playing for QPR towards the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I think Marshall is again in as a legacy pick to get him to 50 caps due to how much Clark likes him, given injury prevented him playing for QPR towards the end of the season.

Maybe

I personally think Marshall is better than Zander Clarke and Liam Kelly

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

back4.png.d0e20f131b4bb199bbcca747fe83e093.png

We sometime change to a back four depending on the phase of play. I don't see why people get so hung up over this.

Why are you posting a picture of a back 5.

O'Donnell as the RWB is pushed up ready to engage the number 5 when he gets the ball

Robertson at LWB is tucked in with the ball on the opposite side of the park and sitting a bit deep to stop a dangerous ball being played in behind him to the winger

The 3 centre backs are holding a solid line.