The Nationalisation Thread

Lex

33 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

FWIW I'm not sure the current issues with Scotrail are *really* Scotgovs fault. They took over the service like two months ago, and just like when the franchises change hands like where I once worked (East Coast, VTEC, LNER in the space of around 5 years) the folk running the business remain largely the same. Inflation is at it's highest point for decades and it's pay rise time for workers. Having been a member of the RMT in the past, I am assuming they are fighting for a big rise in line with increasing living costs which Scotrail won't want to provide. So the current shitshow(s) with Scotrail and the other TOCS are unsurprising.

Rail services being privatised is quite a stupid idea in general though. When things get privatised it's in the hope that the "free market" provides a better service and value for consumers but there's not really a "free market" for trains because you only have so many trains. The free market doesn't really exist here. 

On things like energy, I am more inclined to want to see this nationalised but I'm quite ignorant on that sector. To me it feels somewhat similar, it's the "same" gas and leccy being piped into your houses (with the infrastructure I assume having been state funded AKA taxpayers at one point) so again the "free market" aspect of this starts to look a bit sketchy to me. 

Agree with a lot of that, but Scotgov, cannot absolve itself because it took over the franchise 2 months ago. Scotrail has been run under EMA since 2020 and Transport Scotland has overall oversight so it should have known about this. 

However, like you say management etc tend to stay the same. This isn't a strike or action, staff just seem peeved off and are declining overtime, so there seems to have been a breakdown in relations. 

Trains trains were never truly privatised in any case. It was all a bit botched. 

9 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Agree with a lot of that, but Scotgov, cannot absolve itself because it took over the franchise 2 months ago. Scotrail has been run under EMA since 2020 and Transport Scotland has overall oversight so it should have known about this. 

However, like you say management etc tend to stay the same. This isn't a strike or action, staff just seem peeved off and are declining overtime, so there seems to have been a breakdown in relations. 

Trains trains were never truly privatised in any case. It was all a bit botched. 

I am not sure what you mean here - if you mean the cost of living increases (and therefore wage increase negotiation) even the Bank of England hadn't forecasted inflation to be as high as it is. 

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Nationalise the Challenge Cup. Winners get a day out at Holyrood. Each team needs to have an MSP in the Starting XI

Couldn't make it any more of a farce TBH.

Would probably increase gates too. Who wouldn't buy a ticket to hurl abuse at their MSP for ninety minutes?

1 minute ago, Big Fifer said:

I am not sure what you mean here - if you mean the cost of living increases (and therefore wage increase negotiation) even the Bank of England hadn't forecasted inflation to be as high as it is. 

No the shortage of staff and the poor industrial relations. 

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Couldn't make it any more of a farce TBH.

Would probably increase gates too. Who wouldn't buy a ticket to hurl abuse at their MSP for ninety minutes?

Imagine the laugh e'yd get if ye drew Linfield and some Bunfield DUP heid-the-baw was playing in goals. 

37 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Two months.

ScotRail goes back into public ownership - BBC News

On what time scale do you think would be appropriate to expect the government to be able to turn things around as regards timetabling?

I didn't realise it was (almost) 2 months now, sorry. 

The private sector had 25 years. You clearly regard that as insufficient so lets go for thirty. 

25 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I didn't realise it was (almost) 2 months now, sorry. 

The private sector had 25 years. You clearly regard that as insufficient so lets go for thirty. 

Just remember, however, the SG had quite a lead in time to get this right.

They must have known all those problems.

Presumably, they did some ‘due diligence’ - or maybe not??

There's also the elephant in the room that is Network Rail - it genuinely isn't fit for purpose.

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Imagine the laugh e'yd get if ye drew Linfield and some Bunfield DUP heid-the-baw was playing in goals. 

I’d quite happily stump for PPV to watch Murdo Fraser being told he’s to pick up Carter-Vickers at corners. 

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
5 hours ago, flyingscot said:

There's also the elephant in the room that is Network Rail - it genuinely isn't fit for purpose.

What’s Network Rail got to do with this?

Just remember, however, the SG had quite a lead in time to get this right.
They must have known all those problems.
Presumably, they did some ‘due diligence’ - or maybe not??
Are you suggesting that the ScotGov. train drivers and enter into wage negotiations on behalf of a private company?

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

One or two of you guys need to realise that criticism of the SNP is not the same as someone slapping your sainted mother across the face with a wet herring. 😂

And by the same token, the peanut gallery needs to realise that not *everything* bad that happens is the SNP's fault.