Best player in Scottish Football?

2 hours ago, bennett said:

For Rangers it's probably Bassey. He's been outstanding and became a first team regular at centre back and left back,  some of his marauding runs are amazing.

Tav is a close second, his goals and assists are unbelievable. 

For celtic there's obviously plenty to choose from with Kyogo, Meadda(spelling), CCTV, Colin McGregor etc to choose from.

But you can't ignore Kevin Clancy,  he's produced the goods for them when it mattered.

So are you guys the victims again this week? You said it was us last week. I canny keep up, ben.

13 minutes ago, Henrik's tongue said:

So are you guys the victims again this week? You said it was us last week. I canny keep up, ben.

Your GP should be able to help you there Hen.

8 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Bassey is a wild shout. Not particularly great on the ball, but very quick and strong. He'll need more than that to excel in the Barclays.

A lot of the great recovery challenges are of his own doing due to his poor positioning. 

It’ll need £20m to “prise” him away from Rangers, apparently.

40 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Bassey is a wild shout. Not particularly great on the ball, but very quick and strong. He'll need more than that to excel in the Barclays.

A lot of the great recovery challenges are of his own doing due to his poor positioning. 

He'll make it there as a full back/wing back, quite easily IMO if he picks the right club.

Bassey's had a cracking couple of months and certainly has the physical attributes to do better in the likes of the EPL than others but he's not the best for me. Would have quite a few ahead but top of the list for me has to be Craig Gordon.

Does he still have a massive arse? Likeable wee chap from Scone and one I felt when he was younger would be playing at a higher level than he is.

I reckon he would be more than capable of playing in the Championship but I believe he’s a full time coach with the Dundee United youth setup so that would limit his options significantly. Will try and pay more attention to the size of his arse next season and report back to you.

Calum McGregor is actually quite a good shout, and I only wish he had went and tried his hand in England to see what he could have done down there against a better standard of opposition. 90% of games in Scotland will see him spend his time collecting the ball from his centre halves under minimal pressure, and apart from Rangers and possibly Hearts at Tynecastle, he’s not matching up against the opposing centre mids. 

He has performed well for Scotland recently too, in games where he has needed to match up against opposing midfielders. I think it was the home game with Israel where he played extremely well; fighting aggressively for every ball, winning possession back high up the pitch and moving the ball on once he had won it. He’s obviously not on the same level, but when he’s playing in that aggressive manner he reminds me of Marco Verrati. Being strong but fair in the tackle, stopping counter attacks before they start and moving the ball on safely and accurately. I think he could have had a career in the Premier League if he so pleased. Maybe in a team like Brighton where they play with a defensive set up but constantly trying to press their opponents and spring counter attacks. I think it’s too late for him now and he’s destined to see his days out at Celtic. 

I'm never inclined to suggest an OF player for polls like these because at least 8 teams will go to Ibrox and Parkhead and park the bus and 5 or 6 will do it at home. Therefore they're not tested overly defensively and their dominance skews contributions up the the other end too. Doesn't diminish the quality difference between them and the rest of the league and the standard of player they can attract however.

When the OF face each other or are in Europe, Tavernier's record in Europe against quality opposition and his goals and defensive record is up there.

I'd look for players who can bring those around them up a level or take a game by the scruff of the neck. McGregor does have that, as does Watt and Charlie Adam despite playing at a lower level due to the gulf in money. I think Turnbull would have been on many a radar if he wasn't out for half the season.

Keepers are always measured differently from outfield players and Gordon stands out for me.

What's encouraging is of the 6 names I quoted, 5 are Scottish, just two are not far off being done.