Best player in Scottish Football?

2 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

Not the player of the year. 

Who's the player, John McGinn or big Virgl esq you think is a stand out in our game?

I would 100% go for Calvin Bassey. 

A year ago Oor Calvin (great name for a Rangers player) was a hard-working chap but a bombscare.  Scroll on 12 months and he graced a European final AND was today's MotM by some distance.

Shame we had Diallo and Aribo on the end of his crosses.  Buff - or maybe Roofey - would have buried at least one of them.

22 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

A year ago Oor Calvin (great name for a Rangers player) was a hard-working chap but a bombscare.  Scroll on 12 months and he graced a European final AND was today's MotM by some distance.

Shame we had Diallo and Aribo on the end of his crosses.  Buff - or maybe Roofey - would have buried at least one of them.

Kenny Miller 6 years back would have had a hattrick today very easily and you would be sitting Europa League winners. 

2 less obvious ones for me, though both play for Celtic.

I think Carter Vickers as he has played at the top of the championship successfully and could be a Premier League player.

Hatate is very skilful. 

Just now, Neilfs said:

2 less obvious ones for me, though both play for Celtic.

I think Carter Vickers as he has played at the top of the championship successfully and could be a Premier League player.

Ha tatte is very skilful. 

Pretty hurtful Liam Boyce nickname. 

4 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Kenny Miller 6 years back would have had a hattrick today very easily and you would be sitting Europa League winners. 

Almost certainly.  But let's not look back.  The pain from Spain is trickling down the drain.

10 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

Not the player of the year. 

Who's the player, John McGinn or big Virgl esq you think is a stand out in our game?

I would 100% go for Calvin Bassey. 

Bassey will be playing English Premier League football within the next two years imo. He was arguably MOTM in the Europa league final and had another excellent game yesterday. It must be so disheartening for players like Barrie McKay, built like the fat end of a 7 iron, to come up against him and be bullied off the ball so easily. He’s got thighs like a scrum half and an upper body comparable to a mid size fridge freezer, but also has the speed and athleticism that you wouldn’t normally associate with someone of that build.

I’m surprised so many English academies released him, as he has all the qualities of a player that could go on to have a very good career in the EPL. One of my Rangers supporting friends is saying they should cash in this summer and accept nothing less than £20M. I did say that transfer values of that level are very rare between players moving from Scotland to England, and it’s only Tierney and Edouard that have attracted bids of that size.

Was it £12M that Southampton paid Celtic for Van Dijk? If Rangers can get anything close to a figure like that then I think they would be doing very well for a player that they presumably only paid a small development fee for. 

8 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

Bassey has been a standout recently. A fantastic player. Wouldn't be surprised to see him back in English Premiership soon.

My lasting memory of Bassey, up until now, was Dyllan Connolly tearing him a new one, in our 3-2 victory against the blue bigots last season in the Betfred cup.

He was that bad he got hooked after our second goal.

Fair play to him, as he has been great this season.

7 minutes ago, FTOF said:

My lasting memory of Bassey, up until now, was Dyllan Connolly tearing him a new one, in our 3-2 victory against the blue bigots last season in the Betfred cup.

He was that bad he got hooked after our second goal.

Fair play to him, as he has been great this season.

I obviously watched that game and I remember Connolly running past him like Bassey was running through water, although it should be said Connolly is absolutely rapid and probably had his best game for St Mirren that night. He got hooked for Barisic the minute McGrath put us 2-1 up from an attack that came down his side. Barisic didn’t do too much better to be fair, and as you’ve said he seems to have improved quite drastically since then. An absolute unit for a man only 22 years old. 

Edit - Just rewatched the highlights you tagged there. That’s the one game that I am so gutted about no fans being there. What a moment that would have been when McCarthy scored at the end after Rangers equalising in the 90th minute, the place would have been bedlam. 

Edited by IrishBhoy