Pitch Invasions

On 23/05/2022 at 01:14, FreedomFarter said:

Milan fans pitch invaded at full time last night. Pioli the manager made it clear he wasn't accepting an embrace from any random fans as he firmly shoved off any who tried it. Soon so many fans came on the pitch that Pioli and his players had to retreat to the dressing room. Star player Leão was particularly mobbed as he tried to get off the pitch and he looked very disturbed by it. Random hands touching him on the head constantly, being bumped and jostled. Didn't look fun.

The players all made it off and regrouped in the dressing room, allowing the fans to get back to the stands, before re-emerging for the medal and trophy ceremonies. I tend to judge pitch invasions case by case and I thought this one was slightly shit. Probably not dangerous but they did wreck it for the players a bit.

We're now bang in "this is why we can't have nice things" territory. 

A day of reckoning will inevitably come where football fans need to put back in their place and the matchday will end up getting absolutely santised. As a Falkirk fan and no particular lover of pyro, i'm not that fussed, but its easy to see England reacting by making entry to to the football an absolute chore like concerts etc can be. 

A last day like Sunday for the #Barclays, which was then reversed by points deduction would be fucking hilarious though tbh.

It's bandwagon pish. It was happening before the pandemic so that isn't an excuse. Folk were seeing it happen and were running on to the pitch for random goals. Sevco scoring a second at Firhill is an example that comes to mind.

People tried to claim it was spontaneous, but that's utter pish. For years folk never jumped around on a pitch when their team scored a goal in a regular league fixture. Then for some reason it started up a few years back and very quickly became a trend.

The type of bandwagon idiots who do it are the ones who put 'Waterfall' on on the pub jukebox every game and who sing the same songs as everyone else ('Putting on a show'). They all dress pretty similarly too and have similar haircuts (there seems to be one for each age bracket). They film penalties. All trends.

It will probably die out a bit, but will then come back again.

I'm all for it when a team wins a league/promotion mind, but that's it. Anyone who assaults a player should be given a lifetime ban from all UK grounds, as well as a fine and a jail sentence and/or community service. 

On 20/05/2022 at 01:48, jamamafegan said:

It’s becoming a bit of thing now to pitch invade. What was once a pure novelty, it now seems fans are using any excuse to pitch invade - which for me ruins the spirit of doing it in the first place. And now it’s becoming an issue. Tonight there were pitch invasions at Everton and Port Vale with reports of Viera and Swindon players being assaulted. A Forest fan has just been jailed for head butting Billy Sharp.

I’ve been involved in two big pitch invasions twice at McDiarmid Park. Once when we got promoted in 2009 and again when we got to Europe in 2013 for the first time since 1999. They were good natured and felt right at the time. Another time a small number of fans invaded after we beat Luzern on penalties but they were roundly booed.

Have you ever pitch invaded? Is it ever appropriate to pitch invade?

I was a pitch invader at McDiarmid Park when we won the League Cup Semi-final against Airdrie on penalties. Also when we won the First Division at Starks Park against Dumbarton. Must have a been other times but those are the two that stick in my mind where a load of fans were on the pitch for a while.

I am okay with pitch invasions but some of them do seem a bit forced.

Around the same time (late 80s/early 90s) you used to regularly get pitch invasions at English games which turned ugly. The media loved it and every season would have scenes of violence from around the country. They couldn’t get enough and it was entertaining to watch. They even sold videos like Trouble on the Terraces. At least the current round of pitch invasions haven’t turned into battles on the pitch. Yet.

Edited by Scary Bear

On 24/05/2022 at 22:52, mizfit said:

I see Gareth Southgate has mentioned putting fans behind fences today.

Thankfully that won't ever be happening. Think it's illegal in England.

Edited by DA Baracus

Surely a line of police with truncheons would stop it? I know I’d think twice if there was a chance I’d get whacked with a truncheon. I’ve been involved in two pitch invasions, the two mentioned by @jamamafegan previously. It’s fine for about five minutes, then it gets a bit awkward sort of just milling about the pitch.

Scum b*****ds, those Saint-Etienne fans. All too predictable as well (at least I would think, the police looks rather surprised!). Looked like Auxerre's goalie has a cut down his face.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee