Pitch Invasions

The problem isn't so much the frequency of pitch invasions and more the conduct of the arseholes doing it. If you run to celebrate and it's just some spontaneous scenes then fine. If you run on to get in players' faces and/or get your social media content in then you can f**k off, and that seems to be the majority of them of late.

First pitch "invasion" I took part in was the last game on grass at Stirling Albion's Annfield. Meadowbank got promoted that day and Stirling fans were taking souvenir bits of the pitch. I tried to get my own only for a Central Scotland polisman to shoo me away "They'll need it for training, son"

Any invasions I've seen are usually at the end of games in celebration- At Muirton Park when St Johnstone won promotion from the Second Division for example. When the dugouts were on the stand side there was a Raith loonie who sprinted across the track at Meadowbank to give Frank Connor some tactical advice and was huckled away quickly before he got a smack in the pus from the late, great Ian Paisley lookalike. 

41 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

First pitch "invasion" I took part in was the last game on grass at Stirling Albion's Annfield. Meadowbank got promoted that day and Stirling fans were taking souvenir bits of the pitch. I tried to get my own only for a Central Scotland polisman to shoo me away "They'll need it for training, son"

Any invasions I've seen are usually at the end of games in celebration- At Muirton Park when St Johnstone won promotion from the Second Division for example. When the dugouts were on the stand side there was a Raith loonie who sprinted across the track at Meadowbank to give Frank Connor some tactical advice and was huckled away quickly before he got a smack in the pus from the late, great Ian Paisley lookalike. 

Did you feel in danger at any point 

13 hours ago, Squonk said:

The quick and obvious way of discouraging pitch invasions would be to have a set number of subsequent matches played behind closed doors. This would inevitably be deemed as too draconian by some, punishing the blameless club and the vast majority of innocent fans, but if the alternative is a lasting fear of injuries or even death on the pitch, then it's a no-brainer. Another understandably unpopular alternative would involve the reintroduction of perimeter fencing/barriers.

It'll never happen in Scotland though, because the bigger supported clubs in particular will never agree to strict liability, despite the fact that they already have to meet certain safety criteria in order to satisfy stadium licensing requirements. It's already an accepted convention that other licensed premises, such as pubs and nightclubs, can be temporarily or permanently closed down as a result of the behaviour of their clientele, and regardless of the licensee taking all necessary precautions.

There are claims that pitch invasions are simply spontaneous and uncontrollable outbursts of unbridled joy and passion, yet the spate of recent instances are clearly copy-cat in nature. Also, why only football matches? Why don't people feel the urge to rush the cinema screen, theatre or opera stage, athletics track, music venue?

Bring back fences

That'll sort it 

I don’t mind a pitch invasion if celebrating winning something and as long as at your own ground. So like winning the league or getting promoted. Running on the pitch to celebrate avoiding relegation or getting to a play off final is tinpot as f**k. Also shouldn’t be allowed to pitch invade at a cup final

However, anyone who runs onto the park to goad opposition players or fans needs shot.

Anyone invading the pitch at Old Trafford runs the risk of being voted MOTM, that said, the coked up w****r incursions has to be stopped or the fences will go back up. That lad,lad,lad who hit Billy Sharp is on £4.5k a month, WTAF? If you are making that much money, you need to be punished more harshly than someone who is behaving like a sheep because they want to be on a Reality show  & think that might work for the £££££s. Life ban from all Football Grounds, minimum 4 year Jail sentence & the Coked up arseholes will stop immediately.

On 20/05/2022 at 18:41, ConcernedReferee said:

I think it's on the rise in general, hear about pubs using a spray that coats toilets and sinks and even baby changing stations with this film which leaves any cocaine taken from that surface with a bitter taste. 

It's not a new thing, doing some googling shows pubs tried with the same thing in 2005 with WD40, lol, but yeah, i don't think it's a diminishing problem 

Pubs were spraying wd40 on the cisterns way back in the mid 90s when I started first going out.

Getting ridiculous now, seems to be every game down south recently.  Pitch invasions are fine as long as you’re going on to celebrate a great achievement by the club but anyone getting in opposition players faces or assaulting them is a grade A c**t of the highest order. Offenders should be given the harshest punishments before we end up back behind fences again. Folk wonder why we still have an alcohol ban in Scotland, won’t see it lifted when idiots can’t even manage to celebrate without causing mayhem.  

I think the Man City pitch invasion today was completely unnecessary. When they won the league in 2012, fair doos. They are no longer strangers to winning the league anymore and they were fully expected to seal the title today. Todays invasion just screamed of “this is a trend just now so let’s do it.” The worst bit about it seems to be the amount of fucking arseholes who are more interested in assaulting/getting in the faces of opposition teams players. The times I’ve pitch invaded, doing stuff like that never crossed my mind - I was just in state of euphoria and enjoying the novelty of running around the pitch. If Saints were to win the play off tomorrow I wouldn’t be surprised if some younger fans will decide to do it off the back off this trend, which would be an absolute minter for us.

Even the treatment to their own players seemed excessive.  Groups of stewards having to pull players to safety. 

Anyone with a phone out is a twat, you can not claim it to be a moment of jubilation if you're thoughts are to film it.

And yes, I too have been on a pitch. 

I think the Man City pitch invasion today was completely unnecessary. When they won the league in 2012, fair doos. They are no longer strangers to winning the league anymore and they were fully expected to seal the title today. Todays invasion just screamed of “this is a trend just now so let’s do it.” The worst bit about it seems to be the amount of fucking arseholes who are more interested in assaulting/getting in the faces of opposition teams players. The times I’ve pitch invaded, doing stuff like that never crossed my mind - I was just in state of euphoria and enjoying the novelty of running around the pitch. If Saints were to win the play off tomorrow I wouldn’t be surprised if some younger fans will decide to do it off the back off this trend, which would be an absolute minter for us.
Tbf Motherwell, Killie and St Mirren all had one when they won their play-off finals so it wouldn't be unusual for that occasion. I do agree that a lot of it feels bandwagon-y atm though.

Milan fans pitch invaded at full time last night. Pioli the manager made it clear he wasn't accepting an embrace from any random fans as he firmly shoved off any who tried it. Soon so many fans came on the pitch that Pioli and his players had to retreat to the dressing room. Star player Leão was particularly mobbed as he tried to get off the pitch and he looked very disturbed by it. Random hands touching him on the head constantly, being bumped and jostled. Didn't look fun.

The players all made it off and regrouped in the dressing room, allowing the fans to get back to the stands, before re-emerging for the medal and trophy ceremonies. I tend to judge pitch invasions case by case and I thought this one was slightly shit. Probably not dangerous but they did wreck it for the players a bit.

Edited by FreedomFarter

14 hours ago, Michael W said:

Another player assaulted. 

Changed days, when Dundee fans invaded Kilbowie four of them tried to assault the Bankies keeper. He placated one so firmly the other 3 ran away.