Monkeypox

9 hours ago, Detournement said:

We'll all be "encouraged" to get the smallpox vaccine within 12 months. 

The one that's been around for more than 200 years and helped eradicate a major killer so that the last case was in 1978, that smallpox vaccine?

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Quite happily take a smallpox vaccine btw, ive read that the russians have a supply of the virus and i wouldnt put anything past them. 

I think the UK does too, at Porton Down 

The original vaccine was developed when Edward Jenner noticed that milkmaids tended not to get smallpox. They got the milder cowpox, from cows, which gave them immunisation from smallpox. 

So, get yourself a job at Robert Wiseman's to make sure...

I think the UK does too, at Porton Down 
The original vaccine was developed when Edward Jenner noticed that milkmaids tended not to get smallpox. They got the milder cowpox, from cows, which gave them immunisation from smallpox. 
So, get yourself a job at Robert Wiseman's to make sure...

Better getting Müllered.

Pretty sure we destroyed our smallpox(allegedly). So just the yanks and Russians having retained them.
I remember watching a programme about smallpox a long while back.
They sequenced it and were astounded to find a large part of its genome closely matched parts of our immune system.

Pet hamsters in homes with monkeypox cases are to be quarantined due to fears that the virus could spread through them.  I think that contrary to the name of the virus, it spreads through rodents.

5 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Pet hamsters in homes with monkeypox cases are to be quarantined due to fears that the virus could spread through them.  I think that contrary to the name of the virus, it spreads through rodents.

Poor hamsters. We know that covid hit their sperm count, now this.