Lisbon

I’m pretty certain that someone on here will have been, but I’ve no so looking for advice. I haven’t booked anything yet, but was looking at this and thought I’d get the P&B masses verdict. I’d be going with my partner in mid-September, and probably for a week.

Basically, is it any good?

Yeah, it’s really good (or so I thought anyway). Food is great, the people are nice and the wine is cheap. It’s very, very hilly away from the river front but that means you get some glorious views if you’re traipsing around. 

I’m not long back so feel free to fire out any questions.

4 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’m pretty certain that someone on here will have been, but I’ve no so looking for advice. I haven’t booked anything yet, but was looking at this and thought I’d get the P&B masses verdict. I’d be going with my partner in mid-September, and probably for a week.

Basically, is it any good?

Yes. Mid September sounds good, but you can't guarantee the weather there, unlike the Algarve. If you get fed up of traipsing up and down the hills you could take the train along the estuary to somewhere like Cascais for a swim, it's like a posh Blackpool. Get the hang of the tram network too.

Edited by welshbairn

Sintra is good for a day trip. A trip across the water to see the statue of Christ is also worth it. Of you go to the monastery at Belem, book your ticket in advance because the queue is fecking massive and there's no shade. Unbelievable levels of smugness from me when we strolled past them all to the front of the line.

If you visit the castle, don't do what I did and slip on the steps and fall on your arse, getting f**k all sympathy from an annoying American woman.

As previously mentioned, pasteis di nata are amazing. When you're in a restaurant and they bring bread, cheese etc after you sit down they will charge for it if you eat it so up to you if you take it.

On 19/05/2022 at 15:23, pozbaird said:

Have only been for a day trip off a cruise we were on that docked there. Was great for a day, but, like Barcelona, just about the entire feckin’ place was completely covered in graffiti. 

That's what puts me off cruising, getting to know the shitty areas around the docks in every great city.

• 1 year later...

Killing a bit time on my last day in Lisbon and have to admit that whilst I've enjoyed myself, I would hate to be here in the summer.

It's only March and the entire city centre feels like one extended 'Royal Mile at peak season'.  The most popular tram/bus are already standing-space only for 40 min trips (out to Belem for example), and queues are exceeding 30 mins.  Part of me feels guilty for adding to it.  Avoid the TimeOut market textbook tourist-trap like the plague and catch a quiet bus to Mercado de Campo Ourique instead, where there are mainly locals.  Don't waste valuable wine-drinking time queuing for that Santa Justa elevator. Instead, just walk up the small hill and onto the bridge viewpoint for free (we went down the lift instead, joined by just two others).

The 'Lisboa Card', which has saved me at least €25, is exceptional value.  Granted it's made me go to some strange places to extend my my money's worth, such as the cod & tile museums, but I found them far more interesting than expected.  An extension to the coach museum is in a classy former royal riding school at Belem; under the radar, hence nobody was there (polar opposite to the neighbouring monastery).

PXL_20240328_170259579.thumb.jpg.f38261f0b3ac088887a3464b5f2cabee.jpg

My top tip to anyone with such a card: organisation and consistency are not Portugal's strong points.  Some attractions require you to buy a separate ticket using your Lisboa Card whilst others accept the card as a ticket, and there's little to tell you this. Whilst the Oceanarium isn't fully on the card, it's excellent (recommended to me why a colleague from Lisbon), and I'm miffed as to why it gets so little attention on the guides.

PXL_20240327_182851858.thumb.jpg.acc4a64aa6d4589faa44a755524d23b6.jpg

Felt exceptionally smug in Sintra yesterday after joining what I thought was the queue to get a ticket for the massive pre-paid queue, only to get in ahead of the pre-paid folk lined up halfway down the hill.  Waltzed up to the Imitation Well (v.cool with the tunnel system btw) as one of the first dozen there.

Pasteil de nata, even those from the shop in Belem are massively overhyped imo.  The ginja shots (nothing to do with ginger) on the other hand are tremendous.  If one can, I'll be seeking out a bottle of that later today.

ETA: got onto the first tram/bus I could from the aforementioned Mercado after a fine feed to escape the rain last night.  Turned out to be the infamously crowded Tram 28.  As you can see, it's a bit quieter once folk start retiring to their hotels (we were the only ones left on this wee dodgem rollercoaster through Alfama, so just stayed on til the Metro station at the terminus):

PXL_20240328_214045979.thumb.jpg.8e15bf1fc2a6a64241e7d436a6454211.jpg

Edited by Hedgecutter