Brechin Travel Help Needed

WatfordFan

Hi All, apologies for the non football related post but I wondered if you can give me some advice.

I have an Uncle who sadly died last year and his wishes were to have his ashes scattered at a particular spot very near to Brechin, (where he was born). I live in London and will be doing this. The problem I'm having is trying to get to Brechin from London at a cost I can afford. This is where I could do with some assistance.

Train from Kings Cross to Montrose then across to Brechin is very expensive.
Flights from London to Edinburgh are OK price wise but then I can't find a way to get to Brechin from there, (by train or bus).

If anyone is able to offer any advice on how you'd make the journey then I'll be very grateful. Overnight stay is fine as I want to have a good look around.

Many Thanks

1 hour ago, WatfordFan said:

Hi All, apologies for the non football related post but I wondered if you can give me some advice.

I have an Uncle who sadly died last year and his wishes were to have his ashes scattered at a particular spot very near to Brechin, (where he was born). I live in London and will be doing this. The problem I'm having is trying to get to Brechin from London at a cost I can afford. This is where I could do with some assistance.

Flights from London to Edinburgh are OK price wise but then I can't find a way to get to Brechin from there, (by train or bus).

If anyone is able to offer any advice on how you'd make the journey then I'll be very grateful. Overnight stay is fine as I want to have a good look around.

Many Thanks

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/plan-a-journey/journey-results/journey-details?a[Category]=locality&a[Geocode][Grid][value]=WGS84&a[Geocode][Longitude]=-3.3636523813608363&a[Geocode][Latitude]=55.94902904263512&a[FullText]=Edinburgh+Airport%2C+City+Of+Edinburgh&a[LocalityData][LocalityId]=ZYX16271&a[id]=Edinburgh+Airport%2C+City+Of+Edinburgh&b[Category]=locality&b[Geocode][Grid][value]=WGS84&b[Geocode][Longitude]=-2.6581934762951938&b[Geocode][Latitude]=56.73283104878995&b[FullText]=Brechin%2C+Angus&b[LocalityData][LocalityId]=ZYX15825&b[id]=Brechin%2C+Angus&c=true&d=2022-05-18T12%3A15%3A00.000Z&e=Edinburgh+Airport%2C+City+Of+Edinburgh&f=Brechin%2C+Angus&g[ADULT]=1&g[total]=1&h=Balanced|2022-05-18T13%3A20%3A00|2022-05-18T17%3A18%3A59#

It might be worth looking at Lumo trains to Edinburgh, they aren't very frequent but often cheaper than LNER. From Edinburgh either book a separate train or take the Ember coach to Dundee, the latter is usually pretty cheap. From Dundee, bus 21 (Stagecoach) takes you to Brechin in about an hour (or bus 20 to Forfar and then change depending on which one comes first, 21 doesn't run at certain times).

Edited by Marten

How expensive is very expensive? You can go King's X to Montrose most weekends for about 130 with advance split tickets.

By the time you travel to a London airport, fly to Edinburgh, get from Edinburgh Airport to bus/rail and then get to Dundee or Montrose and another bus its all going to add up apart form being a huge amount of time.

If you can stretch to it I would definitely go direct to Montrose and get the bus.

Cheapest way I can find is Megabus London - Dundee, Stagecoach Dundee to Brechin for around £65-£70 return. They used to do ridiculously cheap seats on Megabus for like a fiver but I don't see them anymore

You would have to get the train from Edinburgh to either Dundee or Montrose then bus it from there. Not a massive amount of options for accommodation in Brechin however if you want to stay in the town itself I would recommend contacting Denbrae Cottage B&B, the owners are absolutely top class folk.

On 18/05/2022 at 12:03, WatfordFan said:

Many Thanks

If there's no rush to get the ashes spread, then Megabus from London as far as Dundee with cheap as chips advance booking is definitely your friend.  From there, bus to Brechin from Dundee for <£10 return.

Long haul bus isn't the most enjoyable of experiences tbh, but I've done Aberdeen to London return on Megabus and lived to tell this tale.  

8 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

If there's no rush to get the ashes spread, then Megabus from London as far as Dundee with cheap as chips advance booking is definitely your friend.  From there, bus to Brechin from Dundee for <£10 return.

Long haul bus isn't the most enjoyable of experiences tbh, but I've done Aberdeen to London return on Megabus and lived to tell this tale.  

He could post the ashes and get you to scatter them.