The Bullying Thread

11 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

The first couple of years of primary school (in England) were idyllic. Then my folks sort of split up and I ended up in this wee village school. It was only a few miles away but was a different world. Straight away the other boys and even the teachers were not very nice to me. Then it was constant name calling (I had a Scottish name and Scottish parents).  It made me really miserable at home, suddenly not having friends. 

I got fed up of it so decided to sort it out one break time. Went absolutely batshit and gave about 8 of them a doing. Got moved back to my old school and all was well again. 

Didn’t know you used to be a teacher ,what was it you taught PE? 

1 hour ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

In fairness the guy had been homophobic to one of my friends and had previously battered his own mum. 

I don’t know why but this made me laugh.

6 hours ago, Arthur daley said:

Not really a bullying story ,but the guy did leave within a week of starting the job, and not to make light of some of the stories on hear, but when I was younger i used to work in a shop, was abit like a kwick save,this old guy came to work in the store and was a typical old fella,kinda guy you would see down an old man’s pub or in the bookies ,he didn’t even understand what  downloading a patch from the Microsoft website was for . I used to give him abit of a hard time  calling him a old duffer, insulting him in front of the other staff in the canteen that kinda thing ,as I thought it was “boggin” that a old guy was working at that age ,especially as  I knew when I was his age I would be on a beach with a drink and a cigar,was some other old duffer there  Aswell but I kept him alone ,as he took the blame for me turning off a fridge one night. Coincidently he got headbutted off the old guy that I used to bully.  

Sounds like you’ve got a DRT heading for an RPB

I've been quite fortunate growing up that I never really encountered anything major bullying wise. I used to go the Scouts when I was wee and was getting some hassle from another boy. Was never physical and was mainly name calling and convincing others not to let me join in. Plucked up the courage to tell my old man who in turn spoke to the Scout leader. He was a friend of the family and he pulled me aside one evening in the hall and spoke to me about it. "I'm really sorry to hear you're getting getting hassle from this boy.....why don't you get him in the toilets and kick his c**t in" 😂 I never did pluck up the courage to do that and in the end the Scout leader spoke to the entire group about bullying etc and low and behold it stopped. 

How I wasn't bullied more in school is beyond me. I was the perfect target. Chubby, took an interest in my schooling and generally looked like a bit of a loner and a sitting duck. The catchment for my primary had surrounding streets that were notorious in Kirkcaldy as being the roughest in the toon so there were a lot of hardy boys that clearly had had some tough upbringings. But what got me accepted in amongst 'the lads' was the fact I liked football and was reliable at lunch times when we played our games. It helped as well that my primary school days were during the Rovers glory ear of the mid 90's meaning the bulk of our school were actually Rovers fans, as was I, so we all had something in common. These boys were mental though, some of the stuff they got up to during and after school was crazy however they were also responsible for convincing our headteacher to let me play for the school football team. I had never been picked to play before as these boys were all really good and I was always the one blowing out his arse. Our headteacher was very competitive and it was all about being the best school at football so there were a number of boys overlooked however she gathered all the people that wanted to play so she could gauge numbers and several of them chirped up that she should give me a chance. I'll never forget that and these were boys that were kicking f**k out of anyone that wandered into their street in the evenings. Several years ago I did find out that a couple of them are now dead and a number of them have done time in prison.

What's crazy is when I look at my own son (who is 10) and the similarities to when I was in primary school. My son is autistic so socially is a bit awkward, he wears glasses and has since been fitted with braces. He is an absolute walking target for wee dicks to poke fun at him. But he loves football, knows the game inside out and as such can contribute to footballing chat amongst his peers. That's all he wants to do at school, play football and chat football. He's now one of 'the lads' so to speak albeit his core group of pals aren't in the same catagory as who I was hanging out with at school. 

I suppose my point is, like fitbaw and you'll be fine.

Edited by Raithie

I could be incredibly naive here, but I get the impression that these young folks nowadays are a lot nicer to each other than when I was a kid.

Not that there won't be bullying and nastiness that goes on but, from what I've seen, they generally seem to treat each other better, and take a lot of the anti-bullying stuff to heart. Plus, I haven't seen any kids torturing small animals in the past twenty years, and that was disturbingly common where I grew up.

Being the specky ginger kid I never actually really got any shit in school.  I did get bullied a little bit in Primary one by two kids in Primary two.  Always together.  One day I saw the tougher one by his own and beat him using a piece of wood.  I didn't actually mind fighting.  In my primary school we organised a proper kids version of fight club in the 80's.  We in our year properly battered the f**k out each other, then played football.

High school wasn't much different.  I got an easy ride early on because I was good mates with someone who was quite tough and everyone knew it.  So aside from being name called and a few scraps, it wasn't bad.  Mostly because hard pal, and later on when you get to the age of smoking weed.  I had great weed connections via my sister.  I could get that no problem.  It's amazing how popular I became around 15.

15 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I could be incredibly naive here, but I get the impression that these young folks nowadays are a lot nicer to each other than when I was a kid.

Not that there won't be bullying and nastiness that goes on but, from what I've seen, they generally seem to treat each other better, and take a lot of the anti-bullying stuff to heart. Plus, I haven't seen any kids torturing small animals in the past twenty years, and that was disturbingly common where I grew up.

That's also my experience. Bullying, racism, homophobia was rife in the 70s when I was at school. Fights were almost a daily occurrence. My two went to school mostly in the late 90s/ early 00s and it had all become a bit more civilised. 

I think it's still there but it's probably went cyber now. Far easier and crueler to bully someone via PM/text messages nowadays I reckon.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think it's still there but it's probably went cyber now. Far easier and crueler to bully someone via PM/text messages nowadays I reckon.

It was easy enough to talk yourself into a kicking on the CB radios back in the day. Seem to remember where I grew up scraps where either about doo's or something somebody said on a cb channel. Halcyon days.

Packs of feral youths walking around the scheme looking for antenna rods sticking off tenement buildings 😂

14 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

That's also my experience. Bullying, racism, homophobia was rife in the 70s when I was at school. Fights were almost a daily occurrence. My two went to school mostly in the late 90s/ early 00s and it had all become a bit more civilised. 

I was in a pub in Montrose a couple of years ago and I noticed that there was a charity collection tin on the bar for the Montrose Academy LGBT Society. 

When I was at the Academy in the late 80s/early 90s homophobia was rife. Coming out would have led to serious bullying.

It's a step in the right direction if there's an LGBT Society there now and kids are comfortable with being themselves.

Edited by Paul Kersey

Mind when it was all the rage to nick badges from posh cars? We had the polis out lecturing us in assembly about that multiple times.

Panning windaes in on your own scheme = OK
Taking something minor & unimportant from a wealthy suburb = srs bsnss

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

Mind when it was all the rage to nick badges from posh cars? We had the polis out lecturing us in assembly about that multiple times.

Panning windaes in on your own scheme = OK
Taking something minor & unimportant from a wealthy suburb = srs bsnss

I do remember a fad for nicking Volkswagen badges. It was inspired by The Beastie Boys.

I still see a guy kicking about that was a bully at my school. He had an older brother who was mental (funnily enough due to lashing out at his tormentor) and he rode on his reputation.

He's 49 now and still has that air about him of being a total dick.

Had a few bad run ins as a youth 

When I was quite young there was one family that had about ten brothers (every scheme has them) and one of them took an absolute hatred to me and used to try and attack me at any given chance whilst always with at least one other brother or pal. One day got literally  chased home and got in my gate and my dear old gran who was originally from Dublin and wouldn't put up with any shite came out to see what the ruckus was about. Told her I'd been chased so she told the bully that me and him were having a fight out the back one on one to sort it. I battered him and that was the end of it. Ended up playing in a fives team with the brothers a few years later.

Got through Primary unscathed as I was good pals with some of the hard men so not a problem but when we all got split up in secondary I had no mates from primary in my class so it was starting from scratch. I still look back and think of it like the first day in jail, should've just battered a big lad on day one and probably would've had an easy time but never happened so being quite quiet and keeping myself to myself, eventually got some grief. Few supposed hardmen trying to have a go and a few actual hardmen taking the piss. Shrugged it all off as much as I could until one day a boy I went to primary with started to show off and asked me out for a fight at the top gates at lunchtime. Well he never turned up but in the way back to registration I saw him and hit first before a second punch could be thrown a teacher grabbed us both and straight to the headmaster. In hindsight we were both victims of bullying, he was essentially bullied  into fighting when he didn't want to and I was the victim I suppose.

After about fourth year things got a lot easier, most the absolute bams had left and everyone went into their own wee groups. We were the ones that listened to decent music, smoked at lunchtime and could get a hold of soap bar so were left to our own devices but really the first few years of secondary school were horrid and I went to a particularly horrid school. Looking back a good few folk that bullied me are now dead through one way or another which is tragic but you could see how their lives would go 

Edited by Bert Raccoon

I got it fairly bad throughout school for having glasses and being relatively wee - it never really got physical but the school/town were small enough for me to get stuff shouted around me for what felt like every time I left my house, even on my paper round.

There was no dread like the dread when I saw one of the worst perpetrators coming towards me, knowing that you’re about to get shit. Even when I made news pals and had a girlfriend, it was embarrassing getting stuff shouted at you.

These days I’m very conscious of trying to make sure everybody in my mates groups are included/invited to things and I’ll pull people up if they’re being dicks to people unnecessarily. 

4 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

I got it fairly bad throughout school for having glasses and being relatively wee - it never really got physical but the school/town were small enough for me to get stuff shouted around me for what felt like every time I left my house, even on my paper round.

There was no dread like the dread when I saw one of the worst perpetrators coming towards me, knowing that you’re about to get shit. Even when I made news pals and had a girlfriend, it was embarrassing getting stuff shouted at you.

These days I’m very conscious of trying to make sure everybody in my mates groups are included/invited to things and I’ll pull people up if they’re being dicks to people unnecessarily. 

^^^Specky Magecky!

2 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

smoked at lunchtime and could get a hold of soap bar

Soap bar, that’s a blast from the past ,finding random bits of plastic in a 9 bar when cutting it up ,Kunts trying to sell  soft pollen  or Squidgy Black for silly money lol