The Bullying Thread

I was bullied by my brother who was 5 years older than me. He would even encourage older boys to knock f**k out of me when I was, on the odd occasion,  in his company playing football. It stopped one day when he was chasing me in the house and i got ahead of him by a distance and waited behind a door. As  he approached at full pelt I pushed the door into him with all the force I could muster. I knocked him clean off his feet and he was unconscious for some minutes before coming to. He didn't touch me again after that. He was the exact antithesis of how a big brother should be and I haven't spoken to him for over 5 years and feel all the better for it.

Edited by Joe Terrapin

4 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

How did workies go from sending someone into the shop to get bubbles for the spirit level to blow torches and brooms up the arse? Srs question.

Learned it from the Canadians imo Affidavits outline alleged abuse, harassment and hazing in junior hockey - TSN.ca

I work for the royal mail.  The company has a huge never ending problem with bullying.  I suppose every large company has these issues.  But nothing ever gets done.

Had a few fights in school.  Won some, lost some.  Used to batter some wee kid on my estate about four years younger than me.  Saw him in the toilets of a nightclub once.

2 hours ago, velo army said:

A pal of mine was bullied so bad it made national news. He was the classic specky introvert 

I've definitely been a bully at work, mainly when I was in hospitality. I hid behind the "doesn't suffer fools gladly" and would steamroller over people 

Your pal a work colleague ? 

32 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

How did workies go from sending someone into the shop to get bubbles for the spirit level to blow torches and brooms up the arse? Srs question.

I once worked in a place - but a different department - where it was mostly foreign labour and young kids. One of the Polish guys was a fucking knobber and would put his sander on the young guys back  when they were working on his bench to much hilarity from the other knobbers.

One day a young guy had a hammer in his hand and melted the Polish guys kneecap instantly after he done the old sander 'joke'. 

40 minutes ago, Joe Terrapin said:

I was bullied by my brother who was 5 years older than me. He would even encourage older boys to knock f**k out of me when I was, on the odd occasion,  in his company playing football. It stopped one day when he was chasing me in the house and i got ahead of him by a distance and waited behind a door. As  he approached at full pelt I pushed the door into him with all the force I could muster. I knocked him clean off his feet and he was unconscious for some minutes before coming to. He didn't touch me again after that. He was the exact antithesis of how a big brother should be and I haven't spoken to him for over 5 years and feel all the better for it.

I had an older brother like that. When I was about 3 years old he would give me polythene bags to play with, but had deliberately wiped out the warnings with a marker pen about how young children can suffocate playing with such bags.

The fact that I couldn't read or write at that age didn't matter. He blacked out these warning messages just in case.

Nice guy.... RIP big brother.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

In the good old days, if you went home and told your parents (the people who should be protecting you), that you had been bullied at school, they'd have skelped you for not fighting back.

That generation really has a fucking brass neck criticising the generation of parents who came after them.

Bullying isn't taken seriously enough. Never has been. And because it's not dealt with at school level, many of these b*****ds just continue it into adulthood.

It's a true saying though that the second you stand up to a bully, 9 times out of 10 they back down.

Wish I'd known this sooner. I put up with a few years of it until I snapped and thumped one of them. The trouble stopped overnight.

Yeah that happened to me. I was getting hassle from a guy when I was at high school and he was in my art class. One day when the teacher left the room he got hold of my bag and was away to go into it - I snapped and had enough, started punching f**k out of him. He was so nice to me after that and I got away with it as I was otherwise the most well-behaved kid you could want.

After that I must admit I pretty much learnt to be aggressive with anyone who started on me, but not unless they tried to hurt me first. I’ve had to unlearn that as you can’t hit people who try to bully you when they are your boss. 

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Ah the good old days of weans battering each other or being battered by adults for not resorting to physical violence.

Makes you feel nice and gooey! Such nostalgia.

The level of violence used against children not that long ago was pretty staggering.  My parents are boomers, born in the mid 1940s, and when they were growing up they were routinely beaten.  My dad in partricular likes telling stories about his mum who'd hit him with the vacuum cleaner cable and his dad who would be called upon to administer the real beatings when he did something pretty bad.  On one occasion he played truant from school to go swimming in the local river as it was a hot summer day.  He and his pals were caught and when his dad came home and found out he belted my dad using the leather strap that he had for sharpening his long bladed razor.  My grandad was a policeman as well.

They laugh about it now but they never laid a finger on us so they must know that it's wrong.

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

In the good old days, if you went home and told your parents (the people who should be protecting you), that you had been bullied at school, they'd have skelped you for not fighting back.

That generation really has a fucking brass neck criticising the generation of parents who came after them.

Bullying isn't taken seriously enough. Never has been. And because it's not dealt with at school level, many of these b*****ds just continue it into adulthood.

It's a true saying though that the second you stand up to a bully, 9 times out of 10 they back down.

Wish I'd known this sooner. I put up with a few years of it until I snapped and thumped one of them. The trouble stopped overnight.

Not a Gatlin boy was left standing.

35 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The level of violence used against children not that long ago was pretty staggering.  My parents are boomers, born in the mid 1940s, and when they were growing up they were routinely beaten.  My dad in partricular likes telling stories about his mum who'd hit him with the vacuum cleaner cable and his dad who would be called upon to administer the real beatings when he did something pretty bad.  On one occasion he played truant from school to go swimming in the local river as it was a hot summer day.  He and his pals were caught and when his dad came home and found out he belted my dad using the leather strap that he had for sharpening his long bladed razor.  My grandad was a policeman as well.

They laugh about it now but they never laid a finger on us so they must know that it's wrong.

It's crazy but good that most of the generation that were smacked about realised it wasn't a great way to treat children, bucking societal trends from way back.

3 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

I was bullied quite badly when I was about 10 by a guy in my street. We lived in a new build estate and were initially pals as there were so few kids which meant you either had to kick about with who was there or with no one at all. A few months in this guy decided he didn't like me and basically bullied me like f**k (constant ripping the piss, turning pals against me, giving me kickings for no apparent reason). There was about 4 years between us so at that age he was a good bit bigger than me but it also meant that after a couple of years he outgrew the "playing in the street" age so the bullying stopped by default more than anything else.

This isn't something I'm particularly proud of (well maybe a bit) but I saw him on a night out a few years ago for the first time in ages. He started talking away to me in the toilets as if we were old pals. I'm not sure if I expected him to apologise for making my life miserable for a good couple of years but a lot of old emotions came back to the surface and I decided there and then (in my drunken state) to kick his c**t in. Spent the next few days expecting a visit from the polis but nothing ever came of it.

Was it this c**t?

Shallow Grave - Rotten Tomatoes

One of my mates at school was getting bullied pretty badly and had been going to MMA classes 2 nights a week. One day he snapped and gave the bully an absolute doing in the PE changing rooms,  got suspended for a few days and the bully was in a state. He had a golf ball sized lump on his forehead and a black eye whereas my mate didn’t even have a scratch 😂 

3 hours ago, Left Back said:

I mind getting a hard time off a lad older than me when I was a kid.  I knew my old man had the exact mindset you described so I couldn’t go to him.  Ended up lamping the c**t with a cricket bat.  Parents round house doing their dinger and all sorts until my dad lamped his old man when the story came out.

Never happen these days 😂

Im horrified, what self respecting individual has a cricket bat.

19 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Im horrified, what self respecting individual has a cricket bat.

Someone who has a professional Yorkshireman as a dad.

He wouldn’t have approved of the hook off the front foot though.  Not in the MCC manual or a shot Boycott would have played.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Not sure what the employer could have done to stop it TBH.

Declared a policy on bullying?

A failure to have one is enough to draw attention to themselves from any self respecting inspector.