Pollok and Newlandsfield

Firstly, congratulations with the new Devil's Candles.

Secondly, hopefully all going well within the next few years we see all our top Wosfl clubs leaving for pastures new, never to return.

No much point in a pyramid if our top clubs are stuck in Tier 6 forever.

That brings me to Newlandsfield.

As football grounds go, Newlandsfield must be one of the most public transport friendly grounds in the country with a train station on its doorstep and a number of bus routes to and from the city centre.

Plus plenty of car parking space.

Add in a supermarket and Kilmarnock Rd on it's doorstep.

Compare that to coming out a night game in some isolated parts of Greater Glasgow.

Which brings to Newlandsfield itself.

How could Pollok hope to develop that ground going forward?

It's boxed in on every side.

Could it even be developed?

Where could you put seats?

I notice the capacity on the Pollok website stated as 4000.

Would Glasgow City Council allow that many in say for a cup tie in say, the big Scottish?

Would that blue car be allowed to park at the bottom of the coffee stall stairwell at a major game like it did last night?

Would a steward be there to open the gate and keep it open or do punters say, Hawd oan till i open the gate fully?

Fun times ahead with a capacity crowd.

Do you actually need seats to meet some criteria or other?
Not currently required for entry level licensing but imo it'll be required down the line as criteria gets changed like what happened with floodlights a few seasons back.

One step at a time. Getting the floodlights in was the initial big exercise, that has been achieved. As far as expanding the ground there is a little wiggle room but it’s very much what we have.

Seats aren’t something I’d personally use nor do I think they should be criteria until tier 2 at the minimum. The guys behind the scenes who dealt with the licensing are very clued up on it, know what’s required and will let the rest of us know what’s to be done next. 

retrofitting a ground like Pollok with seating risks ending up with a result that costs a few quid but is not really to anyone's benefit. Maybe a wee covered and seated section behind the club house end goal could work as it's probably already fairly accessable for folk with mobility problems. 

It's in the top couple of non league grounds (better than many a lower league ground too) imo so I would rather see subtle things like a lick of paint on the enclosure roof or a covered and hygienic pisser than box ticking projects. 

Probably the people i should  talk fo are the committee who got the floodlights.

If you bother to read 2 or 3 leagues further up you'll see the panic starting to set in.

Don't have 2 or 3 bad sessons or you could be playing in the Wosfl.

Same goes the opposite way for the likes of Pollok.

2 good seasons starting now and it's hello SPFL2.

Could Newlandsfield be adapted with maybe a covered seated area beside the new flats say and new turnstiles?

Edited by Glenconner

3 hours ago, Shanner said:

retrofitting a ground like Pollok with seating risks ending up with a result that costs a few quid but is not really to anyone's benefit. Maybe a wee covered and seated section behind the club house end goal could work as it's probably already fairly accessable for folk with mobility problems. 

It's in the top couple of non league grounds (better than many a lower league ground too) imo so I would rather see subtle things like a lick of paint on the enclosure roof or a covered and hygienic pisser than box ticking projects. 

If you need a piss there is spanking new toilets for you to visit - male, female and accessible toilets !!

In terms of where Pollok are now, I agree, we have an excellent ground for this level. And arguably the next few tiers too.

Toilet and disable access faculties suitable for the crowd size we get. A main stand, that while could do with some paint, is one of the things that make Newlandsfield the great ground it is.

Last night v Bankies was a prime example. Packed of fans cheering on their team, generating a great atmosphere with around 500 under the enclosure. 
Even going back to the 3-3 draw with Talbot when it was monsoon weather, and everyone was packed in the stand in a game with 1000 attendance - again the atmosphere that day was as good as I have seen at this level. 

In addition the whole way around the ground the standing areas allow good vantage points - not always the case for many clubs where it’s not tiered 

Additional covered space IMO isn’t really needed due to the size of the stand we have, and seating would be nice to have at the moment. I look at the grounds with seats in them and rarely do I see them half full. 

57 minutes ago, superpollok said:

If you need a piss there is spanking new toilets for you to visit - male, female and accessible toilets !!

In terms of where Pollok are now, I agree, we have an excellent ground for this level. And arguably the next few tiers too.

Toilet and disable access faculties suitable for the crowd size we get. A main stand, that while could do with some paint, is one of the things that make Newlandsfield the great ground it is.

Last night v Bankies was a prime example. Packed of fans cheering on their team, generating a great atmosphere with around 500 under the enclosure. 
Even going back to the 3-3 draw with Talbot when it was monsoon weather, and everyone was packed in the stand in a game with 1000 attendance - again the atmosphere that day was as good as I have seen at this level. 

In addition the whole way around the ground the standing areas allow good vantage points - not always the case for many clubs where it’s not tiered 

Additional covered space IMO isn’t really needed due to the size of the stand we have, and seating would be nice to have at the moment. I look at the grounds with seats in them and rarely do I see them half full. 

Or if you are feeling traditional the famous “Pish Wall” is still standing.

54 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Video from the perspective of someone in a wheelchair from the Clydebank game, showing the new covered area and toilets

Thanks For Sharing That, Ginaro! We Hope You Enjoyed Seeing The New Facilities & The Game From A Different View!

1 minute ago, LokFan said:

Thanks For Sharing That, Ginaro! We Hope You Enjoyed Seeing The New Facilities & The Game From A Different View!

Interesting place to have the shelter - maybe their next upgrade will be to install some netting to stop any wayward shots! :lol:

I have heard it said the walls for a seated stand were marked out on the terracing opposite the enclosure some time ago and I would like to see it there - I am sure it will happen one day. Keep the enclosure as it is.

Capacity wise, looking at the Montrose game from 2007, our biggest crowd in recent history, there is room beyond the 2000 that were there that day - but not sure the enclosure would get an official capacity that was especially high nowadays without added safety features. Again, I am sure these are in hand. It's great to see the ground really kick on from where it was. Also sad that we have lost some great people who did so much for the club and did not live to see it.

Edited by cmontheloknow