Jake Daniels

24 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

An enormous chunk of the racism, homophobia and general horrible online discourse amongst fans of English clubs comes from overseas fans, often in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. That's not to say there aren't problems with people in this country too, because there are.

There absolutely is a problem in this country. It mainly stems from a combination of ignorance and stupidity of the individuals involved but usually gets shot down pretty quickly.

The deeply ingrained intolerance of the overseas fans though from the areas you mention is absolutely overwhelming. There is almost zero voices of support.

I stupidly got into a debate with one earlier and asked him why it was so offensive to him that a 17 year old English lad coming out as gay was so deeply offensive to him as it had literally no impact on him, his life or his ability to function and all he could say was 'It's against Islam'. I pointed out in reply that the guy in question was not a Muslim so there was, once again, literally no impact on anything in his life. All he could respond with was '🤢'

That's the level of deeply ingrained backwards thinking you need to deal with. 

44 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

If FIFA & UEFA were serious about their laughable Respect programmes, that arsehole would be suspended & not make another penny from footbal until he renounces his bigoted ways. But they aren't so he will be free to spread his poisoned homophobic hatred.

The World Cup is being hosted in a country where homosexuality can see you jailed and can also, theoretically, result in the death penalty. 

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

The World Cup is being hosted in a country where homosexuality can see you jailed and can also, theoretically, result in the death penalty. 

Which was pretty much my point with regards to the ruling bodies view on Human Rights vs getting lots of money. They don't care & they never will as long as the 5* Gravy Train keeps running.

Bravo to Jake Daniels. Because of his bravery it will be much easier for each player who comes out after him.

To do all this at only 17 years old takes - unfortunately - a remarkable amount of courage.

Edited by captainkev

13 hours ago, Michael W said:

My brother is a gay man.

The hosting of a World Cup in a country in which he could be theoretically put to death merely for being himself is sickening IMO.

I am very disappointed that there has been no mass boycott of the Qatar World Cup.

On 16/05/2022 at 20:30, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

What makes it worse than the homophobic arsehole is the wee nyaffs defending a homophobic arsehole

Wee nyaffs and the pig-shit-for-brains president of Senegal.

"I support (Gueye). His religious convictions must be respected".

On 16/05/2022 at 21:26, djchapsticks said:

I stupidly got into a debate with one earlier and asked him why it was so offensive to him that a 17 year old English lad coming out as gay was so deeply offensive to him as it had literally no impact on him, his life or his ability to function and all he could say was 'It's against Islam'. I pointed out in reply that the guy in question was not a Muslim so there was, once again, literally no impact on anything in his life. All he could respond with was '🤢'

Elite level football discussion on most of social media is ruined by these c***s. Funny you mention their emoji use. Their idiotic tweets and bigoted comments are nearly always peppered with 🤣🤣🤣and the like. 

On 16/05/2022 at 20:28, Michael W said:

On the very same day, this story came out about a PSG player refusing to wear a shirt due to its anti-homophobia message. You'd like to hope this is a fairly isolated incident, but it's the sort of thing that will prevent players coming out. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/idrissa-gueye-accused-of-homophobia-after-psg-rainbow-match-boycott-dl8ntpgjm

That the only player I've seen refusing to show support for LGBTQ+ is one whose surname is literally pronounced "gay" is quite something.

Jake Daniels deserves all the credit in the world. The game has a historically difficult relationship with homophobia and dark age attitudes cost the last openly gay player his life and probably led to us not having another one for over 3 decades.

I hope his team mates stick an arm round him and tell him he will always be one of their own. 

Football is for everyone and I really hope that more players feel able to express who they are in the future. Ideally in a few years time, this won’t need to be front page news, but for now, it’s a special day for the game and for the LGBT community.

Dinosaurs like Idrissa Gueye can f**k off. He could do with learning a thing or two from the incredibly brave young man that is Jake Daniels. 

3 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

Wee nyaffs and the pig-shit-for-brains president of Senegal.

"I support (Gueye). His religious convictions must be respected".

Once again the “it’s ok to be a bigoted, homophobic c**t if you believe in sky fairies” defence raises its head.  Organised religion has a lot to answer for.

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Once again the “it’s ok to be a bigoted, homophobic c**t if you believe in sky fairies” defence raises its head.  Organised religion has a lot to answer for.

Indeed but I think that nonsense argument can be effectively countered. We can point out that the "freedom of religion" principle covers the identity rights of collectives. It does not cover all personal beliefs of every individual. Gueye's right to not be persecuted for being Muslim is covered by freedom of religion. His right to personally be a homophobe is not covered by it. There were Muslim players throughout the French league all playing last weekend wearing the pro-LGBT symbol. 

It's not even " I belive in Skyfaries", it's " I belive in somecunt who claims to have spoken to the sky fairy"

Either way Gueye is an asshole for this and as FreedonFarter pointed out, he's not the only Muslim in Ligue 1, the rest were adult enough to just get on with it

In some ways it's understandable that it's a young guy making the announcement and hopefully shattering the closet door - the younger generation are demanding the rights that should've been available all the time.

Please don't say it doesn't matter/none of our business.

It's definitely good in some ways that he has done this, but really depressing that it still has to be a thing that people do and that football is so far behind in terms of accepting gay players.

This. It's actually depressing that this does matter because in an ideal world (country) no one should be batting an eyelid with this news.

I find it sad that people still have to "come out" tbh. It still feels that by doing do it's different from the norm. I really hope by the time my daughters have partners that they can just bring a girl home rather than have to sit us down and tell us she's gay.

12 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Paul Embery is a diddy

I hadn't considered how brave it was to fake a sick day rather than address the issue he didn't agree with.

An enormous chunk of the racism, homophobia and general horrible online discourse amongst fans of English clubs comes from overseas fans, often in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. That's not to say there aren't problems with people in this country too, because there are.
Any Facebook post about Mason Greenwood was the same. Hundred of African and Asian accounts defending him, calling the victims liars and worse etc. Really weird.