Jake Daniels

Jake Daniels of Blackpool is the first active UK male footballer to come out as gay since Justin Fashanu.

Please don't say it doesn't matter/none of our business. This is huge for LGBT people in men's football and the representation of someone like me in the sport I love is huge.

12 minutes ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Jake Daniels of Blackpool is the first active UK male footballer to come out as gay since Justin Fashanu.

Please don't say it doesn't matter/none of our business. This is huge for LGBT people in men's football and the representation of someone like me in the sport I love is huge.

Good for him. That's taken some balls.

Part of me is a bit worried for him. 17 years old. I hope he has enough good people around him as he's going to get some awful abuse from the dregs of society.

36 minutes ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

He comes across so well in the interview. From what I've been reading he has an amazing support network around him which will serve him really well over the coming years.

Massive day for LGBT+ representation in men's football. You love to see it.

Just now, RH33 said:

Football.is still in the dark ages in many ways. Well don't to this young lad for hopefully leading the way for others.

I hope this will lead to more players being encouraged to be open about their sexuality. The sad thing however is that it is still somehow a big deal in this day and age, hopefully it is the first domino that leads to no one really giving a crap what sexuality players are, which is how it should be.

Very brave of him to come out, I fully support him.  That being said I hope that he doesn't mysteriously have difficulties finding clubs a few years down the line the way that American Football player Michael Sam's career prospects "mysteriously" dried up after he came out.

I'm delighted that he has reached the stage where he is comfortable coming out. It shouldn't be an issue, but it has been and it's a very brave thing to step up when others have not felt that they have been able to. Hopefully he will be well supported. 

On the very same day, this story came out about a PSG player refusing to wear a shirt due to its anti-homophobia message. You'd like to hope this is a fairly isolated incident, but it's the sort of thing that will prevent players coming out. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/idrissa-gueye-accused-of-homophobia-after-psg-rainbow-match-boycott-dl8ntpgjm

I'm delighted that he has reached the stage where he is comfortable coming out. It shouldn't be an issue, but it has been and it's a very brave thing to step up when others have not felt that they have been able to. Hopefully he will be well supported. 
On the very same day, this story came out about a PSG player refusing to wear a shirt due to its anti-homophobia message. You'd like to hope this is a fairly isolated incident, but it's the sort of thing that will prevent players coming out. 
 https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/idrissa-gueye-accused-of-homophobia-after-psg-rainbow-match-boycott-dl8ntpgjm
What makes it worse than the homophobic arsehole is the wee nyaffs defending a homophobic arsehole

1 minute ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:
3 minutes ago, Michael W said:

What makes it worse than the homophobic arsehole is the wee nyaffs defending a homophobic arsehole

"respect their culture" is parroted a lot in this discussion.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

"respect their culture" is parroted a lot in this discussion.

Their "culture" can f**k right off.

What a lad Jake Daniels is. Congratulations young man. The world will catch up with you at some point.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Middle Eastern football twitter is a hugely disappointing and desperate place.

Some of the replies to this news are utterly grim.

An enormous chunk of the racism, homophobia and general horrible online discourse amongst fans of English clubs comes from overseas fans, often in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. That's not to say there aren't problems with people in this country too, because there are.

4 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Well done Jake Daniels. f**k off Idrissa Gana Gueye.

If FIFA & UEFA were serious about their laughable Respect programmes, that arsehole would be suspended & not make another penny from footbal until he renounces his bigoted ways. But they aren't so he will be free to spread his poisoned homophobic hatred.

43 minutes ago, Michael W said:

It would be nice if Pochettino told him to get lost after that but that’s wishful thinking.

The sad thing is that whilst we would hope Daniels will be supported and accepted (and I think at club level he probably will be now, in a way he wouldn’t before) there will still be arseholes shouting homophobic abuse from the terraces.

It’s like a parallel world where people simultaneously accept and like gay people in general but still think nothing of calling him a **** when he fucks up on the pitch.

If FIFA & UEFA were serious about their laughable Respect programmes, that arsehole would be suspended & not make another penny from footbal until he renounces his bigoted ways. But they aren't so he will be free to spread his poisoned homophobic hatred.

I don't think there should be any action taken unless he actually explicitly expresses homophobic views. Any player should have the right not to participate in any campaign if they don't want to be involved in it. It's a very slippery slope if you want to make t-shirt campaigns or wearing certain logos mandatory for players, whatever the cause.

The correct approach is for the footballing world to laugh at his backwards views and for sponsors to distance themselves from him.