Jump to content

Lowland League promotion playoffs


Recommended Posts

I agree with the statement that "the West is stronger than the East".

.........but only because Kelty, Bonnyrigg Rose, Bo'ness United and Tranent have already made the step/steps up from the East.

Mon the East !!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Complete and utter disaster for the West Region.

Between players more interested in watching Rangers and a bizarre 38 game league.

Not to mention Darvel players going on a Stag do this weekend.

Embarrassing all round.

Congratulations and respect to Tranent.

I wish them every success going forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

I agree with the statement that "the West is stronger than the East".

.........but only because Kelty, Bonnyrigg Rose, Bo'ness United and Tranent have already made the step/steps up from the East.

Mon the East !!!
 

I also have a suspicion that the Ayrshire level 6 clubs ain’t interested in promotion to the LL. It’s to cosy for them to remain in the Ayrshire bubble, more competitive games against near neighbours and likely bigger crowds.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bravehearts dad said:

I also have a suspicion that the Ayrshire level 6 clubs ain’t interested in promotion to the LL. It’s to cosy for them to remain in the Ayrshire bubble, more competitive games against near neighbours and likely bigger crowds.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

Correct 

They want the cosy bubble and into the big Scottish Cup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

West clubs do often come across as being more parochial and Junior-obsessed than the east, although I'm sure there are a few chairman and fans who are keen to move up.

Anyway, congratulations to Tranent, it's good to see the LL slowly getting stronger despite the efforts of some of it's current member clubs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AlansHotBath said:

West clubs do often come across as being more parochial and Junior-obsessed than the east, although I'm sure there are a few chairman and fans who are keen to move up.

Anyway, congratulations to Tranent, it's good to see the LL slowly getting stronger despite the efforts of some of it's current member clubs.

I think the difference is that the East clubs moved gradually across from the juniors in order of reluctance, with the last holdouts that ended up forming Conference X only realising last season that the game was a bogey and moving across.

In the West, it's been done in a oner, and it's common knowledge that at least some of the clubs' preference was to remain junior...you can historically gauge who was who by the rough order that clubs initially declared an interest. There probably were around 15 or 20 clubs whose hands were more or less forced as the WOS applications piled in and the holdouts realised they'd end up playing in the kind of blasted hellscape that the last couple of seasons of the East juniors were.

The unfortunate result is that there are a minority of clubs who probably don't actually want to be there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

I think the difference is that the East clubs moved gradually across from the juniors in order of reluctance, with the last holdouts that ended up forming Conference X only realising last season that the game was a bogey and moving across.

In the West, it's been done in a oner, and it's common knowledge that at least some of the clubs' preference was to remain junior...you can historically gauge who was who by the rough order that clubs initially declared an interest. There probably were around 15 or 20 clubs whose hands were more or less forced as the WOS applications piled in and the holdouts realised they'd end up playing in the kind of blasted hellscape that the last couple of seasons of the East juniors were.

The unfortunate result is that there are a minority of clubs who probably don't actually want to be there.

The problem is some of the most reluctant clubs are at the very top of the West Region.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, bravehearts dad said:

I also have a suspicion that the Ayrshire level 6 clubs ain’t interested in promotion to the LL. It’s to cosy for them to remain in the Ayrshire bubble, more competitive games against near neighbours and likely bigger crowds.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

And most of them will have entry to the big Scottish.

See how long it takes one of them to win a playoff they don't really eant to be in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Glenconner said:

The problem is some of the most reluctant clubs are at the very top of the West Region.

Absolutely - the most reluctant ones seemed to fall into two categories; the ones nearer the bottom of the pile who are run by a handful of older dyed-in-the-wool sorts, and the ones who were content to be huge fish in a small pool hoovering up honours and were wary of the realistic prospect of advancing fairly quickly to a level where they were likely to get hosed every week.

As I said, I'd put the number at anything up to 20 clubs who joined the WOS more or less unwillingly because there was unlikely to be anything viable to remain in. If you look back through the old "Junior football - what is the future" megathread it's those ones who only broke cover and declared interest towards the very tail end of the application period when it was clear that regardless of what they thought well over half of the West Region was getting out of Dodge and potentially leaving them high and dry.

There was more of an appetite for change than most of the clubs are given credit for though - I was at the two meetings at Hampden and EK just before the first lockdown, and although there wasn't too much chance to mingle and shoot the shit I managed a few words with folk from other clubs at Hampden, including reps from a couple of "traditional" clubs I'd always assumed to be entrenched in the junior at all costs mindset. They'd done their homework though and were all for the WOS...that's when I knew it was definitely happening.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Think there's not much doubt Darvel wanted it so it's more Auchinleck Talbot that people are skeptical about on actually wanting to progress. Clydebank and Kilwinning are also clearly gung ho so you could argue most of the WoS's top 5 have their focus fixed on trying to make it to the SPFL now rather than chasing TJ's Holy Grail. Pollok seem to have soured on the SJFA this season after what happened with the Irvine Vics game.

I don't remember what unfolded with Tranent but worth bearing in mind that although the people who post on here (including Tynieness at the time) tended to be in favour, Bo'ness United's membership initially rejected the move to the EoS at a general meeting and the committee (minus Tynieness by that point) only did a U-turn at the very last minute along with Linlithgow Rose and Broxburn's (?) when they realised they were going to be left in a drastically weakened east superleague.

Two years later a licence was secured along with promotion to the LL so that initial reluctance didn't seem to lead to a desire to stick to the EoS premier. Even Bonnyrigg Rose leaving the east region was not without significant controversy AFAIR.

Edited by LongTimeLurker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Cowdenbeath were in the Championship seven years ago and next season they're playing Tranent Juniors in a league game.

No shit Sherlock, seven years ago you were a troll called poet and now you have a new name.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Cowdenbeath were in the Championship seven years ago and next season they're playing Tranent Juniors in a league game.

Just this season Dunfermline were in the Championship and next season they re playing Kelty Hearts in a league game !

That thought would have been just as mad 7 years ago.

Having watched Kelty knock my team out the Scottish cup this year, I wouldn’t rule out they beat you either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, strawman said:

Just this season Dunfermline were in the Championship and next season they re playing Kelty Hearts in a league game !

That thought would have been just as mad 7 years ago.

Having watched Kelty knock my team out the Scottish cup this year, I wouldn’t rule out they beat you either.

Not sure what that has to do with the Lowland League play-offs but thanks anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congrats to tranent.

Welcome to the shitehole that is the lowland league. Where we do what we want, when we want. And if the rules stop us, we will change them to suit.

Welcome aboard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/05/2022 at 07:56, Glenconner said:

No club in the West will go into the LL until until Talbot go first.

 

 

Not entirely true.

Clydebank are seeking promotion. regardless of Talbot, or any other leading West club.  It had been the Bankies intention to join the Lowland League during its' formative years, as a stepping stone towards SPFL status. However, the club fell victim to some  questionable 'threats' about a loss of home ground access, if they did so, and withdrew their interest.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Robert James said:

 

Not entirely true.

Clydebank are seeking promotion. regardless of Talbot, or any other leading West club.  It had been the Bankies intention to join the Lowland League during its' formative years, as a stepping stone towards SPFL status. However, the club fell victim to some  questionable 'threats' about a loss of home ground access, if they did so, and withdrew their interest.

 

 

Great wee story, Rab.

Hurry back when you've won the league.

lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...